“Cheap but Cramped and Damp”

Prince Regent Hotel
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Potton, United Kingdom
“Cheap but Cramped and Damp”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We expected the hotel to be a little quirky as the pictures of the decor are a bit 'different' putting it politely. The stairs, being on a 3rd floor room (room 307 or 308, cannot remember) were very worn, rickety and narrow, I could see this being quite dangerous if someone was to fall however being a listed building I understand changes to the structure are limited. The room itself being described as a double was more like a large single. The bed sheets were damp and you could barely fit one person around the outside of the bed. It was clearly a larger room split in half with a false wall in which you could hear everything anyone in the other half of the room was talking about. There was a LOCKED FIRE DOOR separating the rooms, of which is not only dangerous but against the law!! If there was a fire on the floor below, you would be trapped in that room; as there was no way of getting out of the window.

Continuing on, the lights sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, the TV was also just as predictable. It stated that a hair dryer was including within the room, after searching all the cupboards none could be found. We then went down to the 1st floor reception, and called the button for attention, not once, twice, but 3 long rings before a lady emerged stating she would bring one up to us... which as you can guess never happened. The bathroom was again basic and cramped.

However the sea view and location was perfect for us. Only a few minutes from the railway and shops, as well as a few minutes to the seafront, pier, nightclubs and bars. We were only looking for a room to crash in, and this was perfect for that after long nights out.

Room Tip: 305 in which our friend stayed in was a lot nicer, however still with a locked fire door.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

The doors you are referring to are not fire doors. We have sprinkles installed throughout the Hotel and we are fully certified with Fire Risk Assessment Team, and we have a yearly assessment carried out by them. In case of fire, emergency procedure must be followed by all guests and staff, which does not imply guests escaping from the windows. So I can reassure you, that the hotel is safe for everyone.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel isn't even worth a rating it's that disgraceful. Receptionist/owner was nice until I wanted a refund knowing I wasn't even staying in this hotel. I was in the hotel next door which has a similar name, i showed her my reservation which clearly had the hotel next door name on the top. She clearly knew i wasn't staying here, but me non the wiser, believed her when she said the booking/payment hadn't gone through so she went off with my card and paid for the room. Moments later my partner came in saying i was in the wrong hotel so i politely asked her for a refund from her, which she point blankly refused to do, saying she needed to speak to the manger first. We later found out she is the manger and lied to my face. Customer service??? Haha what customer service!! The hotel next door is called the regency and was absolutely brilliant, customer service fab. My advise to anyone thinking of staying here DON'T! Read the reviews they speak the truth!

Room Tip: Don't book here!!
Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steveo1805
Thank you for your review.

Upon arrival you insisted that you stay in our hotel, even though there was no reservation under your name. Booking.com was contacted in front of you and informed that we did not receive your booking. When they confirmed that will resend the booking confirmation in a minute (possibly mixing up the hotel with the one next door as well), receptionist, with who you were dealing (not a manager) proceeded with the booking. I am sorry for the misunderstanding and inconvenience this has caused you, however it feels unfair to receive such a review when you did not even stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I was in Brighton for a couple a weekend and my girlfriend booked this place for us, when I read the reviews on trip advisor I was not looking forward to the experience but the place was pretty good it was clean it was close to the Center I the the city the host was very good and hospitable and the place was beautiful, the rooms are a little small but if u get the sea view then they are just great. It made in an older fashion which adds to the charm. All in all I had a good time at the prince regent.

• Stayed July 2013
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review!

We will be happy to welcome you again in the Prince Regent Hotel!
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My Partner and I booked a 2 night stay a the Prince Regent Hotel. The stair carpet is a complete disgrace, worn and ill fitting - somebody will have an accident before long.

The rooms are tired and very stuffy. We had an adjoining room, which though well secured from access from other rooms, the occupants next door might as well have been in the room with us as you could hear every word of their conversation.

We are regular weekend visitors to Brighton and will continue to do this, however will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MJC699
Thank you for your review.

Since your stay, the hotel has been under constant renovation, including the carpets have been changed throughout the Hotel. I am sure you will be able to enjoy our improved interior if you decide to stay with us again. Please call reception directly for offers.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

location was fab (5/10 min walk into centre) the room was small and gaudily decorated but it was clean and the staff were helpful, it was worth the price, but if i come back to brighton i wouldnt stay again....

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review.

All our rooms are individually decorated. Upon room availability in the hotel, we can always provide another room with another décor, if you are not happy with your current room. Also there are photos of each room provided for your information. So, if you decide to stay with us again, please choose a room you like, and we will do our best to save it for your arrival.
milton keynes
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My girlfriend decided to take me away for a coupe of days for my birthday, and to be honest being such short notice I booked this hovel without reading any reviews from tripadvisor BIG MISTAKE!!!!!
Upon arrival we where met by a very nice landlady (1st floor reception) the stairs where narrow and very dangerous due to the old thread bare carpet coming away, we stayed in room 203 with a sea view and a four poster bed, the room was so small that myself and my girlfriend could not pass at the same time to get to the shabby cupboards, it was dirty, shabby, and distasteful the décor was a joke trying to be regency (being a decorator don't make me laugh)!!!!!
The shower room was dirty, the floor uneven, extractor fan not working and 2 hot taps???
Bedroom carpet dirty décor shabby bedside table uneven bed sheets stained plasma tv (ha ha ha) did not work!!! under the bed was debis from electrical works under taken (for what god knows)???

The breakfast is at an extra cost a short walk from the said hotel where we found the staff to be rude and the food awful!!!!

Having read many reviews since returning home the open response from the hotel is 'Thankyou for your comments' upon having so many bad reviews I don't want your thanks just do something about your disgusting establishment!!!!!

Room Tip: don't go there!!!
Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunburntMiltonKeynes
Thank you for your review.

Since your stay, the hotel has been under constant renovation, including the carpets have been changed throughout the Hotel. You will be able to enjoy our improved interior if you decide to stay with us again. However, if you need a bigger room, please state this in special requests upon booking, as the room you have stayed in is a standard double. If something in the room does not work - it can always be fixed straight away, but only if you let staff know about the problem. There is always a member of staff on duty during our opening hours and we are always happy to help! So, if you will ever be in Brighton again, please call reception for a special offer, and we will be happy to welcome you again in out Hotel!
london
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a place in Brighton to take my wife away for the weekend for her birthday. We have two dogs and wanted to take them with us.
We googled 'dog friendly' accommodation in the area and not many came up being available as it was a bank holiday weekend.

We phoned this 'hotel' and the very friendly man on the phone quoted us £220 for two nights . Dogs welcome. Stating we had a "superior double" room.

On our arrival we were greeted by the owner/manager same man we spoke to on the phone who was friendly and welcoming. This was when the positives of this stay ended. At the front door.

The decor of the 'hotel' is old fashioned and would only appeal to a very select taste. We thought it vulgar and ugly.

Once taken to our room , we were horrified. Firstly at how tiny the room was for two people, two dogs and luggage with Zero storage. You could barely walk around the bed without touching the dirty walls. The room decor was old, tatty and quite vile.
Holes and Staines in the carpets, dirt and grime throughout this small bedroom . Cracks in the paintwork and generally grubby.

Onto the 'bathroom' . Three words.
Dirty. Shabby. Terrible.

There was a sign on the shower glass door on a tatty piece of paper, handwritten 'please run the hot water tap before turning on the shower'
when we did this it made a loud cranking noise! We were scared the water tank was going to burst !!

We would have moved hotels there and then if we didn't have dogs with us but we were kind of stuck there.

I would never ever stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The only positive was the friendly man that greeted us.

Worst £220 I've ever spent! I wish now I'd taken photos as you have to see this place to believe just how bad it is.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Thepitt999
Thank you for your review.

If you check our page on booking.com - you will be able to see our Hotel policies, which clearly state that pets are not allowed in the Hotel. Possibly, the hotel you have stayed in was a next door hotel - Regency Hotel, who allow pets. This makes your review completely wrong. Please double check the name on the hotel you stayed in.