Hotel du Vin
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$89
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$245
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
1,511 results
All reviewsroll top bathhdv brightonmonsoon showerjunior suitefree standing bathwalk in showernespresso machineno liftwedding partylovely hotelsunday nightsea frontroom ratemini bareggs benedictmy partnerfollowing morning
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were a peculiar party - three doubles for three single women, including one in her late 80s who was treating the other two. Two sets of somewhat odd requirements, but HdV met the lot really. Loved the rooms friend and I had - wonderful monsoon shower and giant bath, a little balcony (mainly intended for smokers I suspect as it's on the north side of the hotel), not unreasonably priced mini-bar. Had dinner one night - service and food spot on, and drinks both - extensive wine/drinks list could have kept us amused for many an evening.
Helpful staff pleased the octogenarian especially. She was so taken with hotel/food/service that she thought we could look for HdVs for our future annual weekends away. Dead right - we had already come to that conclusion. Lively enough for us, peaceful enough for her; we liked quirky, she liked soft bed; bar delighted us, room service kept her very happy.
Only mild gripes...Coffee at breakfast really awful: tasted like stewed percolated disguised in a cafetiere, but the latte was great. No radio in rooms - it should be easy to provide this on telly shouldn't it?
Friend and I weren't paying, which obviously rather colours our views. For a treat, it was pretty much divine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Where I offer patronage at a dining establishment which aims for the high end crowd, I expect to pay for it but I would prefer not to feel short changed at the end of the experience.
The cuisine was acceptable, grilled seabass on risotto and jus d’pesto, but where an experience could achieve a higher notch is attention to detail. It would have been so easy to displace the crumbs between settings, add ice and perhaps a slice to a jug of table water, and I guess I am not the only one to frown upon the practice of imposing service AND adding a section for further gratuity.

Dessert red wine poached pear and orange ice cream, I did not feel that the flavours complemented each other, but perhaps it’s my personal preference, when I create this at home I serve with simple crème fraiche.

On a positive note the building interiors are interesting and the atmosphere inviting. On this occasion there was simply nothing special about the affair.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EatingPlenty
Reviewed 5 November 2012

as always great food and large bathrooms make it a pleasant stay but London prices and tired bedrooms gives the impression its best days are behind it! Our bathroom ceiling had mould on it and it seems it had not seen a coat of paint for a long time

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tiff66
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Arrived at the hotel at 2.30 pm for a wedding lunch, difficult to find and no car park, nitemare trying to find somewhere to park, when we did, 25.00 a night and that vwas apparantly cheap as it wasnt near the front!!
We were half way ready but wanted to finish off when we arrived as we didnt want to spend 4 hours being sat in our outfits, we checked in and were told the room wasnt ready but there are toilets that we can use!!! We got in to the room by 2.45 and changed and just made it in time.
The food at the lunch was delicious, cant fault that at all.
The drinks at the bar were crazy prices, a wedding guest commented it had cost him 60.00GBP for 5 drinks and my husband bought the bride a glass of sparkling Rose and was charged 9.95, he nearly passed out.
We tried to arrange a wheelchair for the Grooms mother who was very poorly and needed assistance to get to her room, the hotel dont have one so they rang around a few other local hotels and finally borrowed one from The Thistle Hotel so the Disabled facilities are pretty non existant.
The room itself was very nice but average, clean, nice beds and bedding, quite small but certainly not worth 250.00 a night! A bottle of watre in the mini bar is four pounds! I would have happily paid 120.00 max.
The bar is cosy, very atmospheric and dimly lit, there is an outside seating area with a small heater for smokers but it closes at 10.30pm so no more smoking for anyone after that time, especially if you go outside the front door of the hotel to have a smoke with a drink as youre told to leave your glass inside!!
We headed up to bed around 10.30pm, put the TV on and it didnt work so we rang reception and asked how to switch the TV on (!!), we were told Housekeeping turn the power of at night to save on the electricty, we were disgusted and put the phone down, within a few minutes, one of the night staff knocked on the door and replaced the cable in the nback of the TV anad put it on, gobsmacked. We asked the polish porter if he got regular complaints about this and said "No", we are the first!!!!!!!!!!!
So, all in all, has left us feeling ripped off, I wouldnt return and I wouldnt reccommend it, If you visit Brighton, look to stay in a small friendly B&B for a quarter of the price, theres plenty of choice.
We didnt stay for brekfast as it wasnt included! No surprise there.

Room Tip: A standard double cost 250.00GBP. Ypu have to go up 3 flights of stairs to reach these rooms and the view was a side street with a small pokey window which I couldnt open. I would suggest asking for a ground floor room but I have a feeling the charge will be even greater.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lonycadno
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We were actually staying at another nearby hotel, however being very aware of the Hotel Du Vin brand we decided to go in for some evening drinks. The hotel and bar was incredibly busy, that said it was a Saturday night so only to be expected.

Our order was taken and drinks brought to us pretty prompt. The cocktails were made to perfection, very nice and the service excellent. I have to agree with most other reviews in that it is a little over-priced, but to be fair I knew exactly what I was going into, so I've no real complaints on that front.

There was a good vibe in the bar area, a nice large outside area/courtyard for outside drinks or for smokers. This wouldn't be a bar that I would go to everytime in Brighton, great for the odd treat now and again though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple