“Nice restaurant....bland food...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Elizabethan Cottage Tandoori
Ranked #378 of 1,099 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lancaster
“Nice restaurant....bland food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

A friend and I tried Elizabethan Cottage yesterday evening after I read some mixed reviews.....I have to say I was hoping for the best. The welcome was somewhat lukewarm, although the waiting staff were moderately friendly. The restaurant is nicely decorated, welcoming, and it was busy there yesterday.
We had poppadoms and pickles to begin. The pickle servings were a little meagre (we are used to bigger servings up north....) and I had to ask for more onion. Nice cold Kingfisher and Cobra beers.

My friend ordered a lamb pathia (the menu described it as spicy and it looked like it might be quite tasty) and I had their special biryani. We were very disappointed with the pathia - it was sugary-sweet and lacked any spice. The biryani was nicely presented, but again seemed to lack any excitement.

On the whole we were a little disappointed. We might return, but will be hoping for more exciting and tasty dishes next time. And please be a little more generous with the pickles - the poppadoms are the fun part of the meal after all....

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Takeaway from the Village”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We went here for a take away when we got caught in the snow earlier this year. The food had flavour and was very warming, however it did take a considerable amount of time to be ready whilst we waited in the bar area. They were quite busy, i pressume beacuse of the snow people were trapped! We may have been better eating in the restaurant instead.

• Visited February 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Shame about the wine!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Dined here last week, as being local it is easy to get to and park. I would have given a higher rating if it were not for the very poor wine selection by the glass, which was a single poor brand. The meal itself was fine, but even though the restaurant was not busy, it still felt very cramped. Pricewise, I did not feel that we got value for money and was quite surprised at the size of bill for two at £55 with only a main selection and couple of sides. Will think twice about a repeat visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sussex
“Rofra”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been using this restaurant for a number of years,but since moving away from the area i have not been for a couple of years.We returned last week and were made very welcome,and the food still excellent.

• Visited September 2013
London
“Excellent Tandoori near Brighton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have been using this tandoori, known as The Elizabethan by locals since it opened, about 17 years ago or more. The owners are still the same, staff excellent. The owners are always around. NEVER had a bad meal, good food whether you eat in or out.

This would have to be the best Tandoori South of London. It won a lot of awards a few years ago, should win more in my opinion.

Not easy to find if you don't know it's there. It's near The Black Lion Harvester on the Old London Road, Patcham on the way into Brighton.

When I want to cheer my son up, I just bring a Elizabethan back for him. I live in London now, but thankfully have family in Brighton.

If I was to give a negative, they do not have high chairs, or booster seats. Knowing this, I take my own.

A MUST VISIT.