“Nice hotel, once we'd found it!”
Review of Malmaison Brighton

Malmaison Brighton
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at Hotel Seattle after a family funeral, so we were never going to have a whale of a time as it were.

We arrived late in the evening (after dark) and just couldn't find the actual entrance to the hotel - poor signposting or tiredness, not sure which.

Staff were friendly, polite and efficient and the room was clean and well enough appointed - hi spec iPod dock was a nice touch. Being able to hear the TV in the next room wasn't so good - had trouble getting to sleep.

Breakfast was included but we only had time for a continental breakfast - was only offered "tea or coffee" so wasn't too pleased when I overheard another guest order and receive a cappuccino.

Bottom line - if we'd paid full price I'd have been a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Views over the marina are not worth the extra if it's pouring with rain!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dr_Paul_UK
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Brighton

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to Brighton on the weekend that happened to be the warmest so far this year. We were relieved to find Seattle had a room available. One of the few modern Hotels in Brighton, it was lovely. Clean, bright and airy. The reception staff were extra helpfully and friendly. We ate at the Hotel the first night, and was not disappointed either. Good food at a reasonable price, great service there too. Highly recommend Seattle!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Staff very good... Room very clean.. But would NOT recommend this hotel in warm weather.. The fan provided really didn't cut it. Myself and my partner baked in the room and got little sleep before embarking on a 6 hour drive the next day.. I didn't check beforehand if the hotel had air con, I just assumed a 4 star hotel would, so lesson learned. Also the bed was very uncomfortable, like there was a line of springs poking through. I ended up lying on the floor, it was cooler and more comfortable there.

On the plus side I did enjoy the breakfast. I've only ever seen eggs Benedict in 5 star hotels before,, but it was on Seattle's menu

May be a good option during the winter months, but I'd avoid otherwise.

Room Tip: Marina views sound good, but there's a lot of noisy restaurant activity directly below.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the spur of moment and opted for the higher price for Marina view room.
Good thing we didnt have luggage as no wardrobe just a couple of hangers on an open rail.
No air conditioning was a shock in a 4 star, I know its England but a radiator was not what was expected with the window as the cooling option.
We stayed in room 107 on the first floor that comes with a shared balcony, no problem and a lovely view.
The bed wasn't comfortable and the room was quite small. Bathroom had shower option over bath, which seemed very outdated.
Breakfast came like the cavalry to redeem the venue, could not fault it all.
The hotel is clean, very bright and modern inside with spacious lounge and bar area.
For the cost of the room, £180.00, we expected more form the inside and would have thought £80.00 more the correct value, seriously.
Located at the Marina end of Brighton with adjacent free parking and plenty of eateries it has a lot going for it but value per room isn't one of them.

Room Tip: Go for the Marina view rooms for a lovely outlook.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I planned a last minute trip for my husband and myself to Brighton for a long weekend. Seattle Hotel was the highest rated with rooms available.

It is situated in a great location at the Marina surrounded by tons of restaurants, stores, a grocery store, movie theatre, casino, bowling alley, etc. About 1.5 miles from the pier, the bus right outside the door. I would definitely stay in this area again, not so sure at the Seattle Hotel.

Easy check in, the hotel is bright and airy and clean. We had a double room overlooking inland. It was small…even by European standards. No AC, I booked because i thought there was. You can open the window and there was a fan. No closet, hangers hanging from a rack next to the TV. 2 drawers, no fridge. Tea set, but no ice. Bathroom small. However, it was clean, all white sheets and huge comfy towels.

Bed was like an ikea frame, no box spring. I slept well, but it might have been the miles I walked.

We had breakfast included. Continental, and then order something hot. Good fruit, nice and ripe, cereals, croissants, you can ask for cheese and meats. They had 4 or 5 choices for hot breakfast items. Hubby did the full english every day, fair to middling. I did Eggs Florentine. First Day, eggs were a bit hard, spinach not drained. 2nd day I asked for runny eggs, my favorite part and they were perfect. Last day was a Sunday and they were swamped, eggs hard, white sauce congealed. And we didn't get a nice table overlooking the harbor, so just packed it in.

Overall, not a bad place for 3 nights. Just someplace I would never visit again, on visit to the beach. For £500 I can rent an apartment at the marina for a week and take my kids as well.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a marina view room with a balcony.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Not only did I experience the most uncomfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, but an issue regarding a double charge and a refusal to refund, means I cannot recommend this hotel. A high charge for a room in a low rent area, complete with dubious and insecure car parking.
Don't arrive with clothes that need to be hung, as 2 external hangers is all you will get.
Once in the bathroom, don't stand too close to the sink, as your partner will bang into you on opening of the door. The whole concept of this hotel doesn't make sense: Sandwiched between a large supermarket and a pizzeria and with ideas above it's station. Plastic floorboards say it all. Candy Floss masquerading as caviar. I won't be fooled again.
The only saving grace was the breakfast and helpful staff. They do try and the service is reasonable, but be prepared for the noise and the boardwalk tourists, Brighton Marina is an artificial construct constrained by a lack of space and land, so don't come here if you are searching for an elegant yachting vision. You won't get that, but rather an invite to join a boat trip in a rusty tub!

Room Tip: Don't bother...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel isn't cheap but when you pay extra for a king size room you expect to get one. I was shown into a room looking exactly like the standard double and was only moved into a proper King size room when I complained and showed then their website pictures.
Hotel is in a great location with easy & free parking and food quality is good.
Not the receptionist's fault but they should really deliver what you pay for and not try and push you into a smaller room. See my photos and spot the difference, let alone a balcony that's twice the size of standard.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business