“Slightly disappointing”

Ranked #33 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointing”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Smart well decorated rooms, pleasant breakfast and bar area. The problem was no staff after about 11.30 pm and no-one available in the morning to provide any sort of breakfast before we needed to leave at 9am. The feeling was that the hotel was a bit abandoned and relying on part time and temporary staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

After reading great reviews on hotel neo I decided to give it a go. I was sold room 5 for 100 per night, apparently by accident as it should be more and a 2 night min stay. The hotel was easy to find, bar area was lovely, staff member (a young lady) was very welcoming and made a lovely cocktail. I was very dissapointed with room 5 itself. The main reason being the tv, a very dated and incredibly small tv that didnt even receive signal. I have stayed in many 4 star hotels some for a cheaper rate and they have supplied modern, sizable and good quality tvs. The wooden oriental unit the tv was on was very chipped and when we opened the cupboard the door fell off. The windows were unbelievably dusty to the point that opening the window dirtied my hand. Bed was very comfy and decor was nice. Very small but didn't bother us. Great selection of teas and coffees provided in room. Bathroom was the saving grace, lovely shower and bath, all very clean. Breakfast, (pancakes) were divine and we were granted late checkout no problem. I would stay here again if I were out on the razz again and needed somewhere to sleep but when looking for luxury I would give it a miss!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
London, UK
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The best thing about this hotel, is the service and friendly nature of the staff. I found the evening receptionist (with whom I booked the room over the telephone) very helpful as was the manager who went out of his way to make me breakfast before the kitchen had opened as he knew I had an early train to get. I was disappointed with the room however, it was a single room, very small tv which hadn't been tuned, and in need decorating.

The hotel is situated on a road close to the west pier so a little further along than other hotels. Opposite the hotel is a youth hostel and its residents weren't the quietest in the early hours. The hotel describes itself as a boutique hotel, but I found the décor a tad disappointing. The dining room has a large patch on the ceiling where water has been leaking and the wallpaper in the room I had was peeling in a few places. The bathroom was the size of a cupboard, and I did think that it may have been worth the extra for a double room. Having said that the bed was very comfortable as were the pillows, but with very little storage space, the room gets a big thumbs down from me. Would I stay here again, possibly, but definitely not in the single room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Wasn't quite sure if this was a hotel or a B&B, either way though we found our stay at the Neo very pleasant and comfortable.

We turned up at the Neo around 2 1/2 hours before our booking in time with the plan to leave our bags and go into town, however was happily informed that our room was already prepared and was shown straight up.

The hotel room itself met our needs perfectly, it was small but well presented with a huge DVD library at our disposal for those long hours in between our partner getting ready!

The staff were very friendly and provided a generous breakfast in the morning, which was especially pleasing as we was led to believe from our 'lastminute.com' booking that this was not included.

Overall a lovely stay, thank you, our only negative was the cosmetic issues with the DIY around the place... despite using really nice fixtures and fittings there were some obvious short cuts with loose taps and tiles in the bedroom, nothing a decent handy man cant fix though.

Dave and Kate

Room Tip: Parking in Brighton can be a pain, there is a 24 hour private/independent car park on Little Preston...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Lovely B & B centrally situated for seafront and centre. Stayed for two nights in room 3, the only single room. Cosy room, nicely thought out. Was made to feel very welcome and the breakfasts were great. Only downside is its quite noisy at night as party goers in the streets were very loud, but that's par for the course in Brighton, especially at weekends Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Recently stayed at The Neo for the weekend following reviews on Trip Advisor and I will definitely be returning, we arrived Friday afternoon and were shown to the room which was lovely, beautifully decorated albeit not massive but the en-suite was lovely and clean also. We stayed in Room 5, the room isn't massive but there was bottled water and plenty of tea, herbal tea and coffee on offer in the room, the bathroom is definitely the selling feature to this room but the bed was amazingly comfortable. Staff were all friendly and couldn't do enough for us, quirky little bar and I can safely say we will be back! Also a few people have mentioned the parking on previous reviews so before I went I emailed the owner and asked where they recommended and Nik advised me to park one road down at the regency mews parking, we arrived 4pm Fri and left at 4pm Sunday for which cost £25 although we did pre book!

• Stayed November 2013
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

we stayed in Oct 13 - no one around to admit us at noon had to call them to get in, went back at 4 and admitted but still they had no clue on parking rates, web site had no warning that parking would cost us over £20 for the night.
Room was tiny no room to hang clothes or swing a cat, and three floors at the top of very steep narrow staircase, again no warning.
Nice breakfast but found out we were the only people staying in whole hotel, you would think an upgrade to a bigger lower room would not have been too much to ask.
Expensive for basically a B&B guest house.

Room Tip: go low the bigger rooms were on ground floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple