“Disappointing”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel this week. On first appearance we were very pleased, it was very attractive and had a nice atmosphere. We were shown to our room by a very pleasant receptionist, unaware that we had to go up two flights of stairs, there is no lift, unfortunate for me as I have some joint problems. This is the first point I may have overlooked but I had found the hotel's website not very informative and we had, before our arrival, had to make a couple of phone calls about parking etc. Our room was nothing more than ok, a nice big bed but I immediately noticed that the room wasn't very clean, a sticky ring mark left on the bedside table and the bathroom wasn't up to scrutiny. We are not complaining people, so I let this pass, we were only staying one night. Dinner in the Bistro was another disappointing experience, the food was excellent, don't get me wrong, but the staff left a lot to be desired. We arrived at 7pm, as previously booked and told we had to wait as the staff meeting hadn't finished in the Bistro yet. We sat out in the bar area, we weren't sure how long we would have to wait, so my husband ordered drinks at the bar. After about 5 minutes or so other guests were going in and being seated. No one informed us we could go in, no one had the courtesy to come over and take us to our table. We were seated and orders were taken, we waited a considerable time for my husband's course whilst we sat with ours going cold in front of us, so much that my eldest son asked two waiters when would it arrive? No apology, just placed in front of him eventually. As I said the food was very good but the bill was another problem. We wanted the bill split between two rooms, we told them this as we sat down to eat but they still put the bills together and then struggled to divide them at the end, we asked at least 3 members of staff if we could have the bill. My eldest son was becoming irritated, but as I said we are not complaining people. This is maybe our fault then. My husband and I tired from the day went straight to bed. This was a complete nightmare. The room was completely overlooked, a window directly opposite in a single traffic lane street, ok., not the hotel's fault but the air conditioning was as noisy as a jet engine at Heathrow! My husband got up and had to turn it off, he just could not sleep - I love cold air but even I had difficulty sleeping with it. Obviously when it was turned off we could hear other noises like seagulls etc., outside which we couldn't before! The bed was rock solid, I contemplated sleeping on the floor, I thought it would have more "give" than the bed. No wonder there is a 24 hour bar for guests, it's probably a more comfortable option than the bed. Breakfast was served by a very curt man, who was a little patronising, my son's girlfriend was very annoyed by his attitude, it was early, 7am and we were the first down to breakfast, but even so. When we checked out the the receptionists, two new ones, were as lovely as the first but tried to charge us twice for the wine we'd had a dinner. We were now becoming tired with the lack of professionalism of the whole place and wanted to get off to our daughter's graduation, but were delayed whilst this was sorted. Definitely, without a moment's hesitation, would not stay there again! Possibly the worst hotel I'd ever stayed in and my husband agreed. Such a shame as we were exhausted for our daughter's special day.

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a look to choose a room before you commit to one, our son's room had a lovel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula G

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We've stayed at the Hotel du Vin in York and Winchester and we very much enjoyed our stay at both hotels so we were really looking forward to our weekend at their Brighton location. Despite the standard HdV features (great design, central historic location, good restaurant) we were quite disappointed. It seems the hotel is struggling to deal with the onslaught of functions and guests coming into town on summer weekends.

Positive
- good location, great historic building
- pleasant HdV design

Negative
- inacceptable room with 2 tiny frosted windows facing a brick wall (1.5m distance to wall). We felt like staying in a cellar. The room was aptly named: Dark Star. There have more rooms like this, e.g. one without a windows at all but just a french door to provide daylight. When we made our booking we were not advised of this and the rate was the same as for any other room in the hotel
- poor front desk service. We arrived at 2PM and as our room was not yet ready were told that the hotel staff would take our luggage to the room + ring us once the room was ready. None of this happened. When we returned to the hotel at 7pm our bags were still in the lobby...
- room cleanliness and maintenance. My wife steped into a shard of glass when she used the bathroom for the first time. The shower extractor fan wouldn't work so the entire room steamped up very quickly (the tiny windows did not provide enough ventilation)
- soaked morning paper. The access to some of the rooms, including ours, is via an outdoor patio. The morning paper gets deposited in a box outside the door so if it rains in the morning you better get your newspaper from the nearest newsagent because the hotel newspaper will have turned into pulp by the time you pick

We shared this feedback when checking out and Stephen kindly offered a £50 discount.

In a nutshell, the Brighton HdV is clearly not playing in the same league as other locations of the Hotel du Vin.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Couple_from_London8
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Hotel du vin and we LOVED it. We stayed in the Adur room, which was a large superior room with free standing bath. The room was over pub du vin and very quiet, except for the seagulls. Great location and facilities, everything you could want. Staff were excellent and the food in both the bistro and pub du vin was delicious. We will be coming back next time we visit Brighton.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moleyc
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Brighton for my 30th birthday, and although we didn't stay at this hotel, she booked me, my brother and a friend into the Whisky tasting at the Hotel Du Vin. The tasting was ran by Edmond, who was extremely passionate about his Whisky! We really enjoyed the afternoon, and learnt a lot about Whisky. Edmond gave me a complimentary Dalmore glass as a birthday present, and we also got a Whisky association glass each too! I would definately recommend this to any Whisky enthusiasts. On a side note, the hotel Bar looked really nice.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BenDalloway
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I last reviewed this hotel in December 2011 when I thought it was very good - but a return visit in July proved no so great. We checked in and met with friends in the bar - it took the staff around 10 minutes to take the drinks order and then another 15 minutes to deliver them, even though the bar was very quiet in late afternoon. A latecomer to our group waited 30 minutes for her drink to arrive - but in the end we left for the restaurant before she’d actually been served! The next morning breakfast service was slow - they forgot our drinks order twice and had to keep coming back to ask. When breakfast arrived it wasn't a patch on the quality of last year. We went out for the day and got back at 4pm to find none of our 3 rooms had been serviced. On checking with the hotel reception we were told that they were very busy but assured us our rooms would be serviced by 7pm! Not really good enough. Check out was fine and the quality of the room was OK, but HdV have switched from their own label to Miller Harris toiletries which although very nice, come in much smaller bottles which were not replaced unless we specifically asked for them. We thought that this was a bit mean given that there were 2 of us sharing and a small bottle of shower gel doesn't go very far!! On the whole I was much less satisfied with the service than the last time I visited. HdV Brighton need either more staff or staff that are better trained and can manage to do more.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room if you don't want to be disturbed by late night revellers in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here for a business trip to Brighton. Rooms were comfortable, spacious and well appointed, with very good size bathroom. Service was efficient and friendly. Bar areas and bistro very nice, with good outside space with tables (though weather wasn't good enough to use this time). Had excellent dinner in the bistro, and there's also a Pub du Vin next door. Easy to walk from the train station, and there's a car park next doors. Do some good deals midweek. Would like to come back, when more time to enjoy the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank cemeredith
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Hotel du Vin is a really warm and comfortable hotel, well situated in the centre of Brighton. We had a one night stay there recently - the second time we had been there in the course of the last year - and we couldn't fault the place. Staff were really freindly and efficient.

The room we had was particularly spacious. It overlooked Ship Street, but we were not disturbed by noise in any way even though it was the weekend. The bed was really comfortable and the linen lovely. The bathroom was spacious, with bath and shower, bathrobes etc. The room had an ipod docking station and good TV.

We hadnt booked dinner, and the restaurant was fully booked, but the staff managed to squeeze us into a time slot which suited us. Although we had a limited time, we still had a decent meal, and the food was very good. Afterwards we had drinks in the bar lounge, and it is a very relaxing place indeed. The selection of wines, as you might expect, is excellent. A great place with a good ambience to relax with our friends.

Breakfast was first class all round - and good service.

The location is perfect for the seafront and the Lanes. Parking is a bit tricky, as you have to use
one of the nearby NCP car parks. We chose the nearest one, which was probably a mistake as the hotel can give you a discount if you use the second nearest, so best contact them before you go to check that out.

Next time we go to Brighton, we will certainly stay at the Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple