“Good location”

Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is a good hotel in a great location near shops and seafront.The only downside, apart from the bath tap coming away when I tried to turn it off was that we were given an outside courtyard room which meant putting coats on and going down some stairs and across a courtyard to the dining room (it was February and freezing) . The bedroom door therefore opens to the elements and an icy blast comes in. Otherwise the room is well equipped, coffee machine is great and a lovely sound system. Great value if you take advantage of the Sunday night deal of spending £75 on food and drink and room is then £25.
The food in the restaurant was very good, better than I've had recently in other HDVs and service was also very good and friendly. There is no parking at the hotel but there are car parks nearby and there is a discount at NCP for hotel guests. I would definitely go back but maybe when (if) the weather's better!

Room Tip: Ask for an indoor room if its cold outside!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lovecorrie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had a such wonderful stay at the Hotel du vin Brighton. The rooms are gorgeous with all the home comforts you could need... And a dreamy roll top bath!! Great touch having the nespresso machines in the room. The staff could not be more welcoming and accommodating, we felt instantly relaxed and at home. Also love the location of the hotel, just a short walk from the train station and in a great spot in town.
The bar and lounge areas are gorgeous with a great buzz on the weekend. The bar serves up a fab selection of cocktails and the barman was super helpful in making a selection. We then had a wonderful dinner in the bistro, the food was delicious and a great wine menu.
All in all this is such a lovely hotel and we can't wait to visit another time soon!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Mauchline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We arrived on the worst day for snow Brighton has had for years,so trying to get to the hotel from Gatwick was a nightmare of a journey.The hotel staff at reception were efficient and pleasent.The rooms don't have numbers,they all have names.The room i had was Weltons,if you have a medical problem where going upstairs (66 steps) then never book Weltons. There is no lift in the hotel therefore it can be a bit of a trek to your room.The staff did offer to carry my back up to the room but i declined,on reflection i would let them carry it.The room was adequate as i was there myself. If had been there with my wife i would looking to book a better room.The room i had was in the roof space with one window in the bedroom and one window in the bathroom.The windows are old and secondary glazing has been added to the room in the bedroom, the bathroom was freezing as the original window with no secondary glazing was allowing a large amount of cold air in.The air conditioning was not working when i arrived therefore the room was freezing i complained the next day and a member of staff arrived with a heater promptly.The heating was never fixed the whole week but the heater did do the job. There was no views from the room but hey i was there working not sight seeing but because i was at the top of the hotel you are plagued by seagulls tapping the window early in the morning. I know there is not much the hotel can do about the local gulls but if i was booking a room for a short break then i would certainly be looking for a lower floor. The breakfast was excellent and this is served to you at your table. The bar was busy all week at night and as you would expect with this type of hotel and the hotels situation in Brighton alcohol can be a bit expensive. I never had an evening meal in the hotel so i cannot comment on the food.Brighton has so many varied places for eating that you cannot fail to find a good restraunt. I was going to give the hotel an average rating but i feel that may be a bit unfair as i am sure there will be better rooms than i had,but i certainly would ask before i booked where my room was situated in the hotel if i was going for a holiday because hill climbing has never been one of favourite pursuits.

Room Tip: Book a room on a low floor and try to keep away from the seagulls.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Hotel Du Vin was everything we expected. Great service. We had room service and the food was great & arrived very quickly. Room was lovely and we felt very spoilt. We will definitely be going back. The bar looked really fun but we couldn't really make use of it as we had the kids with us, maybe another time. Location was excellent as a very short walk to the pier, but not noisy.
Room was spacious and enough room for 2 camp beds for the children. Bathroom was luxurious with a huge walk in shower.
Highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel in March and I was pleased with the hotel. Very good breakfast and the staff are very helpful but the reason I am writing the review is due to one staff member in particular. His name is Nicer and he very kindly walked over a mile at midnight to find me at the train station to show me the way to the hotel after I had a nightmare trip travelling from Ireland in heavy snow and could not get a taxi to the hotel. He carried my bags all the way back for me in the snow and he was just so helpful to me and showed me to my room and even offered to get me something to eat so late in the night. I cannot thank him enough & I was sorry I did not get to see him again to thank him. I hope the hotel realise what a fantastic worker they have!

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Went for a short break here with my wife and daughter. Hotel is nice. we had a superior double on the 1st floor overlooking the street, which was very spacious. The bathroom had a standalone bath and a lovely wet room. The room did look a little tired in a couple of places but for the most part this was not apparent. The staff were friendly and helpful. We eat in the restaurant and had the two course set menu. We are not generally fussy eaters but the menu was quite restricted and the options were unappetizing. Although economical it did spoil the meal. The bar area was relaxed a very nice place to hang out. Only problem is the parking. The NCP (for which Hdv offer a discount) is still very expensive even with the discount. I strongly recommend you find alternative parking options before you arrive. Otherwise location is spot on. Close to the front and the pier and not far from the Pavilion. There is a great cafe (seven bees) just round the corner!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Reading, Berkshire
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. We were looking for a dog friendly hotel that didnt compromise on luxury and comfort and this was certainly it! We splashed out and booked the loft room which was enormous and the dog loved it - especially the doggy bed and water bowl waiting for him. The room had everything you would need - or atleast should have. The phone wasnt working so we had to dial the external number on our mobiles to get room service. There was supposed to be a bottle opener which there wasnt so again we had to dial externally to get that - then just as we had run a couple of lovely baths and wanted to listen to some music, the docking system wasnt working - so we had to be interrupted again. They were very lovely and came up with 2 glasses of prosecco to apologise, but it does ruin the flow of an evenig when things arent quite as they should be - especially when you are spendig quite a bit on a room - it's the experience that matters too. The food from the bistro was "ok" - not knock-out, but it wasnt too pricey either. All in all it was a lovely night, but I think perhaps when the room was renovated the attention to detail in terms of functionality wasnt quite there. I would still wholeheartedly recommend hotel du vin - all their properties are dog friendly so for us this will be a go-to hotel chain in future!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple