“fun half hour”

Mechanical Memories Museum
Ranked #56 of 175 things to do in Brighton
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Time Penny Arcade - a working museum of vintage coin-operated amusement machines.
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We always pop in here on our way to the pier or beach. Good old fashioned fun and friendly owner. The machines are old and do sometimes break on you or swallow your money, but let the owner know and he cheerily sorts it out for you.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"collection"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 3 January 2012

The museum's one of my favourite places to go on the seafront and I try and go there to play on the machines at least once a year.

It's free to look around and if you want to have a go on the machines you just pay a pound or so for some old pennies to work them.

Although small, the museum has a good range, from turn-of-the-century 'peepshows' to creepy fortune telling booth, a la 'Big'.

Definitely very different from the arcades on the pier and in my opinion a lot more fun!

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Good old-fashioned fun. My son loved it...and he's 16...!!

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We visited here with our kids aged 10 and 13 and they loved it, they preferred this to the modern 2p shove games on the pier. Yes its quite small but there are some lovely old machines. At first glance they look boring but once the kids got going they thoroughly enjoyed themselves and they only spent a couple of pounds over about an hour and a half, you cant beat that! My kids also enjoyed not just the playing but the privilege of seeing and being able to play games that were old and so different to what they have now so the history of these machines wasnt wasted on them and I think some reviews have missed this point.We would definately go back again if in the area.By the way its located down amongst the shops actually on the beach to the right as you look out at the pier.

1  Thank helen h