“£225 per night for what was a £90 a night quality room & hotel”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“£225 per night for what was a £90 a night quality room & hotel”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great location in terms of access to Lanes, Pier & beach but 1st floor sea view room positioned above busy bar (which carried on until all the hen & stag parties had consumed enough shots) and opposite busy crossing (good for people watching I'll admit).

This hotel is looking very tired, scuffed and was not the cleanest. Lift floors dirty, paintwork and decour similar to that of a poor 3 star. Bath had a few suspect looking (short) hairs in it and plastic cups in bathroom very low budget. Furniture in room was chipped and although lots of wardrobe space, these were nasty plain MDF doors that didn't close well.

All this very bearable for 1 night but in no way was the price paid a reflection of the quality of the surroundings, which leaves a bit of a bad taste.

The redeeming feature of The Queens is that the staff were friendly, smiling and looked like they wanted to be there. Unfortunately, not enough to make me want to go back, not even for £90 a night!

Room Tip: Don't have a 1st floor room with a sea view is my advice but then I'm not sure how you can c...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry to see that our hotel did not meet with your expectations , and please accept my apologies for any shortcomings on our part.
I am extremely happy however to see that you found our staff to have been friendly throughout your visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My mother and I stayed here for a night on a Friday night in Brighton for about £110. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and I would rate the hotel as very good.

In terms of location, it is excellent, being sited right next to the pier and beach. If you are arriving into Brighton by coach (eg National Express), the coach bay is right at the street behind the hotel. The Hotel is also about a 15-20 min stroll to the shopping area where Primark, and other brands are located. It is also near the bus-stop where we took a bus out to visit the White Cliffs. Restaurants are also available around.

In terms of service, it was good. The gentleman at the front desk was very patient and friendly. He was able to guide me where to go around the hotel as well as provide me detailed directions on how to get to the white cliffs.

In terms of the room, I had a double room where there was a small chandelier with rather high ceilings. I was on the 1st floor facing the back so there wasn’t much of a view but it was ok. There was a TV, hairdryer, hot water kettle, and wifi works well throughout the hotel.

We stayed a night on a Friday night, at times we could hear night revellers on the streets but they weren’t too rowdy.

There is also a heated swimming pool and gym located at the hotel. My mother and I used the swimming pool which was nice. The swimming pool is not large but you could still get a few small laps done. I understand that non-guests can also avail themselves to the swimming pool by paying a small free (£5 per pax if I am not wrong).

We had the breakfast at the hotel which had a simple spread of hot food eg scrambled eggs, sausages, baked beans (if I don’t remember wrongly). There was also a selection of fruits, cereal, pastries and bread available.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable stay for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable visit , and it sounds like you got to see quite a bit of the sights too!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, I was expecting a small room with dated decor, judging from the exterior of the building, but the room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was well equipped and clean, the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was included with our room and was better than I was anticipating, however the coffee was fairly awful. My only real complaints are the size of the lifts (inadequate for a hotel of this size) and the lack of a fridge in the room. I'd certainly stay here again if the chance arises as the location was close to all the interesting things to see in Brighton.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your visit. although we do not have fridges in our bedrooms , please do not hesitate to let us know if during your next visit you would like some items refrigerated and we will arrange storage in one of our kitchen fridges.
somerset
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were welcomed by a helpful and friendly receptionist and our room exceeded expectations. We could even see the sea from the side and no noise. Spa was fine, would have liked a steam room though. The staff at breakfast did a great job, in a very busy short period. The location is great, easy walk to the pier, restaurants and shops.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable visit , and hope to see you back again in the future.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location for the pier and town centre. We upgraded to a sea view room which was nice and spacious. Bathroom average, could do with a face lift. Bed was bad, very hard so if you like a soft mattress this wouldn't be for you. Breakfast was what you'd expect for a 3 star hotel. Overall would recommend for a no frills stay in Brighton on a budget.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to see that your overall experience was an enjoyable one , and that you might consider recommending us in the future.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here on 15/06/14 after completing the London to Brighton Bike ride. Staff were extremely helpful on arrival and allowed us to store our bikes and hear in the conference room securely, rather than outside. Had a great room on the first floorr, ocean side, great views. Perfect location and great value when looking at alternatives which are either not as well positioned or not as nice. Nice bar downstairs, breakfast was excellent. Cant find anything bad to say, I will never be staying anywhere else in Brighton other than here in the future.

1 Thank Johnsie66
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor , and congratulations on completing the London to Brighton cycle last Sunday.
Im delighted to see that everything during your visit was to your liking , and we look forward very much to seeing you again in the future!
Brighton
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I wouldn't normally stay in a hotel like this (plus I only live 10 miles away) but I was meeting up with a friend for a night out and we decided to stay over The twin room only cost £99 including breakfast, it seemed too good to pass by. We had what must be one of the closest rooms to the sea that you can get in Brighton. A huge bay window overlooking the seafront and Pier. Brilliant!
The room was clean, comfortable and an OK size. A bit short on homely comforts but all that we really needed to be honest.
We didn't get round to using the pool area but we did have treatments in the beauty therapy rooms. Really very good and not over priced.
We started off our evening in the bar with 2 for £10 cocktails and a snack. The bar was lacking a bit in atmosphere but we sat at the window and watched the world go by.We later discovered that Brighton was very quiet for a Thursday night, all the pubs were empty.
One point worth mentioning. A seaview room is great BUT very noisy during the early hours when all the clubs empty out.
Breakfast was very chaotic in the morning. We had to wait 10 mins for a table. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of everything to suit most peoples requirements. All in all an absolute bargain for under £100 for 2 people.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am so delighted to see how much you enjoyed your room , the views , and that you found it to have been so much value for money.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.