“The owner of this place should retire...”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #63 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The owner of this place should retire...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here recently with my partner and will never be going back. This is a decent place, nice room, good location and could be as previously stated, a real gem if it weren't for the appalling attitude of the owner who blatantly has no interest in running the business any longer. As written before in another review, the sarcastic attitude of the owner leaves more than a lot to be desired. Having been caught in the recent storms and a little late for our arrival (half an hour?) due to train delays, my partner was subjected to sarcasm and hostility on the phone whilst trying to explain the circumstances of our journey. Upon arrival, the owner seemed disinterested in anything we had to say and didn't even show us to our room whilst he stood there with his coat on, looking surly and almost desperate to get out of the place and us. The room was ok but dim and since it was the suite, I also didn't expect to hear the constant thud of every footstep and creak of almost all the kitchen activity throughout the breakfast service above my bed the next morning; resting or enjoying a little longer in bed the next day was an impossibility. Breakfast is also served only for a measly hour and fifteen minutes between 8am and 9:15? Again, this "lets get it over with" attitude and the fact that they have changed to a "continental" breakfast to avoid any effort at breakfast only adds to the impression that the owner (owners) just can't be bothered with the place anymore nor their guests. By far the most offensive thing to occur however, was the following morning when we were literally 20mins late leaving because the shower didn't work properly (a trickle of hot water) and it took forever to wash, the owner came mumbling sarcastic comments again about the check out time, told us we were thoughtless leaving late, stormed around the doorway making further nasty comments and then actually forced myself and my partner to stand in the gales and pouring rain outside the front door whilst waiting for a taxi?! My partner was genuinely upset by this point and I was livid...I vowed at that point that I would never go back nor ever recommend this place again. This used to be a place worth staying, the owners used to care, the service used to be decent (as did the breakfast) but everything here now smacks of owners who simply cannot be bothered with neither the guest house nor the guests. If you like sarcasm, haughty and rude behaviour and enjoy being treated with utter disdain, then this place is perfect. In my opinion, as one of those people who would prefer to be treated with a little dignity and respect, I would recommend that anyone thinking of staying in Brighton would have a better time at a travelodge...and that really is saying something.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ultra101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Lovely location, nice rooms, friendly.
We have stayed maybe 6 times, and enjoyedit each time. The house is clean, modern and well equipped. We have always enjoyed the breakfast, but not this time. They have changed to 'continental', a couple of croissants or cereal. No deli meats, cheese or yogurt. Not really what we expected. A real shame as it is such a nice place. I will go back, but with a snack pack.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank windyo360
Woking
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Quick review on this one, we stayed one night, first weekend of 2014 - Saturday. First impressions - good, friendly owner, explained a bit about the hotel, sorted the car parking easily enough, nice location, no complaints.

Bedroom - excellent. We had the 4-poster room, number 5, really lovely...could even see the sea if you turned sideways! Mini bar was good, bed was fine, nice little touches and artworks to give the room an individual feel. one of the best rooms I've stayed in in Brighton.

The only reason I'm knocking a point off this place is that the breakfast was rubbish. Maybe it's just me but I was really expecting a cooked breakfast...or at least have a choice. The option of literally a pancake or a croissant just was not enough for me. Lovely little breakfast room, but I was disappointed and had to stop on the way home to have a proper feed! in my opinion, don't bother paying extra to have breakfast included and buy yourself something from one of the many cafe's nearby.

Otherwise a lovely little place.

Room Tip: Room 5 was the 4-poster room...the only one I think...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Hi this was a lovely vintage find..large room beautifully designed with great pictures of 60s models ..I loved its quicky comfortable feel and wished Id booked longer and to top it off had a mini bar (almost impossible to find in brightons hotels) very relaxing ...would definately stay again as best ive found so far..owner is quite a character but lovable in a strict kinda way.

• Stayed November 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at Hudsons as our usual choice of hotel in Brighton was fully booked, we weren't sure what to expect but it was lovely.

Centrally located, great service and parking at an extra cost. Breakfast was lovely and there is wifi. The room was a nice size, clean and comfortable. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife liked it-good quality modern decor, good price.
I didn't-feet hung over end of bed (I'm only 5ft9-medium), could hear neighbour singing through the wall (early eve), bathroom door had visible gap on hinge side. Though note this was the loft room, so of course was a bit cramped. These were just minor nuisances. What spoilt it for me was the surly, sarcastic attitude on the phone. I phoned when I could see we wouldn't make the 4pm booking-in time. Owner "How long will you be?"; 'half an hour' I said; "That'll be an hour then" he said in a highly sarcastic tone. God forbid anyone turning up later.
I see a similar comment in October.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank yendordo
east anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed in room 5 ,clean and tidy, nice powerfull hot shower ,wife impressed with the decor and the very comfy four poster bed ,good breakfast, plenty of facitlites in the room and the owner arranged parking permits for us which is pretty helpful in Brighton, The B&B has a good location so we didn't have to walk far at all .We would definitely stay there again...

Room Tip: we liked room 5 as it had the four poster in it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple