“Great stay”

Kipps Backpackers Hostel
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed here for one night with my teenage son in a private, twin room. Was really pleased with the stay. Staff are super friendly here, which in itself goes a long way to making the stay excellent.
Location is premium, right over the road from the Pavillion and city centre.
Really clean (apart from a minging net curtain). Nice room with its own sink (shared bathroom though).
If you want to be in the city centre, I recommend it. A great place to stay in Brighton.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I only spent a couple of nights in Kipps but it was a really relaxed spot to explore Brighton from. Perfectly located a short walk from the train station and right next to the Pavilion and the Pier. The staff and regulars were really friendly, and although I didn't spend too much time there (choosing to be out and about instead) it seemed like a nice place to hang out and take it easy and get to know other people as there were a lot of young travellers passing through.
Most importantly, the beds were really comfy and I would definitely recommend it if you're new to the town and want to have a great location, and maybe make some friends along the way.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
farnborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

the hostel was very clean, it had everything we needed, staff were very friendly and helpful, very good location. excellent value for money, really have no complaints. Would definitely recommend and would stay there again next time im in Brighton.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
woking
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

Clean and comfortable. Well run. I think its primarily aimed at travelling students but we were in our 40s and 50s and it was fine. Excellent for larger groups. Good location. Excellent budget alternative to hotels.

• Stayed June 2012
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

Kipps is like a hotel rather then a hostel. Was very clean but they had stupid rules which outweighed the good.

We stayed there for a few weeks and in that time we could not sleep in even after a big night out. We wanted to save money while we were there but it was impossible as we were not allowed in the kitchen to make breakfast or lunch. What kind of hostel is that! The tv room is closed at 1am so if you want to sit somewhere to read or chill out (and don't want to disturb others in your room) you have no where to sit.

I felt like I was at school camp with times I had to go to bed, times I had to wake, and what times I could eat.

They also have a breakfast which you have to pay for and we did that cause we had no other choice as we weren't allowed to make our own.

We left the hostel to stay somewhere else because of the reasons above. I know they have the kitchen closed from 10pm to 2pm and the bedrooms.from 11am to 2pm for cleaning but its a bit excessive! We weren't even allowed to get a beer from the fridge after 10 pm even thou there was a receptionist sitting right next to the kitchen. This is because they have beers for sale and want you to pay them. Not good.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Katrinabryan
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I arranged to spend a night at the Kipps Hostel on 15th March which was booked on the 14th March. I phoned to cancel on 15th March and was told it was not a problem and that I would not be charged. Subsequently, I was charged for the room without my consent. Had I been informed that I was going to be charged I would have honoured the booking. I made repeated phonecalls to the Hostel to ask to speak to the manager. Conveniently, the manager was always absent. I doubt whether my messages were passed on. I would not recommend staying at this hostel as the staff are not to be trusted and do not take complaints seriously. It is among the worst experiences of customer service I have ever had.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Witham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Most backpackers will agree, We tend to make early starts to a day. therefore it is totally unexceptable to LOCK THE KITCHEN from 10pm til 8.30am. We were unable to store our milk or packed meals in the fridge for the following day because of this which was a great inconenience and not what you expect from a hostel, and not what we had paid for. So beware, fellow backpackers, unless you want to start your day past 9 o clock in the morning dont book to stay here. Also for any late comers you will have the same problem past 10pm! no crockery, kettle or access to your food and drinks.
THIS IS NOT A HOSTEL as any regular user will realise but a low key HOTEL unless you know these things you will be inconvenienced and disappointed

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple