“great staff but disapointingly grubby”
Review of The Neo

The Neo
Ranked #34 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2010

guess if you pay £55 for a B&B in a "boutique" hotel - i should be wise enough to know beforehand there maybe a catch!

chose this place from the SIGNPOST Selected Premier Hotel 2010 guide book - not sure who or how the places are selected but i now would be wary of their advice.

upon arrival, even the grubby front door is a warning and the tacky local area - the decor is boutique in apsiration but sadly so badly put together, your eye is drawn to the terrible decorating work. black carpets are chic but not when kept 100% clean and even before entering my room (cupboard!) the marked wallpaper just deflates ones' expectations.

anyone traveling solo who suffers from agrophobia, do not stay in the single room! the height of the ceilings is fantastic but sadly the floor space minimal and the added surprise is the door (cupboard door) to the bathroom.

i advised the receptionist about the badly running power shower ie more water coming out of the top than the bottom and she kindly offered to sort it out, but a bit late after the event!

the usual lights bulbs that dont work, no ventilation in the internal bathroom and a sink that never emptied as you used it - overall a poor experience

in fairness, the only two staff i met were exceedingly helpful and breakfast was good but the place needs a bit more tlc and tidy to make it live upto "boutique" standard

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank gaycoupleSuffolk
There are newer reviews for The Neo

Reviewed 17 February 2010

I'd never been to brighton before, and therefore wanted a real experience. I researched into a lot of hotels, but immediately knew that this was what I was looking for. The hotel was easy to find, close to the train station, just off of the beach.
We received an extremely friendly welcome and were shown our room. We stayed in room number 5, which was even more breathtaking than the pictures. The bed was very comfy, the room included several pieces of unique and interesting furnitures, which made the experience cosy and homely. The bathroom was also amazing, clean and with what seemed like new fittings. The hotel also provides a wide range of dvds to borrow.
However, the best part of the hotel was the breakfast. The breakfast was fab and there was a great choice. However, we did have to eat this early, because it stops before 9:30. during the week/ but apart from that, I had an amazing time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2010

we came here for Civil Partnership and it was great! The service was lovely the rooms were beautifully decorated and the food was fab. And although the rooms were a little small our weekend was wondeful. If you want a huge hotel where you are a nameless, faceless guest then go somewere else! But if you want cosy and welcoming then come here!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2009

This was a last minute decision, literally that afternoon we thought lets have a night in a hotel in Brighton. looked at the Neo's website which looked great. So firstly we phoned the hotel to see if they could do us a last minute deal and was told they had only two rooms left and they could not budge on their rate.
I had looked on Laterooms.com and found i could get the rooms for half price and the receptionist said well book through them then - so i did.
we were told on the phone we were to be allocated room 6 for which myself and my wife liked from the details and photos on the website.
We arrived and from first glance all appeared good, the receptionist was nice polite and couldn't do more for us then she said that the hotel was practically empty - only two other rooms occupied and she showed us room 6. - why she said on the phone that they were full was bemusing!

Room 6 is nothing like what was described on their website - Different appearance, Tiny with a ensuite shoehorned into an existing bedroom which meant that there was about a foot all around the bed for space. The ensuite had no bath as described, though it was a decent shower room.

Not one of the doors to the room could be shut properly. i work in the construction industry and the hanging of the doors was laughable. The central heating in the room did not work at all but they gave us an electric heater which was fine and heated the room great. Though the bathroom was freezing in the morning!

Breakfast was really good with ample choice and generous servings.

Overall, don't think we would go again and would recommend to others that don't pay the full price - not worth it and have a hunt on the internet.

PS no parking to hotel - NCP 5 minute walkaway which was fine but would worry if it was chucking it down!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EANDT1
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I couldn't fault my stay at The Neo. The location was perfect for me - one block from the beach and a short walk from everything else I needed (shops/restaurants). I had the small single room, immaculately clean, comfortable and cosy. Beautifully furnished. Every single member of staff was genuinely friendly and welcoming. Breakfasts were fresh and tasty - and a great choice for veggies and non-veggies alike. I booked a massage, which was also excellent. I would highly recommend a stay at The Neo. And I will be back!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed in room 5 for two nights a few weeks ago. My time at the Neo was amazing, the breakfast was yummy, the staff are really friendly and the room was beautiful.
The room offers a big bathroom with a separate shower and bath.
The location couldn't be better for having a great night out in Brighton, whether you want dinner or dancing and if you don't want to go out, you can choose a dvd from the extensive selection or grab a cocktail at the bar.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2009

If you are after somewhere funky yet chic to hang out during a weekend in Brighton, try the Neo!!!

The rooms, all recently refurbished with beautiful wallpapers have a vintage feel. The owner has obviously invested a lot of time hand picking a style for each room. We stayed in Room 6 which was light, airy and the huge walk in shower....divine after a swim at the beach just a minutes walk from the hotel. The bed is so comfortable I tossed up the idea of skipping breakfast in favour of a lie in.........this could have been a fatal error on my behalf as the cooked breakfast is unreal, the best I have ever had - you must try the homemade bread.

Reception staff were trendy, friendly and ready to help at the drop of a hat. Even offering to carry my luggage for me.

If you are looking for a home away from home atmosphere with a luxury yet funky twist the Neo is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple