“OK - Would not pay the full rate....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Neo

The Neo
Ranked #34 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
Surrey
“OK - Would not pay the full rate....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

This was a last minute decision, literally that afternoon we thought lets have a night in a hotel in Brighton. looked at the Neo's website which looked great. So firstly we phoned the hotel to see if they could do us a last minute deal and was told they had only two rooms left and they could not budge on their rate.
I had looked on Laterooms.com and found i could get the rooms for half price and the receptionist said well book through them then - so i did.
we were told on the phone we were to be allocated room 6 for which myself and my wife liked from the details and photos on the website.
We arrived and from first glance all appeared good, the receptionist was nice polite and couldn't do more for us then she said that the hotel was practically empty - only two other rooms occupied and she showed us room 6. - why she said on the phone that they were full was bemusing!

Room 6 is nothing like what was described on their website - Different appearance, Tiny with a ensuite shoehorned into an existing bedroom which meant that there was about a foot all around the bed for space. The ensuite had no bath as described, though it was a decent shower room.

Not one of the doors to the room could be shut properly. i work in the construction industry and the hanging of the doors was laughable. The central heating in the room did not work at all but they gave us an electric heater which was fine and heated the room great. Though the bathroom was freezing in the morning!

Breakfast was really good with ample choice and generous servings.

Overall, don't think we would go again and would recommend to others that don't pay the full price - not worth it and have a hunt on the internet.

PS no parking to hotel - NCP 5 minute walkaway which was fine but would worry if it was chucking it down!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EANDT1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

I couldn't fault my stay at The Neo. The location was perfect for me - one block from the beach and a short walk from everything else I needed (shops/restaurants). I had the small single room, immaculately clean, comfortable and cosy. Beautifully furnished. Every single member of staff was genuinely friendly and welcoming. Breakfasts were fresh and tasty - and a great choice for veggies and non-veggies alike. I booked a massage, which was also excellent. I would highly recommend a stay at The Neo. And I will be back!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed in room 5 for two nights a few weeks ago. My time at the Neo was amazing, the breakfast was yummy, the staff are really friendly and the room was beautiful.
The room offers a big bathroom with a separate shower and bath.
The location couldn't be better for having a great night out in Brighton, whether you want dinner or dancing and if you don't want to go out, you can choose a dvd from the extensive selection or grab a cocktail at the bar.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

If you are after somewhere funky yet chic to hang out during a weekend in Brighton, try the Neo!!!

The rooms, all recently refurbished with beautiful wallpapers have a vintage feel. The owner has obviously invested a lot of time hand picking a style for each room. We stayed in Room 6 which was light, airy and the huge walk in shower....divine after a swim at the beach just a minutes walk from the hotel. The bed is so comfortable I tossed up the idea of skipping breakfast in favour of a lie in.........this could have been a fatal error on my behalf as the cooked breakfast is unreal, the best I have ever had - you must try the homemade bread.

Reception staff were trendy, friendly and ready to help at the drop of a hat. Even offering to carry my luggage for me.

If you are looking for a home away from home atmosphere with a luxury yet funky twist the Neo is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reading
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

We stayed in room 2 for one night at the start of September. From the website The Neo appeared to be an attractive boutique hotel. The public spaces were nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly during our stay.

However the room was very tired, the kingsize bed was two beds pushed together and the duvet was stained. The room got very hot. When the window was open the door to our room banged and did not seem secure. The bathroom door did not close and the shower was too short for my other half to shower standing at full height. The shower basin was also stained and chipped.

I passed my feedback on and have not received a response. Although the issues were trivial there were too many to be tolerated when paying £135 a night.

I would not stay here again and feel it was a complete waste of money :-(

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fatcatcarlos
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

we stayed in Room 5 which had very comfy bed but best part was the bathroom - with big bath and shower both good for 2 people! I also had massage at the therapy room downstairs which was great. Cute breakfast room and yummy food - good choice and papers to read. The only complaint - which is not the hotel's fault is the noise outside. We stayed on a sat and sun night and the noise kept us awake - drunken people shouting all night and cars zooming up the road - but Brighton is a party city so guess I can't really complain!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
romford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

Been to brighton many times & we like it, so this time we view Neo web site, all very nicey nicey so we goes for a 2 night stay, told it is 50% up front with booking, bit heavy but not enough to make the point. We turns up monday morn in the car & oriental place reminds me of my uni days, bedsit city, railings decorated with copious ammounts of rusting bicycles, lines of washing hangin up & builders scaffolds & vans busying themselves on numerous refurbish projects.
Hey ho live & let live, so we decant the car & approach the front door, we nearly gets knocked over by a guy chasing a dog end down the pavement that he's hell bent on retrieving & we negotiate the massive dog poo liberally spread all asunder (note this may be the same pile reported on another review, unless the dog uses the same spot each day??) get to front door & we cant open it cause the door knob is hangin off. By now I'm getting a bit concerned I'm not getting the boutique vibe it's comin over more like bombed out Gazza on a bad day.
Shown to our room, newly refurbished!! I'm a builder so after a 5 minute cursory walk round I am happy to see I'm far from the worse bulider in the world & our room is what in the business we would call "not ready for snagging or indeed practically complete" but I'm brood minded, I dont mind squeezing between the bottom of the bed & the wall & it is after all only for 2 nights.
Day in town goes well, rainy bright, windy, we has a nice meal at the Marina, a night cap in the boozer across from Neo & we retire at 11.30. We then laid in bed awake ALL night listening to the rowdies returning from a monday night out thorough till 4 AM & the noise of 50+ seagulls facing off for a fight all night on the rooftops over our heads making the LOUDEST SCREECHING NOISES YOU WILL EVER HEAR IN YOUR LIFE, at 4 AM it got so bad I suggested we pack, get in the car & leave but we toughed it out till the morning. It was the most stressful, noisy,disturbing time I can say I have ever spent in my 48 years, the thought of spending another day with the prospect of a repeat the next night was simply not an option or experience we could put ourselves through, I would rather pull my on teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers & no anestethic & pay for the experience. So after breaky we tells the smiley lady on reception what a nighmare we had in dungeon nr 6 & respectfully asks what the situation is regarding night 2 cause were not brave enough to stay, we are told we got to pay full ammount in accordnace with their booking policy included in our booking confirmation, (I checked later & it was NOT included on our confirmation) I suggest the hotel is empty anyway & it is mid week, etc etc can't they even make a gesture of knocking off breakfast we wont be eating tomorrow, only to be told the breakfast is included in the price ?? so again NO, oh it's included in the charge for the room we wont be stayin in, that makes perfect sense then, silly me. I suggest I will mail Steph the owner only to be told she never refunds bookings. Sure enough Steph immediately took the money off our card then replied to us some 3 days later, suggeting we take a break in the country. Thanks for the advice Steph, but I wont be taking it, next time we will be returning to Brighton for a relaxing break, but you wont be surprised to hear we wont unfortunately for you be staying at your premises "Faulty Neo" we will leave that to some other poor unfortunate genuine people, just waiting to be stiffed.

MUCH LOVE