“Maybe things have improved. I have no complaints.”

Prince Regent Hotel
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Prince Regent is about midway along the top of Regency Square which itself runs off Marine Parade, opposite the former West Pier. The front rooms have sea views. It's a 15 to 20 minute walk from the hotel to Brighton Pier and most of the entertainment centres.

As this was my first Brighton hotel stay, I have nothing to compare it with in the £30 a night range, less than a block from the seafront. It's a narrow, Grade II listed building (old, quaint, quirky is almost a given) so I sort of knew what to expect: a small room up some narrow, wooden, creaky stairs. But the whole place is carpeted, so extremely quiet and cosy.

As others have said, the manager/receptionist Ellen is a gem. Polite, friendly and informed about everything. Check-in was quick and efficient. Checkout was simply leaving the key at the desk.

The decor in the rooms is somewhat gaudy, but everything was clean and the double bed comfortable. There is WiFi, TV and a hot drink making set supplied. There was space in the stocked small fridge for a pint of fresh milk and cold drinks I bought around the corner in a street full of all types of restaurant and there are a few pubs nearby too.

The bathroom is small (there are strict limitations on altering these 250-year-old buildings structurally) with a basin, toilet and the smallest shower cubicle I have ever seen. But plenty of hot water. By the second day I had worked out a technique for showering! Better a small ensuite than sharing bathrooms and toilets as is the case with many places of this type.

There is no restaurant, but a £5 coupon gets you a full English breakfast (a la carte menu too) at the Regency Restaurant on the corner, Brighton's famous (75 year) oldest fish restaurant. Excellent fish and chips and other food served too.

The 'rules' of the house for the Prince Regent are simple. Between 9pm and 9am the front door is locked but the key is attached to the room card keyring and guests can come and go at any time.

Regarding car parking, the secure Regency Square NCP (underground) immediately in front of the hotel costs £10 overnight, but the hotel offers £5 parking if you ask for it.

All in all, I was very comfortable in this rather quaint old hotel and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Reception is upstairs on the 1st floor, so rooms are on 2 and 3 and there is no lift. Sea facing is...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GibWig

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Having booked a room in a great hurry weeks before, I only looked at previous reviews when I got to contact the hotel about time of arrival. I was quite upset by the negative character of many of them. However, the reality was much better than I expected. Aspects of the hotel's publicity are rather over-hyped but it has considerable merits, I think. The location is excellent, close to the sea front, a range of good, ethnically interesting restaurants, and the conference centre (I was attending the Labour Party Annual Conference). My small room on the third floor, which I didn't mind, was neat, clean, quiet, airy, reasonably comfortable for a short stay, with good ensuite facilities. A few minor problems were dealt with quickly and efficiently. The staff member in charge at the time, Ellen, is a star, very helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jonathanbo
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you very much for your comments!

I will be a pleasure to see you again in the Prince Regent Hotel! Please call reception directly for special offers.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel should be condemned! An hour after checking into this hotel I had a severe allergic reaction to the mould in the room! When I phoned management they told me to leave the key at the front desk on my way out! No apology and no refund! I have since phoned and left messages for the owner several times and never received a return call!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank zacl85
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here on Fri 2nd August with my girlfriend. When we booked we didn't get time to check reviews before hand but went directly through their website and thought we got a decent deal. WRONG. The website says there is parking available and you should call to reserve, on doing this we got told its first come first served. In the end we had to squeeze our car next to the owners lovely expensive jeep and pay £12 to park and hand over the keys incase they wanted to get their car out.... Then we went inside the hotel... It was old, shabby and smelt of mildew. The carpets were torn, worn and filthy. When we arrived at our room, we were welcomed by a shoddy dated carpet, a dated bathroom suite and a scabby bed base and mattress which was covered in all sorts if stains and looked like it was picked up from the local dump after being inhabited by the homeless... The shower cubicle was so small that every time you turned around to wash you either knocked the tap on scolding hot or freezing cold. This bathroom was also extremely dated with the tiles missing from the cubicle and surrounding it, the shower hose and soap tray was scummy and the seals were mouldy. The bed was very uncomfortable, it was boney and crunchy with every move. I pushed the bed frame over about half a foot out of curiosity and id say the cleaner hasn't bothered running the vacuum under there in years.... Which was probably pointless in cleaning anyhow as it was dated, smelly, and torn with missing patches.
Inside our wardrobe we had well used fleeced throws which were stained. The whole experience was very disappointing and wasn't worth the money paid. The hotel has so much potential with its location but really could do with a complete renovation along with a better management....

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Nakita H
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We expected the hotel to be a little quirky as the pictures of the decor are a bit 'different' putting it politely. The stairs, being on a 3rd floor room (room 307 or 308, cannot remember) were very worn, rickety and narrow, I could see this being quite dangerous if someone was to fall however being a listed building I understand changes to the structure are limited. The room itself being described as a double was more like a large single. The bed sheets were damp and you could barely fit one person around the outside of the bed. It was clearly a larger room split in half with a false wall in which you could hear everything anyone in the other half of the room was talking about. There was a LOCKED FIRE DOOR separating the rooms, of which is not only dangerous but against the law!! If there was a fire on the floor below, you would be trapped in that room; as there was no way of getting out of the window.

Continuing on, the lights sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, the TV was also just as predictable. It stated that a hair dryer was including within the room, after searching all the cupboards none could be found. We then went down to the 1st floor reception, and called the button for attention, not once, twice, but 3 long rings before a lady emerged stating she would bring one up to us... which as you can guess never happened. The bathroom was again basic and cramped.

However the sea view and location was perfect for us. Only a few minutes from the railway and shops, as well as a few minutes to the seafront, pier, nightclubs and bars. We were only looking for a room to crash in, and this was perfect for that after long nights out.

Room Tip: 305 in which our friend stayed in was a lot nicer, however still with a locked fire door.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review.

Since your stay, the hotel has been under constant renovation, including the carpets have been changed throughout the Hotel.

The doors you are referring to are not fire doors. We have sprinkles installed throughout the Hotel and we are fully certified with Fire Risk Assessment Team, and we have a yearly assessment carried out by them. In case of fire, emergency procedure must be followed by all guests and staff, which does not imply guests escaping from the windows. So I can reassure you, that the hotel is safe for everyone.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel isn't even worth a rating it's that disgraceful. Receptionist/owner was nice until I wanted a refund knowing I wasn't even staying in this hotel. I was in the hotel next door which has a similar name, i showed her my reservation which clearly had the hotel next door name on the top. She clearly knew i wasn't staying here, but me non the wiser, believed her when she said the booking/payment hadn't gone through so she went off with my card and paid for the room. Moments later my partner came in saying i was in the wrong hotel so i politely asked her for a refund from her, which she point blankly refused to do, saying she needed to speak to the manger first. We later found out she is the manger and lied to my face. Customer service??? Haha what customer service!! The hotel next door is called the regency and was absolutely brilliant, customer service fab. My advise to anyone thinking of staying here DON'T! Read the reviews they speak the truth!

Room Tip: Don't book here!!
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steveo1805

Thank you for your review.

Upon arrival you insisted that you stay in our hotel, even though there was no reservation under your name. Booking.com was contacted in front of you and informed that we did not receive your booking. When they confirmed that will resend the booking confirmation in a minute (possibly mixing up the hotel with the one next door as well), receptionist, with who you were dealing (not a manager) proceeded with the booking. I am sorry for the misunderstanding and inconvenience this has caused you, however it feels unfair to receive such a review when you did not even stay with us.

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I was in Brighton for a couple a weekend and my girlfriend booked this place for us, when I read the reviews on trip advisor I was not looking forward to the experience but the place was pretty good it was clean it was close to the Center I the the city the host was very good and hospitable and the place was beautiful, the rooms are a little small but if u get the sea view then they are just great. It made in an older fashion which adds to the charm. All in all I had a good time at the prince regent.

• Stayed: July 2013
Hellenk17, Manager at Prince Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you very much for your review!

We will be happy to welcome you again in the Prince Regent Hotel!