Prince Regent Hotel
US$252
  • Beachfront
The Granville Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$142
  • Breakfast included
US$160
US$149
  • Beachfront
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$163
Travelocity
US$151
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
The Lanes Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Breakfast included
US$98
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsoverlooking regency squarebeautiful regencyold victorianbalcony roommin walkoverlooking the seaone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Compact hotel in regency style, quirky but not without a certain charm. The hotel is well located at the head of an open square with rooms on the front enjoying a good sea view. The proprietor was friendly and helpful, but the building fabric was quite poor and really in need of refurbishment (boutique it wasn't). Breakfast, if taken (I didn't) was served at a different establishment locally (presumably no chef/kitchen).

My room was quite small, on the second floor but enjoyed good views across Regency Square to the sea (best feature). Perhaps the decor was an acquired taste - the wallpaper is eclectic - with no shortage of mirrors!!? It wasn't expensive vs. local standards so I didn't expect much - which was about what I got.

Size was OK for one but would be cramped for two. It was very hot (UK in heat wave) with no air-con, so I had to keep the window open all night to compensate. This made for a lot of noise vs. what I'm used to - traffic, party animals and seagulls, even at 3am! I found "light pollution" from streetlights (due to open window/ heat) and a bright room emergency exit more troubling. That said, I managed to sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a small fridge, useful to chill cold drinks in the temperatures encountered - a welcome bonus! There was the usual kettle with tea and coffee sachets - OK, not luxurious (no biscuits). The plethora of power leads multi-ganged from one wall socket/extension was probably electrically OK, but didn't inspire confidence.

The en-suite shower room was the real disappointment - worse than I had expected for even a basic establishment. Very small, dated, basic and bordering on "pokey", It probably couldn't be much bigger without further compromising the room size, from which it taken. The shower base was sub-standard size, so barely usable, with just a curtain rather than door. The shower head wouldn't stay up if orientated horizontally. Control was a basic mixer tap with no thermostatic capability. The 70's style tiling looked "grubby" and the grouting was often cracked or coming away and this didn't help the appearance, which really didn't look that clean! Being charitable, it may have been age and wear, rather than fresh dirt, but the poor fabric would make it difficult to clean properly. Supplied towels were at least clean. Overall usable, better than nothing - just don't expect much so as to avoid disappointment.

Would I stay again? Yes if the price was right, based on convenience and if I got a sea view. At least, based on my room, it was OK for one but wouldn't be ideal for a romantic or luxurious weekend away.

Room Tip: Request a sea view and if possible a room where the bath/shower room has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room.
Quiet area close to restaurants .
Will definitely stay again.
The owner was lovely.
Breakfast was extra at the restaurant on the corner. Very good value for money .
We had the large room at the front with the balcony . Maybe the bathroom needed updating but wonderful relaxing stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank netball1966
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Arriving on Friday afternoon with a fellow colleague of mine we booked a twin room. It was clean, comfortable and very pleasant. The room had everything you would need and more such as a fridge, coffee/tea facilities, snacks and lots of toiletries! I had encountered around 4 different members of the hotel staff - all of which where very polite and willing to help us with anything and advice us on what to do in brighton when we are free. Our weekend was delightful and brighton is honestly such a beautiful place and one of my favourites. The weather was hot aswell which made it even better. Will be back again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank blahblahblah186338
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This has to be the worst hotel I have stayed in. The room was very small and in need of a good clean. Great location but that is the only that is positive about it. The room including the bathroom are very dated. With two of us in the room it was very difficult to move around as it was so small. We asked to see the manager to complain about the room and go to another hotel but the lady on reception said she only worked there. Later found out she is the owner !!! Avoid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a night here while visiting Brighton and were disappointed with the standard of the rooms. To be fair I think the building is heritage listed so the owners are probably limited in what changes they can make, but there is nothing to stop them from keeping the hotel clean. The shower curtain in the bathroom smelled very bad and had mould at the bottom of it. It clearly needs to be taken down and washed. Otherwise cleanliness was ok, but could be better. The room had a stale smell when we arrived and we had to open the window to air it out. We stayed in a room with a four poster bed and the double bed was very small and extremely uncomfortable to sleep in. It's so short that your feet hang off the edge, even with your head right up against the headboard. The owner was pleasant and helpful enough, but I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014