“quaint and good situation”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
switzerland
“quaint and good situation”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

we had a twin room on top floor which was lovely but no view. the hotel was a little expensive but I think the prices are higher than in London so our room was average price. the closeness to the seafront was the reason for chosing the Queens hotel and we were very pleased with the choice. breakfast was a little crowded but we had a fab window table after our wait. the food was good - plenty of savoury things and could help yourself. did not see the spa area as no time. wifi worked mostly. would come back, although I expect it's very expensive in the summer...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your visit , and in particular our central location. It is great to see that although you had a short wait to be seated , you got a nice window table and were able to enjoy the sea views.
We look forward to seeing you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Norwich
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Came to Brighton for the first time and not sure what to expect. We had a third floor, seafront facing room which was delightful. Ok the decor could probably do with a spruce up and the floor (because of it's age) was a tad uneven but it was clean and tidy and fresh towels were forthcoming even if you did not think you needed them. All staff encountered were extremely pleasant and a decent buffet breakfast was available to set you up for the day.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your room , the breakfast buffet , found the staff to be friendly , and of course enjoyed your first visit to Brighton !
Im sure it wont be your last , and we hope that you will continue to visit our hotel .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend. We both had a standard double and the rooms were very clean, well equipped (had a plug socket next to the bed which pleased me :)).

The breakfast was included in our already very reasonable rate. It was tasty and there was plenty of it. Coffee and tea were brought to us at the table.

Also used the bar and the health club (pool, sauna etc - and also included in the rate) and they were great. Every member of staff I encountered was polite, friendly and helpful straight away from check in. Requested a late check out whcih was given with no problem. At check out we were offered a place to leave our bags.

I stayed in the Thistle (next door pretty much) a couple of times but I won't again. Queens is just as good at a better price and the location is great. Right next to the pier and short walk to the Lanes.

Will be back!

Room Tip: I didn't have a seaview - if you can, I'd go for that. It's extra I think but probably w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is really nice to see that you enjoyed your visit and that we managed to meet with your expectations throughout.
I agree with you about the benefits of having a seaview room for your next visit , as the views are always so wonderful.
Sydney
Reviewed 25 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Terrific location on beach - breakfast adequate and plentiful. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious, clean and comfortable. Plenty of parking next door. Good value for money in this expensive area.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne R
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
How lovely to see that you enjoyed your visit , finding our staff friendly , and your stay to have been good value for money.
We hope to enjoy your continued custom.
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Wonderful welcome, efficient, friendly and helpful reception staff, massive, well equipped room (I stayed in room 208 with my 5 year old son), with a standard double and a super-kingsized bed. Plenty of plump pillows, white linen, blackout curtains.......

My son was overjoyed with the big flatscreen tv, and huge deep bath. I was pleased to have a mini bar and a sofa to enjoy the unbeatable views of the beach and both piers.

The largest of the 3 windows in our room had been sealed shut, and the other 2 were limited to only opening a few centimetres for safety reasons - but the hotel had provided a fan in our wardrobe, so we were able to keep the room fresh and cool.

We had no seagull issues - although my little man would probably have loved them paying us a visit!!

We used the pool, which was a welcome benefit and one of the reasons I chose to stay at the Queens. My only complaint would be a bit of an odour around the pool, as if the drains had backed up - so slightly unpleasant, but no intolerable for our short swim.

My only real complaint about our stay was breakfast.... which is one of the worst I've ever had in a hotel. The buffet was ALL stone cold.... scrambled eggs were rubbery and hard, bacon greasy and tough, hash browns were soggy - the only edible element was the tomatoes, but you can't go far wrong opening a tin, and I don't mind them cold. My tea was served in a chipped mug, and was also cold; and my son helped himself to a glass of water from the juice dispenser only to find it was sparkling water (no option for still water) Who serves fizzy water at breakfast??! The toast was fine, but we made that ourselves - only 2 choices of jamthough; no marmite, honey or nutella option for kids. Very disappointing and I am sure they could do so much better. I left and took my little boy to costa for a decent cuppa and bite to eat that he'd enjoy.

Sadly the breakfast for many would be the last, and therefore lasting impression of the hotel..... I do hope they take note!!! We'd definitely come back again, as overall we had a really nice stay - but would be asking for a discount for not accepting their terrible breakfasts.

Room Tip: Sea View is well worth a few extra £'s!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that your breakfast experience put a slight damper on what by all accounts would have been an ideal visit .
I shall feedback your comments to our Food & Beverage team your comments , and they can address the concerns raised.
It is great to see that you are already thinking of returning , and I totally agree with you that it is always best to book one of the seaview rooms !
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in perfect location for Brighton Pier. It is right on the sea front and central for most places.

The hotel itself is ok although it requires a slight refurb.
The rooms are a little worn.

The only issue I had was that there is ledges outside most of the bedroom windows. This means large seagulls sit outside the window squawking and pecking at the window very very early in the morning. By place spikes on the ledges would stop this happening.
Obviously being on the seafront means you will hear birds but you don't need them hammering on your window at 4:30am.
If the hotel would apply this simple preventive measure it would rid this issue.

Staff were welcoming and friendly.
Rooms were clean but had a slight funky smell. Carpets could do with a clean.
Breakfast was ok.
Good hotel but not really worth the £200+ price tag. You are paying for the location more than the actual room.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor , and also for your suggestion with regard to the seagulls. We shall certainly give this some consideration.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your overall visit and found our staff to have been friendly. We hope to see you back again in the future.
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have stayed here many, many times. The rooms are predictably samey. The building is old and this gives the wonderful feeling which comes with the high ceilings in the rooms. The front desk staff are INCREDIBLY wonderful and helpful and welcoming. They give you all the information you need and it really is a very comprehensive hotel. The bar staff were wonderful and we took advantage of the happy hour of 2 for £7 cocktails, two nights. We had a look at the gym and pool downstairs and with the best intentions was going to go down, but life and outside fun and great weather got in the way. It is a good gym and have had a swim in the pool in the past, just beautiful. I keep coming back. But I also look at the room prices and shop around because sometimes it can be pricey. If it fits in with our criteria, the Queens Hotel will always be my first choice of a hotel in Brighton.

Room Tip: Whichever room you stay in, it is such a busy location with lots of clubs and bars in the vicinity...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather B
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to see that as a regular visitor to Brighton , you find that our hotel meets with your criteria each visit.
Our front desk staff indeed are a great team , and I shall pass on your comments to them.
Thank you for your continued and ongoing custom.