“A great Hotel to hang out”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Having just ran the marathon I was in need of some rest.
At check in I had very nice reception from the delightful young & most welcoming receptionist then straight to the great bar area for some celebratory drinks.
Having stayed in the frumpy old Grand (wouldnt again) trendy Drakes (very nice) & cool My Hotel (very nice) we were a little worried this Hotel might be to stuffy! It certainly isn't & has a lovely atmosphere & is well appointed through out in a french theme.
The room was nice too, perhaps a bit corporate but the luxurious bathroom was splendid with a hugh shower area, & separate roll top bath.
The hotel left some recovery goodies in the room which was a nice touch.
Breakfast was great & well worth the extra we paid.
Centrally located close to pretty much everything we really enjoyed our short stay her & would definately return again.

2  Thank christianbutler

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Very nice hotel situated near the sea front with easy access to the town and all the major attractions. Good clean modern rooms with excellent bathroom and everything that you may require. Only problem we had was the noise form the street into the early hours on a Saturday night/Sunday morning as its situated near 'kebab korner' on the main drag. Could be avoided if requesting a room not overlooking the street - failing that take the earplugs. Could be awkward for disabled travellers as some rooms accessed via narrow/steep staircase.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can suffer from noise.
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have just finished reading the last review, and had a very similar experience.

I went to the first Hotel du Vin in Winchester almost 18 years ago, just after it opened, and have been going back ever since as new ones open. One of the main reasons for choosing HDV in Brighton over other better reviewed hotels is the brand. While I've had a lot of disappointing meals in HDV, I've always had a superb room, and always good value for the money.

This was a special occasion. Two nights away from the kids for a big birthday. We booked a "Superior" room on a 2 night deal with breakdast. For 500 quid, you expect something pretty special.

What we got would have shamed a Travelodge. Yes, we got the big shower head and a nice bath, but there wasn't the room to swing a kitten, let alone a cat. It was a little like being dumped on a bed in a corridor at the local A&E. A quick look at lastminute.com showed that we could be in Central London, swanning in palatial luxury for the same cost. As I look now, for another 50 quid all in I could have a superb Duplex suite in Bristol for the same cost in three weeks. I have stayed in it, and it is fantastic.

We complained, and like the last reviewer, we were given Arundel, a "junior suite". It isn't. It is a large double room with a bath in the bay window. I love the whole bath-in-the-room thing, but there are no net curtains, and it is overlooked from across the road. Not a comfortable experience.

There are no plug sockets near to a mirror. Not an issue for me, but a real pain for my wife.

The TV channels are very limited, and annoyingly, not listed anywhere, so you have to guess from what is on what channel you are watching.

It is noisy.

Brighton is a party town, and the secondary double glazing does little to mute it. Also, you could hear the people upstairs padding about at 3am, loud enough to be woken.

Lots of other minor niggles.

Major niggles include the cost of the parking (£50 for the recommended "safe" car park), and being rushed through breakfast: The staff rattled off tea and coffee choices, and slopped tea on the table as they dropped the teapot off. They tore round the restaurant at breakfast time, obviously keen to move everyone out in time for lunch. Totally unrelaxing.

HDV just seem to have got it wrong in Brighton. I've had some fantastic stays elsewhere, and all of the little things seem to be just right. At HDV Brighton, they seem to have got it all wrong.

Spend your money more wisely, and go to Cheltenham or Bristol.

3  Thank 885nigelc
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Went here for a week for business & holiday. Per my business, booked what is a "standard" room.

Very warm reception at the hotel - a bit busy and as other reviews mention - a lot of luggage right in lobby under the stairs. Our room (Laroche) was ready - right off the courtyard on the first floor. It was horrible. I was stunned when I've read such glowing reviews and have had others from my work say how wonderful it was. Laroche is tiny - door almost hits the bed tiny. Your shins always hitting the bed tiny. The room seemed smoky and it was, again, TINY. Couldn't use the small desk as the only place the lamp, nespresso machine, wine glasses, etc. could sit. To be fair - a good amount of cupboard space and a packed minibar(however, so packed no place to put your own, cheaper drinks.) Definitely no "underfloor heating" as stated in the site. One tiny window that looked out on the noisy, cigarette laden courtyard and anyone outside or going upstairs could look right in your room. TV had only 7 channels plus 3 Sky TV sports channels. No alarm clock in the room. Very dim and claustrophobic. Very loud from outside and there was a room next to us I think was a supply closet for the staff - so it was constantly slamming. The bathroom was nice - very large, towel warmer, huge ledge for toiletries and a great rain shower head. Great water pressure and hot water. The Miller Harris toiletries were very nice and they did have "ear buds" (Q tips) and cotton pads as well. The mirror and the magnifying mirror are VERY high - I'm 5'6" and could see my eyes and that's about it. The vanity/ sink is so deep that you're about 2 1/2 feet from the mirror - not useful for shaving, makeup, etc. Really hard to see. As seems common in England NO outlets for hair dryers, etc. Ladies - you're stuck scrambling for an outlet somewhere in the room, and not by a mirror. Not useful - please lower the mirrors!
Americans note: they do not put a "top sheet" on the bed, just a duvet. So we had to get one from the front desk, as well as wash clothes/ face flannels. ( Front desk was very nice.) The room was just so dark and tiny and claustrophobic - very depressing. No way could I do any work in there - and no place to sit besides the bed. I kept banging my legs on the bed as it took up the whole room. Not very good sleep due to all the noise. The bed was ok - but very very very firm. No outlets anywhere - we had to keep unplugging one stuck behind a curtain by the desk anytime we needed to charge anything - didn't see any other outlets anywhere. As a business traveler, you want to avoid this room, unless you're just crashing for the night and immediately leaving/ checking out in the morning (and don't have to work in your room. ) Couples - definitely do not have this room - ask for another. (Even the room next to us had more room.) Had my assistant call to get a new room - could get one FIVE days into my stay. So for five days stuck in a very dark, depressing room.

The bar: bar is very nice - great selection and very kind staff who make generous drinks. All dark wood & leather sofas that are very comfy & "squishy". You can order from a small bar menu for food as well : BIGGEST club sandwich I've ever had - very good & fresh with juicy turkey carved off a turkey, yummy hard boiled egg and very fresh & hot chips. Also had a great croque monsieur there. Staff at bar very attentive and will cater to you. You can also get a fabulous afternoon tea in the bar area - amazing tea & service and too much food for one person to eat. Make sure to specify "big, full traditional tea service" (afternoon tea) otherwise you'll just get a small pot of tea.

The rest: front staff always very kind, remembered us and quick to call us taxis when we needed them. Tried to go to the bistro once - quite a few tables eating in there but one of the waiters (new? ) looked puzzled when we asked for a table & grabbed what I assume was the manager or the maitre'd - who was very curt and said they were closed. We were puzzled as their door was open & plenty were eating. Didn't see any hours posted - when she curtly said they closed btw. lunch and dinner. So that was that.

New room: our new room after five days was "Arundel" - and was amazing in comparison. It's above the Pub Du Vin - so you can get to it from the hotel up & over some hallways - or from the Pub when it is open. One caveat: to be secure (I assume from wandering drunks from the pubs) they have a key to get into the hotel hallway. I appreciate the thought - but the catch is I went to leave the next day while my husband stayed behind and I couldn't get out of the hotel! You need the key at all times to leave, to get in - but there is only ONE hotel hallway key on the keyring. Since many here are couples - a suggestion for HDV would be two room keys & two hallway keys. Arundel is a "junior suite" - and apparently 600-700 a night. (Laroche was about 230) Very large with a beachy theme - whitewashed panels, driftwood, cottage lights, etc. Smaller wardrobe - but with hairdryer, ironing board, etc. Safe and mini bar on the other side of the wardrobe - again mini bars stocked so full (with really nice beverages) that we had no room for our drinks. Decorative fireplace with nice flat screen above it. Larger desk w/ Nespresso machine, room service menus ( we didn't see any reference to room service in the tiny Laroche room - but here you could order from the pub or the bistro!) HUGE bay window with a roll top bathtub in it ( tall people rejoice - you could fit in the tub) and two good size bedside tables with mounted lamps.Note - the bathtub IS in the middle of the room - with no curtain to draw around it. Again I "get" the "sexy quotient" - but not everyone would be comfy with this , and you definitely couldn't take a tub with the curtains open to "enjoy the view" as other rooms look directly into yours across the street. Queen bed that was a bit more comfy than the last bed. Bathroom smaller - but nice. Had a large walk - in dual rain head shower, nice sink with a better positioned mirror (thank you!) and the towel warmer. NOTE: some have mentioned this but the bathroom wall/ door is glass w/ frosted glass in the middle. This means YOU CAN SEE YOUR PARTNER ON THE TOILET! (Well, you can see their legs and you know their on the loo) Very disconcerting, very unromantic and, ahem, you can hear everything. The room is right on Ship Street - we luckily didn't hear too many partiers too late whilst we were there. But you can hear the suite across the hall slam their door and people up & down the stairs and hall - but it's an old building, so expected. The first night the room seemed really cigarette smoky - after that it dissapated. We ordered room service and were offered not only the menu stated, but the entire bistro or pub menu. Early on my hubby went to the front desk to ask about what was available - as the manager (?) rushed to get us a bistro menu - amazing service & thoughtfulness.

Suggestions for Arundel: change the door/ wall for the Bathroom to something solid. I "get" that steamy glass in a WC could be seen as sexy, but your partner on the toilet is not. Again, no outlets(except shaver) in bath so have to scrounge for one near the bed - but you have no mirror to see yourself for hair styling, etc. Also - there are great places for a few hooks for coats, scarfs, bags, umbrellas - if HDV could put them in! There was no good place for your purse, coat, etc - yet the room had ample room for a few improvements that would be the "little things" that make ALL the difference and could take the room to the next level. A little dim light or nightlight would be great too - as we had to open the curtains a bit to see during the night - but that is the Ship St. side and a pretty bright streetlight. Even though the room was bigger - there were no additional places to really sit - no side chair, or ottoman or little loveseat.There were a few more outlets - but not one available in the desk area - odd. [**Tip: make sure the outlet does have the switch in the "ON" position which is opposite North America - up is off, down is on] For a junior suite most would expect this. Would be difficult to work at the desk as well. Again, even in the suite , limited TV. I know people don't go on holiday to watch TV, but both to unwind at the end of the day, receive some news or for a business person it can make a difference. In this newer room (I guess no option for the crappy room? ) you can order breakfast in bed/ breakfast room service the night before and put the order on your door handle for delivery at your requested time in the morning. The servings were large for breakfast, amazing flaky, yummy pastry, but the coffee is a bit weak/ standard "drip" coffee. Tea was excellent - and fresh juices & fruit.

Remember there is no lift, but the staff was always amazing at getting our luggage - they definitely wanted to take care of you & they brought all our luggage to both our rooms as well as when we were checking out. The service/ staff is excellent, but the rooms don't seem to be worth the resort- town prices Brighton has. The first room (Laroche) and some others we peered into were not like the pics currently on the website at all. The junior suite was like the pics, and we snuck a peek into "Beachy Head" suite across the way - that seemed 3x bigger than our suite.

All in all: great location in Lanes and right near ocean, good food and service, rooms vary widely - ask to see your room ahead of time so you're not disappointed or running into the furniture all night. Be prepared to pay a high price for a bigger, nicer room.

Recommended: go to Cafe COHO down Ship St- AMAZING hand crafted espresso and scrumptious French pastries with nice ambiance and free wifi - helped make each day a bit brighter. [Jaime's Italian was good too!]

Room Tip: Look to upgrade & get a larger room. Be aware of Ship St. facing rooms if you need quiet ( lots...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank peapod33
Reviewed 17 April 2012

If you want to visit Brighton and treat yourself to a bit of luxury then Hotel Du Vin is the place. It is perfectly located for brousing in the Lanes or enjoying the seafront and pier. I took my family (marathon running wife and two children aged 5 and 8) for the weekend of the Brighton marathon. The set up of the interconnecting rooms provided an excellent blend of privacy for my wife and I and safety for the children. The rooms themselves are very comfortable with excellent bathrooms. The beds are sumptuous but to be sure of a good nights sleep on a Saturday you do not want to be facing Ship Street as it is noisy. All the public areas of the hotel (Bar/Restaurant/Courtyard) are suitably chic although the reception area is too small to cope with busy times. The service was generally good but a few forgotten or erroneous orders let them down a bit. The food and menu in the brasserie was nothing special so I would advise eating out as Brighton has a wide choice of restaurants but if you do stay in, let the Sommelier guide you through the wine. He was excellent. Hotel Du Vin is not a cheap option but you get what you pay for. One word of warning, there is no parking at the hotel and the nearest carparks are expensive.

Room Tip: Avoid facing Ship Street on a Saturday night as it is a bit noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the DuVin for three nights over easter weekend 2012. We paid about GBP 220 per night average for a superior room with a king bed and small outside terrace.

Pros:

Monsoon Shower, Bed, Huge Bath, location, bistro, pub, food, patio, and service were all simply perfect.
Prices in the bistro were great value for money.
Staff were accommodating, communicative and adaptable, allowing late check out, movement of dinner reservations, cancellation of previously booked wine and cheese function. Genuine and friendly.

Cons:

I simply cannot think of any!

Room Tip: If you cannot ascend or descend stairs well ask your hotel to put you in a one level room. Our room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Carrie R
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was our first stay in a Du Vin hotel and overall we were pretty happy with the standard.

The reception area was a little crowded with a lot of suit cases but the staff were quite friendly and efficient.

The only negative comment I would make it would be the piles of towels and cleaning equipment scattered outside the rooms and on the stairs/landings.

Our room/suite was very nicely decorated and a good size. We loved the large free standing bath plus the double showers. I wasn't so keen on the glass wall separating the bedroom and bathroom as you could see exactly what your partner is up to in the bathroom!!

We didn't eat in the bistro mainly because the menu didn't appeal to us and we skipped breakfast as we were told by a friend who lives in Brighton the best place to go for breakfast is Bills Produce Store, which I would also highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite called the Arunde which was very nice and would recommend booking - from...
2  Thank ryanpa_UK