“An unfortunately flawed experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Harlow, United Kingdom
“An unfortunately flawed experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Queens hotel is in a great location and on first sight is generally impressive. The staff were friendly, the lobby clean and the bar was staffed with bar people who seemed to actually care about the customer experience which is a very welcome change!

We had picked this hotel as it is close to lots of attractions and my wife being 8 months pregnant is not able to walk around as much as normal. This aspect of the hotel was great but sadly other issues really let it down.

Firstly, the room was tiny. We paid for a double room but this room (415) could barely fit us both in and was rather uncomfortable. The tiny window looked out onto the back of a car park or something which again was a bit of a disappointment. The room was clean but rather worn out and there was also a rather odd smell which lingered by the door. The noise at night was also unbearable. Of course, I don't blame the hotel but it really does need to be said that there were people literally screaming outside for several hours from about 1AM to 4 AM. I am a heavy sleeper but it woke me and kept me awake. My wife hardly slept at all. I was also rather worried that the electrics tripped and all the lights went out for some unexplained reason!

Secondly, although wifi was advertised and promised, there was no reception whatsoever on my phone, android or ipad. I did report this at reception but was told that all they could do was to restart the router. They did this but it had no effect and no further attempt was made to remedy the situation. Again, not a massive deal but very frustrating.

Thirdly, the pool was nice and clean and spacious but we had a very upsetting experience there the only time we used it. My wife came out first and got in the pool (as I mentioned, she is 8 months pregnant). When I joined her, she was visibly upset due to the three men who were also using the pool making very loud inappropriate comments about her body to each other. They made very offensive remarks about her size and also her breasts. I was disgusted at this and looked over at them but they made some threatening remarks at us and so we left. It was not something we reported at the time as we did not want to get involved in a load of unpleasant antagonism but it certainly ruined our day. Not really the hotel's fault of course but if these are the sort of people who frequent the place I would definitely steer clear of visiting again.

Finally, the toilets off the main lobby were absolutely filthy. They are old and dirty anyway but on the occasion I used them at least two of the cubicles were very soiled and uncleaned. One of the locks on the other cubicle door was broken and the whole environment felt much more like a rather unpleasant public toilet rather than one in a quality hotel.

As I mentioned however, there were plenty of good points - the breakfast was nice for example. In addition, when the electrics tripped and I phoned down to reception, they dealt with it very promptly. They also acted very quickly when I requested an iron and board for the room. Ultimately however, the experience was just too flawed for me to recommend.

2 Thank Matt C
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my apologies for any disappointment both you and your wife experienced during your visit. Although we make every effort to ensure that all of our guests enjoy all aspects of their visit with us , there are rare occasions when matters beyond our control occur.
As guest satisfaction is always paramount at our hotel , we will always do everything we can to address issues brought to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hastings, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for the first time last night and was a special occasion.I found it to be more like a B&B.It looked nicer in the photos! VERY over priced for the sea view room and breakfast.There was no Sea view like in the photos I had to stand up and look out to see anything.Shower was a joke no water pressure at all just trickled out rusty sink plug hole.Bath had marks inside bit off putting.Full English breakfast okay bacon dry but nothing special probably sat there for a while.There is also not enough signs around the hotel so you know where you are going.I wouldn't say i would stay here again unless i was paying 100 or less.

Room Tip: My tip would be choose a date so you get the cheapest price possible in the range of 100 as this is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to read that you did not find your visit to have been a value for money experience.
Certainly , should you be visiting again and for whatever reason be dissatisfied with your room , please feel free to contact our reception team who will try to resolve any issues.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Hitchin, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic for all the restaurants, shops & Brighton pier. The sea view from the tower rooms is just great. The hotel itself is old and despite renovations, looks tired outside and in. The staff seem to have a culture of not caring about customer service and doing things to the minimum standard. There is a real lack of professionalism with the exception of one or two staff. The breakfast was just awful: undercooked sausages & bacon and eggs that were like plastic and coffee slapped down on the table in a mug like we were in a transport café. My advice would be to spend the extra and stay at The Grand if you can. Customer service there is excellent. If that's a bit pricey, then stay somewhere cheap as the staff and the breakfast could not be much worse than at Queens Hotel which is just too expensive for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet with your expectations.
We have an incredibly dedicated team here at the hotel , as is so often mentioned in our reviews that we recieve , but if for whatever reason you felt that customer service is not what it might have be, we would always welcome the matter being raised at the time, as this allows us an opportunity to rectify any matters for you during your visit.
I am delighted to see that you found our central location to have been so much to your liking.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent a few days here with my sister and niece just before Easter. We had a fantastic room with a double bed and a triple bed. We had a lovely sea view although it was a little noisy at night but we expected that and the view more than made up for it. The staff were great and very helpful. The breakfast choice was huge, plentiful and delicious. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SteveB272
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am so delighted to see that everything at the hotel was so much to your liking during your visit , and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here, wonderful location, great room, staff are ok.
I say this as when we stayed, the room next door to us was smoking, to cut a very long story short, it took 3 phone calls to reception and me going down to tell them about it to get it sorted. They then got our room numbers mixed up and accused me and my partner...when they came into our room they realised it wasnt us.
Anywho, we spoke to the manager and they gave us a discount for another stay. We stayed there again and it was ok. But breakfast is not up to scratch.
I wouldnt stay again because the price is far to high for what you get.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that the hotel did not meet with your expectations , and we shall certainly take your comments on board.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Booked this hotel as a secret hotel with last minute.com which came with a free upgrade to an executive room. The location is really good being virtually opposite the pier with the Lanes out the back. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful our room was out the front with a view of the pier. The room was very spacious with one queen size bed and one king size we slept in the queen size which was really comfortable. The leather settee was great to sit on and watch the busy sea front Out of the ceiling to floor windows. The bathroom was very smart. Even though the sea front road was very busy the room was very quiet. Breakfast was a buffet style with a good selection. This was our first visit to Brighton and the queens was a good choice. Looking forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that everything was to your liking during your recent visit , and that you enjoyed the wonderful views from your room.
We look forward to hopefully seeing you back again in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Great location by the beach and pier, with helpful staff on reception and in the breakfast room. Our room was both larger and nicer than we had expected, and generally the decor throughout the hotel was good. We were out-of-season so noise from the streets outside wasn't an issue, although I imagine it would be at some times of the year (partly due to the original single-glazed windows).

Negative points: the only real option for parking is one of the public car parks in the town, which aren't cheap. Breakfast was plentiful but the quality of the ingredients was quite poor. Bathroom was surprisingly cold in February, not that this really bothered us as the bedroom was warm.

Positive points: good decor, large room, helpful staff, great location.

Room Tip: Higher floors to reduce noise from streets outside, plus naturally go for a sea view if possible!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian M
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that overall , you enjoyed your visit with us , and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.