“'Premium hotel' that doesn't quite pull off the 'premium' description.”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Impressed to book online and receive an e mail from the hotel directly quoting our booking and confirming everything. Very reassuring.
We have stayed in a number if premium hotels and this isn't quite it - though it tries to be......
We ate in the first night......over priced, average food.
The prawn cocktail promised much and didn't deliver. I didn't eat it myself but my friend assured me it was frozen prawns and that the word 'shrimp' would be a better name for what she ate. Her main course also disappointed her. Purple potato????? Why????? Ugly and tasteless! I shared a chateaubriand speak with my husband. We have had MUCH better - including ones I have cooked at home! We were sad to be disappointed. The 'piece de resistance' though was when the waiter came to clear the table. He cleared everyone at the table and then came to clear my plate. I WAS STILL EATING AND HAD BEEN EATING THROUGHOUT HIS CLEARING. I HAD TO STOP HIM TAKING AWAY MY PLATE AND TELL HIM HOW RUDE I THOUGHT IT WAS TO CLEAR WHILE SOMEONE WAS STILL EATING AT THE TABLE!!!!!!!!
Breakfast was ok. The granola is GORGEOUS but service very slow. We had to ask 4 times to order and in the meantime were brought toast, then tea and then two full English breakfasts - none of which we had ordered.
The second night we aye elsewhere.
Breakfast the second day was much quicker and more accurate.
Room was nice. Terrace good.
We would try it again if it were cheaper..............

Room Tip: Ask for a terrace. Lovely to sit outside with wine. There is no sea view but after the bustle of th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotelierhimself, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Southden,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Du Vin Brighton, we are sorry that the hotel didnt quite live up to expectations on this visit but we can assure you we have taken your comments on board and will use them constructively to improve our offering.

Kind Regards

Simon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My hubbie and I have just had a 3 day break to Hotel du vin, Brighton.
The hotel was beautiful and in a great position. i cannot believe how helpful, friendly, professional and fantastic ALL the staff were. We had a complimentary glass of champagne for David's birthday and had to change rooms due to my claustrophobia. I think it was Simon who had to deal with me having a panic attack at reception - bless him. He was so patient and kind.
We look forward to visiting you all again in the very near future.
Keep up the good work
Love from
Samantha and David White Oswaldtwistle Lancashire.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for one night and chose the upgrade option at check-in. This was available and we had the only room (as far as I can tell) of the sea which is fantastic with twin tubs and a telescope to check-out.... the sea.

We ate in the restaurant - a good meal - tad expensive though but it was late and not a lot of time to go venturing...

Service variable, but generally good (reception check-in v.good)

Great location and beats the chain hotels on the front any-day. Parking in the Lanes car-park or out front if you are incredibly lucky but only until 9am.

Advice: if you have chosen the upgrade-on-check-in, did you get it - we did, but were not told as we should have been? You might think you've got lucky, until payment...

1  Thank Mr_Avios
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We chose the Hotel Du Vin for our special weekend in Brighton because we had visited the cocktail bar on a previous visit and liked it so much we thought we'd like to sample what the hotel had to offer. We knew from the start that we wouldn't have a sea view (which we always usually insist on when staying anywhere) but our instinct told us it would be worth it, and it was. Our (superior) room was a little on the small side, with a very aggressive bed-leg which kept leaping out and banging my shin (!) but the rest of the room was good. An impressive collection of tea & tea-making facilities, with fresh milk in the minibar. The room also boasted an espresso coffee maker, complete with coffee supplies. Very nice. The bathroom was good and we had a huge shower, although I do wish modern designers would remember that a grab rail is vital for any shower - at least it is in my book. We had a sweet little outside terrace with table and chairs, although I hope the potted trees which are supposed to separate and shield the occupants from adjoining occupants, grow quickly so that they can do a better job. Again, aesthetically they are great but practically? . . . not so good. The view from the terrace was not great either, but we knew we wouldn't have a view, so can't complain about that. Another time I would book the sea view suite, although I do know that Brighton sea front gets very noisy on a Saturday night with all the hen parties and stag parties out for a good time.

Having said all that, any minor gripes about modern design versus practical application are knocked into a cocked hat by the absolutely astonishing good service we received. Every staff member we encountered was helpful beyond measure and anticipated our every need and requirement. Honestly, I can't remember every being so bowled over by the level of customer car which we received and actually turned our experience from "good" to "fabulous". The food was also excellent and the Sunday brunch is to die for.

Room Tip: Choose superior or a suite -
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in the Hotel du Vin in March for my partners birthday. I booked the deal on the Sunday which allowed us to pay £25 for the room if we spent £75 minimum at dinner, which is definitely worth it!

Upon arrival, we found out our room had been upgraded which made the stay even more special. The location of the hotel is unbeatable and you can get anywhere you would like, extremely quickly.

The cleanliness of the room was great and the open bath was definitely one of my favourite parts.

The food was exceptional for quality but not so much for price. I wouldn't have paid the prices they asked for if I had stayed outside of the deal. Albeit, the food was great.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A rather beautiful building very near to the seafront, great design touches , and a wonderfull terrace to enjoy some al fresco refreshments, but beware!!! Our particular room was right next to some rather noisy machinery which meant that we could not sleep. Great shame as the room and bathroom were very comfortable and spacious. Also some rather aggressive security guards park up in the evenings, Im sure to keep guests safe in a somewhat 'boisterous' city, but they need to be more low key as they were not really a great 'front of House' attraction. A nights stay somewhat spoiled by these points, but some great customer service afterwards will not put us off coming again, if we could have a room away from the machinery that is!!!!

Room Tip: get a room in the main building if possible.....
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Hotel du Vin in Brighton is my new favourite hotel in Brighton.
Great location in Ship Street, close to beach, lots of great shops, all the bars & restaurants & nightclubs. The Lanes are just minutes away.
The hotel du Vin is full of character - from the outside it looks very olde worlds & gothic, although in fact it's not. We arrived early & our room was ready. I had requested an online upgrade but the Hotel was fully booked so we were just as happy with our Standard room overlooking the courtyard. The hotel & bar & courtyard were buzzing. The bar is unusual & full of character. Drinks are reasonably priced. The bistro menu looked good - we didn't eat here though as we had a restaurant booked (will do next time).
The room had a big comfy bed, big bathroom & overheard rainforest shower. iPod player, mini bar, iron, tea & coffee, hair dryer, safe, nespresso machine... It had everything - oh & free wifi.
No parking but there is parking in the Lanes carpark 2 minutes away.
I loved the character & the atmosphere in the hotel.
Will definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple