“Breathtaking Views - shame about breakfast”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Cleethorpes
“Breathtaking Views - shame about breakfast”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed her for three nights this week - we paid for a sea view - our room was magnificent - it was airy bright, clean and the view was amazing -Staff were all very good but the breakfast was poor - the tea was warm and stewed on two days, one day the orange was like drinking flavoured water and in general the cooked breakfast was luke warm - The breakfast left our experience lacking -If I was the management I would do a full review of the breakfast experience

Room Tip: Complain about the breakfast if you are not happy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that there were aspects of the breakfast which did not meet with your expectations. Please accept my apologies for this. On the other hand , it is really great to see that you enjoyed the rest of your visit , and of course the wonderful views from your seaview room.
We hope to see you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stratford on Avon
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel because we were taking our daughter to sussex uni open day, we've never been to Brighton so got there the day before for a good look around. The hotel exterior looked dated shabby and run down but we were pleasantly surprised when we entered, it was clean and spacious, the staff at reception were efficient and friendly, our room was massive light and airy, we had booked a sea view and we had a king size and a double in there as it was cheaper than two rooms, first impressions were ok, on closer inspection the ceiling light fitting was broken, the bathroom incredibly dark, you couldn't have put your makeup on in there and the sink waste rusty, it all seemed a bit tired really. After an explore up the pier and round the lanes and shopping area we came back to the hotel for our evening meal, fish chips and mushy peas, burger and chips, chicken burger and chips, unfortunately it wasn't freshly cooked and my fish was something I could have pulled out of the freezer myself, this was disappointing. I couldn't believe the nights sleep we didn't have, every time my husband or I moved the other felt like we were on a trampoline, the other thing was not the hotels fault but all night long until 6am we heard sirens, cars racing along the road, trucks, drunks, women screaming, shouting, in fact at 5am I looked out of the window and counted 47 people all milling around creating a nuisance of themselves!! By 7am it was quiet with the usual runners and dog walkers. Breakfast I have to say was very nice indeed, bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, fried bread, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, black pudding, fruit, toast, croissants, cereal, just what we needed for a full day of wandering round a uni. Visit Brighton but if you value your nights sleep stay out of town!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that although you enjoy several aspects of your visit , equally there were one or two aspects of your visit that you did not , and please accept my apologies for this.
Due to our hotels central location , it can be quite busy at times in the surrounding areas , and although we do what we can to limit the impact on our guests , there are times when these situations occur.
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this as it happens. It's after midnight. I'm on the first floor. And there's this loud cabaret show I can hear clearly going on below me. I suppose I thought I was booked into a hotel. Evidently, it doubles as a vaudeville venue.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my apologies for any disruption experienced to your stay last weekend.
We hosted a cabaret night and charity raffle as part of the 70th anniversary of D-Day celebrations last Friday , and although the night finished shortly after midnight , I can appreciate that this might have affected your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Queens hotel is in a great location and on first sight is generally impressive. The staff were friendly, the lobby clean and the bar was staffed with bar people who seemed to actually care about the customer experience which is a very welcome change!

We had picked this hotel as it is close to lots of attractions and my wife being 8 months pregnant is not able to walk around as much as normal. This aspect of the hotel was great but sadly other issues really let it down.

Firstly, the room was tiny. We paid for a double room but this room (415) could barely fit us both in and was rather uncomfortable. The tiny window looked out onto the back of a car park or something which again was a bit of a disappointment. The room was clean but rather worn out and there was also a rather odd smell which lingered by the door. The noise at night was also unbearable. Of course, I don't blame the hotel but it really does need to be said that there were people literally screaming outside for several hours from about 1AM to 4 AM. I am a heavy sleeper but it woke me and kept me awake. My wife hardly slept at all. I was also rather worried that the electrics tripped and all the lights went out for some unexplained reason!

Secondly, although wifi was advertised and promised, there was no reception whatsoever on my phone, android or ipad. I did report this at reception but was told that all they could do was to restart the router. They did this but it had no effect and no further attempt was made to remedy the situation. Again, not a massive deal but very frustrating.

Thirdly, the pool was nice and clean and spacious but we had a very upsetting experience there the only time we used it. My wife came out first and got in the pool (as I mentioned, she is 8 months pregnant). When I joined her, she was visibly upset due to the three men who were also using the pool making very loud inappropriate comments about her body to each other. They made very offensive remarks about her size and also her breasts. I was disgusted at this and looked over at them but they made some threatening remarks at us and so we left. It was not something we reported at the time as we did not want to get involved in a load of unpleasant antagonism but it certainly ruined our day. Not really the hotel's fault of course but if these are the sort of people who frequent the place I would definitely steer clear of visiting again.

Finally, the toilets off the main lobby were absolutely filthy. They are old and dirty anyway but on the occasion I used them at least two of the cubicles were very soiled and uncleaned. One of the locks on the other cubicle door was broken and the whole environment felt much more like a rather unpleasant public toilet rather than one in a quality hotel.

As I mentioned however, there were plenty of good points - the breakfast was nice for example. In addition, when the electrics tripped and I phoned down to reception, they dealt with it very promptly. They also acted very quickly when I requested an iron and board for the room. Ultimately however, the experience was just too flawed for me to recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt C
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my apologies for any disappointment both you and your wife experienced during your visit. Although we make every effort to ensure that all of our guests enjoy all aspects of their visit with us , there are rare occasions when matters beyond our control occur.
As guest satisfaction is always paramount at our hotel , we will always do everything we can to address issues brought to our attention.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for the first time last night and was a special occasion.I found it to be more like a B&B.It looked nicer in the photos! VERY over priced for the sea view room and breakfast.There was no Sea view like in the photos I had to stand up and look out to see anything.Shower was a joke no water pressure at all just trickled out rusty sink plug hole.Bath had marks inside bit off putting.Full English breakfast okay bacon dry but nothing special probably sat there for a while.There is also not enough signs around the hotel so you know where you are going.I wouldn't say i would stay here again unless i was paying 100 or less.

Room Tip: My tip would be choose a date so you get the cheapest price possible in the range of 100 as this is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to read that you did not find your visit to have been a value for money experience.
Certainly , should you be visiting again and for whatever reason be dissatisfied with your room , please feel free to contact our reception team who will try to resolve any issues.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic for all the restaurants, shops & Brighton pier. The sea view from the tower rooms is just great. The hotel itself is old and despite renovations, looks tired outside and in. The staff seem to have a culture of not caring about customer service and doing things to the minimum standard. There is a real lack of professionalism with the exception of one or two staff. The breakfast was just awful: undercooked sausages & bacon and eggs that were like plastic and coffee slapped down on the table in a mug like we were in a transport café. My advice would be to spend the extra and stay at The Grand if you can. Customer service there is excellent. If that's a bit pricey, then stay somewhere cheap as the staff and the breakfast could not be much worse than at Queens Hotel which is just too expensive for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet with your expectations.
We have an incredibly dedicated team here at the hotel , as is so often mentioned in our reviews that we recieve , but if for whatever reason you felt that customer service is not what it might have be, we would always welcome the matter being raised at the time, as this allows us an opportunity to rectify any matters for you during your visit.
I am delighted to see that you found our central location to have been so much to your liking.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent a few days here with my sister and niece just before Easter. We had a fantastic room with a double bed and a triple bed. We had a lovely sea view although it was a little noisy at night but we expected that and the view more than made up for it. The staff were great and very helpful. The breakfast choice was huge, plentiful and delicious. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SteveB272
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am so delighted to see that everything at the hotel was so much to your liking during your visit , and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.