“Nice stay”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 4 February 2014

So, I've been here for drinks and for dinner but never stayed overnight. Visiting my parents now from Australia, here was my chance!
We got a DBB deal for this place to celebrate my birthday with family. After I'd booked the rooms they sent me an email asking me if I wanted to register for optional upgrades should they become available - for a fee of course. I think this is a great idea - another $70 much nearer the time of your stay doesn't seem so much if you already paid when you booked! Anyway, I just opted for upgrades for our two rooms from standard to superior - at GBP9.00. Excellent value, I thought. When we arrived however, they had awkwardly upgraded one couple and not the other. And they were full, so couldn't de-grade or up-grade either room. I chivalrously gave the larger room to my parents. But GRRR! the room was in the courtyard. I've always coveted a courtyard room - it always looked so quaint.....! Cute little lanterns on the whitewashed wood.... Anyway, I got over it.
So, our room was on the ground floor, across the courtyard in another building. It was called Quinta de portal. And it was at the front of the building facing onto the street. Noisy - Friday night in Brighton can get quite busy! The room itself was nice, if a little small - my partner kept bashing his toe on the end of the bed trying to navigate his way to the bathroom. The bathroom was great, with underfloor heating and a lovely roll top bath and lots of hot water, and a great rainforest style shower. Really, the bathrooms in all Hotels du vin are fantastic and an important reason for staying here! This one didn't disappoint. HdV also does the little extras really well. Plenty of teabags, REAL MILK in the fridge and PROPER MUGS! Hurrah!! Top marks! The Nespresso machines are a nice touch (though of course it completely flummoxed my parents; fortunately, tea drinkers). Also, their mini bar prices for non-liquor are pretty reasonable, for a minibar, so I like that they do their best to make it easy to stay hunkered down in your room if you want to just chill out.
Dinner in the Bistro was very good and the staff excellent and attentive. We had a separate set menu as part of our DBB deal and were impressed with the selection. Also, wine selection was excellent but watch out - prices seem reasonable but they add a service charge to everything.
Drinks in the bar were also quite expensive, we thought though again, service in the bar was very attentive.
When we checked out the bill was wrong (relating to the wine charges from the restaurant) and it took us some time to figure it out. The people next to us also had some issues with theirs so I think it's worth checking carefully - all those 'service charges' too. Bit cheeky.
I'm glad I've finally stayed here as I've always wanted to. It was great to be in the heart of Brighton and it was a great overnight break. I am a massive fan of Brighton anyway, so staying here and being able to walk out in the morning around the lanes, etc was lovely. BTW, the breakfast definitely deserves a mention. I thought it was fantastic - the not-hot offer was a great spread with fresh juices, baked goods, great cereal options, lots of fresh fruit. And the hot options are v reasonably priced. If I lived nearby I'd be back again just for breakfast!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are in the courtyard on the first floor! So cute! I didn't like the location of o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank S_G.UK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just had a fantastic weekend in the SMWS Suite at Hotel du Vin, Brighton. The suite was just gorgeous - huge with twin roll-top baths and a sea view. The hotel itself is gorgeous, gothic architecture everywhere and a superb location for The Lanes and the Sea/Pier. The cocktails were lush and the breakfasts were to die for. Don't miss their home-made granola! The staff were super, very friendly and attentive, couldn't do enough for us. It was a little noisy outside in the street late at night, but not enough to bother us too much. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This review is slightly late, however we did learn that the HdV chain may not be accepting dogs, however that rule was overturned and I feel great submitting this review and recommending this hotel.

The hotel is in Brighton so has limited parking, its Brighton and its a city centre. We always park in the council operated car park round the corner as its the most secure and the cheapest.

The hotel is quirky in style, with a large bar, a nice lounge, and a lovely courtyard. Its well done, and the rooms don't disappoint. Some maybe on the smaller side, however are still perfect;y adequate. If you are a light sleeper or aren;t planning a night on the town, I'd alway recommend asking for a quiet (or non street facing room). That said the security to a good job keeping the noise that they can control to a minimum.

The thing that really sets this hotel apart from others in the same range in this staff. Simon runs an amazing team, all the team are very friendly and outgoing and above all else really want to try and make the stay great!

Yakuri and Lucy, James and the rest of the front house team go out of their way to help me and my mum.

The bistro staff are great and sometimes you see the same faces throughout the day, breakfast lunch and dinner they are always more than happy to help you select some great food and of course some amazing wine!

The bar has a great cocktail list, and the pub next door is a real gem for a more relaxed meal or drink.

We stayed most recently over Christmas, and while we always love Christmas at home this was a real treat. Simon the GM was on hand to wish everyone Merry Christmas and say hello. The service was excellent and the food was great.

It offer great value for money and I will return often!

We look forward to returning in March.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel and always go for a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BenAhmed
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A lovely weekend stay - quiet, lovely bar, spacious rooms and very central. Parking all sorted out - a must when in Brighton! Have a look, we like boutique hotels and this fitted the bill. Check in was a little slow but probably because we arrived early!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed as part of package ( room at £45 as long as bistro spend more than £75) good range of equipment including Nespresso coffee machine plus wide range of teas. Comfortable bed and well lit room. Sound proofing may be a be problem as sounds carried from nearby crying baby but it not prevent a sound nights sleep. Very convenient for the sea and the Lanes

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redbournite
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Visiting brighton on business and had a meal here. In a small room in the cellars excellent venue. Wonderful waitress. The food was excellent and the wines very good. All the party enjoyed theselves. I will be back but this time for pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A few weekends back we stayed at Hotel Du Vin, Brighton, to give ourselves a little break out of the smoke, and we are so very glad we did, and even more chuffed we chose to do it here. The rooms are superb, and the bed is extremely comfy, and therefore hard to get out of! The bar is quality, with amazing cocktails, and is plenty good enough for a night out of it's own, but if you're after something more earthy the Pub Du Vin adjoined is excellent too. We ate in the restaurant on one of the nights, and I have to say the food is brilliant, and the wine, which you would expect, of the highest quality. We are getting married in Bordeaux this summer so challenged the sommelier to find us something nice from the area, and he did not fail to disappoint. The staff are very knowledgeable and friendly, especially in their own specialist areas from the waitors; to the sommeliers; to the mixologist; to the chap who made a mean cappuccino. All in all, a wonderful stay and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple