“Disappointed. Be wary if you are disabled!”
Review of Malmaison Brighton

Malmaison Brighton
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Sheffield
“Disappointed. Be wary if you are disabled!”
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My husband, who gets around in a wheelchair, and I stayed for 2 nights.
Firstly, I have to endorse the most frequently-made complaints about this hotel ( rooms are HOT, noisy, have sparse toiletries, one-dressing gown between two guests, and a steamy kettle amongst your clothes.)
As a wheelchair user though, you might run into greater inconveniences: (and you will get no warning beforehand from staff, as their disability awareness, like their social skills in general, are NOT great!)
The bumpy wooden decking between the car park and hotel - (quite a distance) wont suit everyone. We werent warned that due to refurbishment, there was no internal access between the hotel and cafe, so back down the lift - and outside onto that decking again! Followed by a steep push up the ramp into the cafe!
Rooms claiming to offer wheelchair access are of course, rare - so you may have to accept the Asda view, and the fact that the room is poky, as a bigger proportion has been given over to the bathroom. The toilet has a nice range of grab rails around it, but no accessible shower: so be warned, you need to be able to stand up and hop over the side of the bath (grab rail provided) if you want to remain clean. Not possible for my husband, but may be ok for others ...The sink isnt designed to get a wheelchair up close, so you might have to spit from some distance when cleaning your teeth!!
It stands to reason that if you are disabled, your husband/partner/wife wont want to share your bed!! So thats ok that no double beds provided!? (Actually, to be fair, they did push our twin beds together when I said we DID in fact want to sleep together! Not quite the same though, is it, no-one likes that gap in the middle!)
We did also find it quite difficult to converse with staff, who were mostly very young, and slightly startled - though beautiful to look at!
On the positive side, the food was GREAT, the decoration lovely, and the position on the marina hard to beat.

• Liked — Lovely bar (B&W), calm, spacious decor - great food
  • Disliked — Felt like a second-class guest as a wheelchair user - paid the same as everyone else though!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank KathySheffield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
West Essex
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I cannot make my mind up with this hotel. It potentailly could deliver so much but somehow did not live up to its potential. We booked directly with the hotel and got a much better rate on a sea view room than the best Internet Deal with a £40 pound voucher for the restaurant.

Arrival and check in was good but the car park is a short walk away from the hotel and we got wet as it was raining hard. The room was spacious and open and with minimal furniture. Beds were good. My doubts startes when we heard the sound of construction work . The restauarant is being up dated and is promised to be finished by the end of July. Until it is don't expect a lay in as the work started at 7.30 am durring the week.

On close inspection the balcony outside had the remains of someones old takeway on it. It was never cleared during our stay. Our room opened up straight onto the harbour and if you like people watching would be great. Not so great though if it is hot and you want a quite night ,as the marina is very lively to early in the morning. The lounge area was superb and the service fautless. The restaurant had a limited menu but the food was cooked well and the service fautless.

One tip is ask for a non interconnecting room as the soundproofing in these rooms is not very good. Allright if you have considerate neighbours which we did not.

At the rate we paid it was not bad but I would have expected more if I had paid top price.

• Liked — Modern decor and furniture
  • Disliked — The Micro television
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I have just returned from an overnight stay in the Alias Seattle Hotel. My boyfriend found the hotel through lastminute.com at a very reasonable price which included a full breakfast in the lovely Cafe Paradiso. We were allocated a room with a view of the Marina which was really pretty. I really liked the quirky outlay and decor of both the hotel and the room. My only one slight issue was the heat of the room and there was only one small fan for air conditioning which didn't really suffice. However other than that I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return again. The hotel is in a great location and there is a great choice of restaurants surrounding the hotel.

• Liked — The lovely views of the marina and proximity to amenities
  • Disliked — The lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Cumbria
Reviewed 8 May 2008

The hotel is right on the marina with many restaurants and bars surrounding it.

The interior is very modern and contempory. Our room was very clean and very comfortable with an excellent power shower.

Parking is free but across the marina in a multi storey.

Breakfast was good and included in the very reasonable price. The staff were very helpful.

We were only there one night but I would use this hotel again.

• Liked — Handy bars and restaurants
  • Disliked — parking away from hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Godalming, Surrey
Reviewed 23 April 2008

OK - I admit it, I'm a sentimental mug.

Back in May 2003 when the Seattle had only been open a few months, I took my fiance to this hotel for a surprise weekend break and proposed to her. She said 'yes' and since then we've returned every year and even spent part of our honeymoon here. However, this year for the first time we're not going to go. In fact we don't intend to go back again.

First visit, we put the dodgy service, tiny TVs, broken toilet seats etc down to teething problems. The following years we've probably been too blinded by romance and nostalgia to notice the disinterested staff, the threadbare towels, the filthy windows, the noisy nightclub, the roasting hot rooms (in May!!!) etc. However, now enough is enough - especially when I realised I was beginning to dread our annual visit rather than excitedly anticipate it.

This hotel seems to have absolutely no concept of customer service (a couple of exceptions which I'll come to in a moment) and is making no commitment whatsoever to improvements. I'm fed up of fighting with the tiny TV set remote control and wishing I'd packed need binoculars to watch it. The rooms aren't cheap so why do I have to put up with stains on the carpet, walls and windows. I appreciate that this is a seaside hotel but the windows are always filthy.

Another thing which gets on my nerves is the room assignment - you can pay for a King Room with marina view but it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a dark room with a pokey half balcony or a light room with a double balcony. Even when I've been assured that we've been assigned one of the double balcony rooms we've checked in and found ourself in one of the dingy, half balcony rooms.

Cafe Paradiso (attached to hotel) is excellent for an evening meal but the breakfast is badly cooked and my wife scolded herself with a cafetiere which had the wrong sized plunger inserted. No apologies from the staff of course - too busy posing.

Service exceptions - the Black and White bar manager (Simeon?) who made a real effort to look after us last year and mixed some astonishing cocktails. Also one of the Cafe Paradiso staff who actually remembered us from a previous year and made a real effort to look after my wife (who's a vegan).

For sentimental reasons I'll keep checking on Trip Advisor to see if things are improving because one day I'd love to return. It has a fantastic location and with an intelligent management team, some minor modifications and some well trained service personnel if could be amazing.

• Liked — Views of the marina
  • Disliked — Comfort, facilities, cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Having read several reviews on this hotel I was prepared for it. We did everything right, booked well in advance, made sure we had a balcony room overlooking the harbour, but it still did not prepare me for one of the strangest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in !! On a plus side , the room and bathroom were of a good size, and spotlessly clean, with large fluffy towels, and one bathrobe, presumably we shared it!!!!
I really did not like the open plan bedroom with no cupboard space at all, just a rail set over the tea and coffee making facilities, great if you want to get creases out of your clothes , because the steam from the kettle would be directly below, not great planning!!!! You also need very good eyesight to see the miniscule, dated T.V..!!! One would have expected a flatscreen on the wall to fit in with clean lines of the room, but this model was awful. There was no minibar, again in a hotel of this calibre one would have expected one as standard.
The bed was large, and on the whole ,comfortable with ample pillows.
We had breakfast included in our price, and again this was not great. We were late down [10am on a Sunday] and had to wait some time for it to arrive, my husband left most of his full breakfast as it was overcooked , I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was ok , but not great..
Overall, this is an OK hotel, very overpriced, and I would not put it at the top of my list of places to stay in Brighton

Stayed April 2008
Brighton
Reviewed 5 March 2008

We had our wedding reception at the Seattle in October 2007 - a smallish family affair for 24 people who's ages ranged from 3 weeks to 76 years old.
I cannot recommend the Seattle highly enough. Everything was fantastic! From the staff ,discreetly on hand with wonderful canapes at the beginning of our reception, to the beautifully presented delicious 5 course meal which followed.
We had fantastic weather considering it was October and the balconies gave a great 'outside feel'.
For our wedding night we had a great king sized room overlooking the boats in the Marina. Even though we had drunk vasts amounts of alcohol we were still able to appreciate the lovely toiletries in the bathroom and the double sink!
After a delicious breakfast in the Paradiso restaurant the following morning we 'sunbathed' on the balcony before checking out.
If you want a hotel and a reception with a difference then choose the Brighton Seattle Hotel and enjoy it all!!

• Stayed October 2007