“Great hotel for families”
Review of Malmaison Brighton

Malmaison Brighton
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Coventry
“Great hotel for families”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel, and it is by far the best that we have stayed in for accomodating our young daughter. The location in the marina is great; there's lots going on the doorstep, and it doesn't take long to get in to the main attractions of Brighton.

The room we had was big, well decorated and with a comfy bed. Even with the cot added into the room there was lots of space. The listening monitor that you could hire (deposit required) was easy to setup and meant we could eat in the hotel's restaurant without concern.

The food in the hotel was very good and every member of staff was friendly and went out of their way to help. The breakfast staff even went out to get bananas for us after we mentioned how much our daughter liked them.

Would gladly come back and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here on business and don't really know what to make of the place! I write this review in the context of having paid £150 for a double room with marina view.

Brighton Marina isn't the easiest of places to navigate, the signage is small and the entrance to the hotel is between Subway and an empty unit, but I had been advised to look out for Subway and found the hotel without problem. I parked in the 20 minutes unloading bay and checked in. Reception is on the third floor, and is workstations on a long glass bench, modern in keeping with the rest of the hotel.
Having dumped my luggage I then had to move the car, I think you can get in the car park at the side (by McDonalds) but this wasn't obvious so I ended up driving in a loop and coming back the way I originally entered the marina. A colleague ended up making a much bigger detour so it might be worth just checking where to go before you set off! There were plenty of spaces in the car park and a walkway from level 6 takes you to the restaurants and other entrance to the hotel. It's not exactly a problem, but is is time consuming and a bit inconvenient.
At the time I arrived there was a very strong smell of garlic and pizza which I assumed was coming from Pizza Express next to the hotel.
You can walk from the hotel into Brighton which takes about half an hour. Once again the route isn't especially obvious to start with, and it is ok but I certainly wouldn't describe it as scenic! (Think concrete, weeds, unkempt...) However it does save any hassle parking and the associated costs.
The room was exactly as the website shows, modern in a basic way. There are blackout blinds and a voile curtain, but light seeps around the blinds so at this time of the year the room is light very early. It would be easy to have a blackout lining behind the voile curtain. For £150 dark is good!
The marina view was spoilt a bit by the work in the marina, not the hotel's fault, ordinarily perhaps a 'nice' view, but Torquay or Brixham marina it isn't!
The main issue is that the hotel rooms are over the various restaurants in the marina, so if you have the window or door open you get the smells of cooking and smoking as well as the noise from diners. I can imagine on a summers day this might be a problem. Fortunately my room had air con so I shut the windows and used that.
Breakfast was served on the terrace and I did find this a pleasant experience. The service was good and the food cooked to order was good quality. From my experience I don't really think anyone could complain about selection or quality of the food.

Overall I can find reasons to like and dislike this hotel. Check your facts before you book, understand the challenges and decide if they will bother you. I wouldn't want to put people off booking, but for £150, no leisure facilities and inadequate curtains I don't think it would be my first choice in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed one night last week here, we booked a double marina view room but were upgraded to a king marina view room which was much appreciated. Room 202 had a private balcony on 3 rd floor, lovely views, big room with big windows to look at the view. No complaints re: decoration of room or furniture although we were only one night ..... Staff very friendly, we did eat at the restaurant and it was nice food and not overpriced (I suppose they do have to compete with all the restaurants around, such as Pizza Express, Nandos, Frankie & Bennys etc. We didn't experience much noise from the restaurants although there was noise coming from the works being done in the marina area which I would think are ongoing for some time yet but not troublesome and doesn't go through the nice. The hotel does not have its own car park but you part in the multi storey which is free when you provide the reception with your car reg. Park on level 6 as the boardwalk takes you to the level entrance of the hotel otherwise you will find yourself going up and down stairs etc.

Room Tip: room 202, 3rd floor, king sized marina view, private balcony and great views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bedford
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I liked the Seattle Hotel, the room was big and the decor stylish and different from so many hotel chains. The room opened up onto a terrace with a view of Brighton Marina. The marina is a quick bus ride into Brighton, and the free parking at the marina car park saves you pulling your hair out looking for a space in town.

The cooked breakfast was good, thick bacon, quality sausage, egg poached to perfection etc. Ideal place to stay in Brighton in my opinion.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Durban South Africa
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed three nights, one would have been too many. Parking was a very big problem there is no on site parking only 20 mins to unload luggage, parking is in a free Multi Story Car Park next door and I was told to park on the 6th floor which had no free spaces I drove around for quite a long time until I finally found a space on another floor, it turns out you can park anywhere you can.
Brighton Marina is hard to find and get into, it's a +20 min bus ride into Brighton, I wasn't moving my car until I was leaving. Lot of the shops in the Marina are closed down so not much shopping.
The building work was not finished as stated by the end of April, my visit was end of May, so the view was not very nice and with door to the balcony open you get cooking smells from the Restaurants that the Hotel is built over. Staff tried to be helpful but they had heard it all before.
Breakfast not very good, toast comes as you sit down and it's cold, I don't know how long the coffee was stewing for but it had no resemblance or smell to coffee. If this place is 14th out of whatever goodness knows what the others are like.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We booked an afternoon tea as a retirement 'do' at the Seattle as it was close to our place of work and we were all very impressed by the quality, quantity and value of the tea. Firstly there is no problem with parking as it is free in Brighton Marina, the tea consisted of sandwiches, 2 large scones with jam and clotted cream, strawberry tarts and choux buns - we were all stuffed! We would definitely recommend it and in fact already have.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We met up with friends at Brighton marina and stayed at the Seattle Hotel. Good views of the marina from the hotel bar and restaurant but only look to the left, the nicer part, as the right side is a bit ugly. Our room was at the back, described as 'inland facing'. Not much hanging space for clothes as only 3 hangers. Also, no biscuits in room, did not pick this up until checked web site. Room, clean and tidy, but en-suite had too much lighting. Had drinks in the bar in the evening, but could only get one 'Bailey's' as they had then 'run out'. So asked for 'Tia Maria', but they only had half a unit, and no additional bottle. A bit poor for a 4-star hotel. Good sleep, even with window open, but strange noise from roof (on 3rd floor) maybe seagulls walking across roof.

Good breakfast (continental style), with view of the marina from table. At check out staff said we owed £25 from bar, booked to our room. Explained that we paid at bar and had not signed anything. Staff very good, checked signature on bar ticket against our signatures and agreed not our drinks and apologised.

Room Tip: Marina views seem to be booked up quickly, so book well in advance if you want one.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple