“Great Stay”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #55 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Fantastic value for money! The hotel is very clean and the staff very friendly - our room had a four poster bed and the bathroom was spotless! They had thought of everything and the little touches made a real difference - will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 9 is quiet at the top of the building!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hudsons Guest House

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I swapped by booking to nearer the town centre and was impressed by the check in help from the hotel who sorted out a problem I had caused by booking the wrong day!!

Check in was easy and I was met by a very pleasant young lady who explained all the information. The room was on the top floor and was a compact double which was excellent for one person. The shower room as fine, albeit a bit small and the handbasin is not good for a wet shave! The room was well laid out and although I didnt use it there was a full mini bar and plenty of water.

Breakfast was well cooked and presented in a nice room which if it was full would be a bit cramped but otherwise very good.

The hotel was very clean, bed very comfortable and the sheets and towels very good quality.

I would definitely stay again. This hotel is well located in the centre close to all amenities and the seafront, pier and the Lanes.

A very good choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My partner and I arrived looking forward to a good weekend's R&R from busy jobs as a Doctor and Psychologist in London. We checked in and found the accommodation did not live up to the claims made on the website nor did the location, which was at the end of a very dirty, run down, litter strewn street full of homeless people begging for money and or drunk.

Shortly after our arrival and a shower, my partner answered a startling beating on our door to find one of the propriotors, who introduced himself as Stephen, in the corridor.

He was angry, to put it mildly, with my partner because he said he'd seen him standing in the room in his underpants from the street. We had not considered this possible due to the heavy net curtain in the window but apologised, explaining we were not aware it was possible to be seen. He refused to accept our apology and continued to shout at us and verbally abuse us with obscene language and profanities that was shocking. A short time afterwards he returned and told us he had a good mind to throw us out and said he suspected we were also smoking in the room, which we were not.

He would not listen to anything we tried to say. We felt that regardless of anything, this. behaviour was unacceptable and absolutely inappropriate under any circumstances and in any situation, especially in a hotel and from one of its propriotors. We decided to leave but found it impossible to find alternative accommodation in Brighton for that night and reluctantly had no choice but to stay the night.

The hotel and it's rooms were small. In addition to what we had already experienced we found the facilities poor and standards even poorer. Our room needed to be cleaned, the linen was not fresh nor were the towels in the bathroom, which smelled sour. The en-suite was tiny and the toilet had evidence of use by a previous guest. The only thing positive we feel we can say is the staff member who checked us in was polite.

We appreciate the negativity of this review, however, it is a true and accurate one based on our terrible experience.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Southwaleswill
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here 16th & 17th May. Room 6 on 2nd floor is small but has all facilities & we were comfortable. Good retro type decor and very clean shower area etc.
Breakfast was brilliant & lots of choice - even pancakes & chocolate!

Slight negative - fire escape could be difficult if a fire started in stairwell - however there are extinguishers everywhere and alarm points. I felt safe but my wife was a little concerned.

Voucher Parking £8.50 for 24 hours is a very good deal and found spaces easily. Walking into
the city takes @ 15minutes at a stroll or a bus pass is £4.40 for whole day.

Service could not be faulted & we will stay again when in Brighton.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 21goingon90
Reviewed 11 May 2012

WE stayed 2 night at the Hudson after a transatlantic cruise from FT Lauderdale to Southampton. It was sort of a last minute decision as I had never been to Brighton. What an amazing city and what a perfect little B&B. WE were greated by the owner and since we were early ask to keep our luggage in the breakfast room while we walked the boardwalk. When we returned we were pleased to see that they had placed our luggage in our room. The staircase is very narrow and we had a fair amount of luggage due to the cruise. The owner was very friendly and showed us to our room which was The Hudson Suite. It was on the lower level with direct acess to the tiny little garden in the back. The room was huge with a king bed and a full sized sofa. The bath very large with a dressing table and a very large shower. They had a stocked fridge which we put our wine in and took their offerings out. That was OK with them. I must admit that the weather was a bit cold and windy but that did not alter our good time. The Royal Pavilion is a must see as is the Brighton pier.

My only regret is that we could not stay longer. I deffinatly hope to return as I could easily stay a week. Hudson's is wonderfully located just a few blocks from everything. No need for a cab once you make it to the hotel

Robert

Room Tip: I can only speak for the Hudson suite but it's king bed was a glorious find at such a reasonable...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Nice hotel, clean and friendly staff but breakfast let them down. Just not much plus if you ask for more of anything you are made to feel you shouldn't. We asked for extra toast and got one piece between two! What was wrong with another 3 pieces. I'd paid enough to stay there.
It is nice overall but just felt a bit cheeky asking for things at times.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband & I struggled to find a Brighton B&B where we could stay for just one night, but luckily one place I phoned recommended Hudsons, which proved to be perfect for our purposes. We found it easily & were able to park just at the bottom of the road. We were given a friendly welcome & shown our room (4), which was one of the compact doubles indicated on the website. It was indeed compact but well thought out & decorated, immaculate, & absolutely fine for a short stay, though maybe I wouldn't want to spend a whole week staying in it! It wasn't the least bit noisy overnight which was a relief, the bed was comfy & breakfast was pretty good ( I had boiled eggs & soldiers- nice touch!)

So Hudsons was ideal for us, excellent value for money, & we'd definitely stay there again & recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple