“Everything a hostel should be....”

Kipps Backpackers Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Everything a hostel should be....”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just leaving today after excellent 4 nights .i agree with all the positive comments already said , well set up, well run by such hardworking and pleasant guys and girls ..breakfast great at £2 50 p..( I would have liked it a bit earlier than 8 15 but everyone else still asleep so I guess it's just me!)....evening snack a tasty bonus...very clean and comfortable throughout ....fair priced bar ...even a guitar for me to play with...thanks , see you again soon ....Richard

Room Tip: All ok...large dorm with plenty of room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard B
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
Hi Richard

Thank you for your nice comments and rating.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we enjoyed your guitar playing:)

Kipps Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

What can I say, this is the best Hostel in Brighton, after returning again it gets better and better. It has great staff in helping and providing good service. It has various amenities that you need and the Facebook page is great in connecting with friends. Can't wait to return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kiwiboysi
Hi

We appreciate your nice comments and rating.
We are pleased to hear when guests enjoy their stay at Kipps Hostels

See you again soon hopefully

Regards
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful hostel. Stayed in a 10 bed dorm with 2 friends. Very cheap and included breakfast. Sparkling clean, comfy beds, free wifi, friendly staff. Every night they offer free nibbles to the guests, we had delicious bruschetta one night and yummy desert kebabs the next. Will not stay anywhere else in Brighton ever again but here. Was an amazing experience. Well done Kipps, 5 stars from me.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnzelvanZyl
kippscanterbury, Owner at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
hi
We are glad you enjoyed staying with us at Kipps, and that you enjoyed the nightly events we offer free to all guests

We look forward to welcoming you back to Brighton

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have stayed at Kipps for quite a while now and would definitely recommend it. If you're not only looking for a place to sleep but one where you are received cordially by the incredibly friendly and welcoming staff that are always there to help and make you feel comfortable at all times, Kipps is the place to go! I also love it's convenient central location as you're able to reach Brighton Pier, the Royal Pavillion (just on the other side of the road), the Lanes and lots of other attractions in Brighton within minutes. Apart from the fact that it's utterly clean, the staff will try their best to make your stay as pleasant as they can. I also wouldn't want to miss the free events every evening (Pasta, Bruschetta, Pancakes, ... How cool is that?) as they are a great opportunity to get in touch with other guests.
I have stayed in lots of hostels in the past years and have to say that I didn't feel that comfortable in any of them. Kipps is by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in. A big thanks to the wesome staff members for making my stay in Brighton to an experience I will never forget!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Was a terrible and uncomfortable stay due to leakage and shifting of room, and rude behaviour of day staff (a lady), never bothered to appologised even. I checked in at midnight, reception staff was friendly, awesome & welcoming, guided me to room (private, double bed and en-suite). Just in five minute, there was leakage, on the ceiling, I complained to receptionist, he transferred me to another room but that was twin bed with shared toilet. However, assured me to changing to double bed by morning and refund of difference. He apologized so many time, and was so good in customer service, that i almost wanted to change the hostel, but because of his attitude, I decided to stay on. Twin bed was so small that i fell twice from the bed. Next morning, on breakfast, I asked receptionists, (lady) who was so rude, and just told me, that I will be shifted back to same room (#1) as it will be repaired. Never had courtesy to say Sorry. When I asked about the refund, she so sarcastically laughed and said, that aah difference is just couple of pound not much (what a pathetic reply).
So I went away, and came back at 1900 hours, this time on reception, there was a girl, she handed me keys and told me every thing has been sorted and refunded me £5. She was really friendly, and wished that there be no problem.
However, again at 0300 hours, leakage started straight to my bed, I was so tired to get down to complaint, and moreover, hostel was fully booked. I placed the bin under the leakage, and slept on the floor. However, was so uncomfortable due to the noise of drops of leakage.
At 0800 hours, came down, and revealed to receptionist, again same lady. She rudely said that, we checked every thing and there was nothing. I told her, just go to room and look yourself. She never bothered to move away from her chair, or checked the room. She never apologized for inconvenience. After breakfast, I told her, that am going out as room not fine, so spend time as my train was after 3 hours. So after leaving luggage in storage, I left and killed the time in the city.
Came back at 1200 hours, took my luggage, from same lady, again she had same flat face with no apology, and never said bye even....
I left the hostel and will never ever return to the hostel again.
It was so overbooked and crowded that you might have to wait for a table to get free to consume your breakfast. Toilets are too less that in lobby there was queue of 6 people, when I thought to use it. Some time lobby get so crowded leaving no space that incoming guests are requested to leave luggage and come back after some time.
I took the picture of the leakage which was coming from toilet/bathroom located on upper floor, this was explained to me by that rude lady, so violation of health and safety rules, is it?

Room Tip: Always avoid Private Room En suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KippsBrighton, Owner at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hi
I will post the same reply I wrote to your comments you left on our Facebook Page. and now the same comments/ ratings you have put up on Trip Advisor.

At the moment you haven't replied to my comments, or taken up my offer of a complimentary stay to show you that it was just an unfortunate maintenance issue, out of our control and something that we could not foresee and that we are indeed a really good hostel (See other ratings/comments on Trip Advisor Page) . .

I would also like to state again, that we were sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, but in my opinion and other previous guests ratings/comments we are definitely not a terrible hostel

*******************************************
We are very sorry that you that you didn’t have a great stay with us at Kipps Brighton
As you can see from previous guest comments, the majority really enjoy their stay with us and return year on year.
At Kipps Hostels we pride ourselves on our customer service/ hospitality/facilities and customer satisfaction. So we do get genuinely upset when some customers do not feel they received this whilst staying with us. I will pass your comments on to all staff concerned to ensure that future guests do not leave thinking that we are a bad hostel, when we really are not!
Unfortunately maintenance issues can occur at the strangest hours, as in your case. We did call in a plumber after your initial complaint at the first instance , who assured us that everything was fine and we could reopen the room, if this was not the case we would of moved you to other accommodation in Brighton until the problem was resolved as we were fully booked that night. Unfortunately the Plumber was wrong, and the leak occurred again the following night. We did call our maintenance guy from Canterbury the following day, who drove down and found the problem immediately - which was causing the leak into the room. The problem was then quickly resolved and the guests in that same room the weekend, had a nice stay with no issues !
Regarding your other comments - on the Friday, we had many people checking out, and many people checked in early that day, again it was just one of those instances that the hostel seemed much busier than usual and therefore common areas seemed crowded, but this was due to the amount of guests checking out, at exactly the same time the new guests were arriving early to drop baggage off. Something that happens not so often, and you just unfortunately arrived back at the hostel during this period to collect your baggage. For a City Centre Hostel we have many communal areas, including the lounge, bar area, sun room and Outside Patio. We also have plans to open up a new/extra communal room soon (early July this year), as well as completely redesigning our common area bathroom areas, to create more showers and wcs. This will all be completed by the end of this year
We would again like to say sorry, that we did not meet your expectations and you left feeling unhappy with your stay. We would like to offer you a complimentary overnight stay - if you stay in Brighton at another time in the future, to show you that we are a great hostel to stay when visiting Brighton. If you would like to take up this opportunity, you can contact me via our Facebook Page. /Email

Again apologises
Regards
Lee
Thornbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have made several stays here over the last year, and have never been disappointed with the lovely friendly staff, comfortable clean accommodation and good value for money. There always seems to be a friendly, safe sort of atmosphere - highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Sue B
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us again
We look forward to seeing you again and again :)

Kipps Staff
Western Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently spent two nights in a private room. As a middle aged couple we were a little worried Kipps may have been to young for us but we were pleasantly surprised at what a great place it was. We were greated at reception by a very happy and friendly face and quickly given all the information about the place we needed. There was a communal kitchen, a lounge area with TV, movies and free internet throughout. The reception area also sold drinks at really cheap prices. Our room was clean and comfortable, we had our own shower in the corner of our room and tea and coffee were supplied. There were two toilets on our level which were share toilets. The location was perfect, a short walk to the pier and into the shopping district. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street for less noise at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple