“Wouldn't go back. Ever.”

and 1 more site!
Prince Regent Hotel
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a place in Brighton to take my wife away for the weekend for her birthday. We have two dogs and wanted to take them with us.
We googled 'dog friendly' accommodation in the area and not many came up being available as it was a bank holiday weekend.

We phoned this 'hotel' and the very friendly man on the phone quoted us £220 for two nights . Dogs welcome. Stating we had a "superior double" room.

On our arrival we were greeted by the owner/manager same man we spoke to on the phone who was friendly and welcoming. This was when the positives of this stay ended. At the front door.

The decor of the 'hotel' is old fashioned and would only appeal to a very select taste. We thought it vulgar and ugly.

Once taken to our room , we were horrified. Firstly at how tiny the room was for two people, two dogs and luggage with Zero storage. You could barely walk around the bed without touching the dirty walls. The room decor was old, tatty and quite vile.
Holes and Staines in the carpets, dirt and grime throughout this small bedroom . Cracks in the paintwork and generally grubby.

Onto the 'bathroom' . Three words.
Dirty. Shabby. Terrible.

There was a sign on the shower glass door on a tatty piece of paper, handwritten 'please run the hot water tap before turning on the shower'
when we did this it made a loud cranking noise! We were scared the water tank was going to burst !!

We would have moved hotels there and then if we didn't have dogs with us but we were kind of stuck there.

I would never ever stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The only positive was the friendly man that greeted us.

Worst £220 I've ever spent! I wish now I'd taken photos as you have to see this place to believe just how bad it is.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Thepitt999
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

If you check our page on booking.com - you will be able to see our Hotel policies, which clearly state that pets are not allowed in the Hotel. Possibly, the hotel you have stayed in was a next door hotel - Regency Hotel, who allow pets. This makes your review completely wrong. Please double check the name on the hotel you stayed in.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

As a traveling musician I booked this hotel because of the reasonable price. I wasn't sure what I would find, but I didn't expect a Regency treasure, which this grand, beautiful place is, from the age of the building (built in 1820) to the lovingly preserved period details. The decor in the lobby and most of the rooms is faithful to the age of the Regency, with beautiful tapestry, statuary and frescos kept in pristine condition. It was like stepping back through time into an early 19th-century mansion but with all the modern amenities, and it was close to the centre of town. The landlady could not have been more gracious and kind, and made it clear that if I had any questions or requests, she would do her best to meet them. Most of the rooms are consistent with Regency decorating; my own room was a charming, immaculate retro-1960's blue room that faced Regency Square and the sea and had all I needed. If you're a student of history and literature, or simply love romantic novels and films, this is the place for you! I've stayed in many hotels but this was the finest. Brighton was made even more special on my trip because of staying in such a gem, and when I return--and I will!..I'll be bringing the whole family with me!

Room Tip: The landlady gave me a tour of the hotel and though most have Regency decor, there are some that are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sally S

Thank you so much for your review!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We will be happy to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Although this was a last minute booking and a parking space was provided for a "cheaper" cost - the hotel is tired, dusty, unsafe carpets and beyond being a pleasure.

Although the "manageress" was polite and we did not find her as described in some of the other reviews, this did not improve the tardy state of repair, the out of date decor and bedding, the "shower" - which should be referred to as a "dribbler" really - and the general poor accommodation on offer. Shame as the location is central to the main thoroughfare and the Regent Square is lovely spot. The building itself has so much more to offer.

Great potential but I wish I had taken heed of the other reviews - before booking! Believe most of what is said about the state of the rooms - and don't trip and break a leg or neck on the insecure carpets that are present on the stairs!!

Room Tip: Consider elsewhere unless you want really basic, have no intention of spending any time in the room...
Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments.

The NCP car park in front of the hotel costs £25.20 per 24h (see NCP website http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/brighton-centre-russell-road/), whereas we charge £12 per 24h, although spaces are limited.

Since your stay in 2012, the hotel has been under constant renovation, including the carpets have been changed throughout the hotel in 2013. I am sure you will be able to enjoy our improved interior if you decide to stay with us again. Please call reception directly for offers.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

The room was tiny. No dressing table the curtains fell apart you couldn't even close them the climb to the top was horrible as the carpets on the stairs were so dangerous the landing was filthy and a wardrobe was sat on the landing as well. There is never anyone on reception I won't be staying in room 410 again or any other number

Room Tip: Check it first
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thank you for your comment. The room you stayed in (410) is a standard double. If you needed a dressing table it should have been requested either in your booking or on arrival. As it was mentioned several times here before, all the rooms are individually decorated and the ones with dressing tables are 307 (double), 306 (double), 202 (4 poster), and 101 (4 poster). We always try to accommodate all the guests requests whenever possible. The wardrobe on the landing is there for housekeeping purposes. For the curtains, if there really was a problem, you could have reported the problem to reception or housekeeping and it would have been fixed immediately for you. However, we do inspect the rooms before checking in our guests. There is always hotel staff available for you, however you need to press the button at the reception for attention and you will be served immediately.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Four of us went to Brighton for a night,(friday) and decided to stay on the sat, after walking about for ages trying to find some accommodation we found this place, it all seemed ok so we booked 2 rooms at £85 each< well when we got to the rooms i`ve never seen anything like it!! they were absolutely disgusting, they were in the loft, the beds had so many stains on them they should av gone on the fire, what a dump, these rooms are not even worth £10 a night let alone £85, bloody rip off, so if your ever stranded in Brighton dont book this hovel, you cant even say its tired, its rotten dirty.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sybilsummers

Thank you for your comment. Without your prior booking, these two rooms were the last ones left in the hotel for that busy night. As it was mentioned here before, our best rooms go first, and without any other availability these rooms were all we had. However, these rooms were shown to you by our receptionist before you committed to stay, so it was your own choice. Also, the hotel is constantly under renovation, and these rooms (117 & 118) were newly redecorated in June 2013.

Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

We went to this hotel on a very busy weekend, everywhere was booked up. This was the only one vacant. I payed £150. After booking. I read the reviews, I thought it can't be that bad. It was! I have never stayed in a hotel as dirty as this. We were lucky as we had the best room. The bedding felt dirty with a musty smell . In the morning when checking out. There was a line of people complaining . I can't imagine what their rooms were like . Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank christina m

Thank you for your comment. However, I would like to point out straight away that it is hard to believe the trueness of your story, as your date of stay was May 2012 (1 year ago) and we have never ever had a line of people complaining in our hotel. You did have the best room in the hotel, but without seeing other rooms I find your comments about them very unreasonable. We have all rooms uniquely designed and there are pictures of each room here (with room numbers) for the public view.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

The hotel is in a perfect location for Brighton town centre, so shops, bars band restaurants, and the back front and pier. The decor is bright and fun and the hotel has a real character to it. The staff were friendly and helpful and offered us as choice of room. The price was so reasonable for what you get band the location. I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: There was no restaurant which didn't bother us at all as so many places nearby. If you can, get...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your stay and for nice comments. We are looking forward to welcoming you again!