“Beautiful room for a great price.”
Review of Limehouse

Limehouse
Ranked #30 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful room for a great price.”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Booked last minute into the Limehouse. The room was beautiful. Lovely wooden floors, en suite, very comfortable bed, nice colouring and in a nice part of town with the sea literally 22 yards away. Nice and relaxed service too, with freedom to come and go when you please (no closing time at night or anything). The staff were very welcoming and friendly. Definitely going back there whenever I'm in Brighton.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jack O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Devon
Reviewed 7 October 2013

just spent 2 nights at Limehouse and thought it was excellent! comfy bed and pillows, large beautifully decorated room, tea and coffee and even the TV matched the decor! great shower room and really quiet outside as i had a back room. as i stay away for business every week, i thought the Limehouse was great and will return when i work in Brighton again! handy for the town with great restaurants just 2 mins away! perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank spangalina
London
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed at LimeHouse with a group of friends and all had a lovely stay! the rooms were clean & bright with lots colour. The shower screen was very clean and had no marks at all in which I was very impressed with! We were impressed with the size of the room & the shower, the beds were comfortable too!

The owner Jay was always contactable and very friendly, always made conversation whenever he saw us, which I think is lovely so they know how your getting on!

I would definitely stay here again. thank you so much!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Els01
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Limehouse was excellently located just 5 mins from central Brighton and 1 min down the road to the coast. The room was bright and airy and clean. Loads of shops nearby and a very good breakfast cafe whose name I forget - excellent egg benedict and full English. The owner was very hospitable and helpful (he will know the name of the breakfast cafe.)

2 Thank Gary L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We spent a few nights in Brighton and as we couldn't get into our fav place thought we'd try Limehouse.Boy were we sorry-yes it's bright & clean but noise levels from bathrooms is awful,bathroom door is flimsy and doesn't close properly.Toiletries .....non existent apart from cheap & nasty bar of soap.One type of coffee,no water,biscuits or any of those other little touches which you expect for £100 plus a night.Tried to ring & speak to reception but clearly weren't understood-tried to speak to 'Anna'-greeted with a shrug. Street noise is horrendous if you have rooms at the front.As for view of the Square...that consisted of either folk revving up bikes or drunks brawling.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at front of building.
1 Thank madwavingwoman
limehousebrighton, Owner at Limehouse, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
We are pleased that you decided to give us a try and so sorry that we didn't meet your expectations this time.

While we are located in a lovely seafront square, just a few minutes from the city centre, over bank holiday weekends, there are sometimes people who are noisy on a balmy summer's evening in the square outside. In fact, I am very active in the local community group that is tackling such behaviour and we are hopeful that we will have a better solution soon. Meanwhile we are also looking the possibility of a better sound insulation from both the street and the bathroom.

Although we don't have a fully staffed reception, we are contactable 24 hours on a dedicated number and it is a mystery why we were not contacted this time and apologise for our housekeeper's shrugged response on this occasion.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in the top floor suite and loved the Limehouse. The rooms are modern and stylish and our suite had a nice 'lounge' area with couch and table in the bay window. The windows looked out on to the nice green square on which New Steine sits, and beyond on to the beach, Brighton Eye and the pier. It was a great view.

Our room was only slightly more expensive than the other rooms and was totally worth it. We booked very short notice and the price we paid was better than some of the prices quoted below for lesser rooms.

Our bathroom was simple and clean, again with modern decoration. The shower was over the bath but it was powerful and hot.

The owner (Jay) is a lovely guy. He was very welcoming and improved the whole experience, asking about our day and having good advice for our stay. We had our bicycles, which we didn't want to leave on the rack over night, so he let us leave them in the hall; dry and safe.

Obviously you may get a more lavish experience at some of the 5star hotels in Brighton but given the prices there is no comparison and the vibe and friendly welcome at Limehouse make it an easy choice for me.

Oh and the bed was massive! Which was nice as I'm 6'4.

Only reason I marked down Value was because I thought the toiletries could have been a bit better and for a 'Suite' you would maybe expect a separate shower and bath.

I also gave 4/5 for Sleep Quality because the walls are a little thin but not enough to keep you awake so it didn't effect our stay at all. The massive and comfy bed made sure we got to sleep anyway!

Great stay overall, thanks Jay.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better. We stayed in the suite on the top floor and the views were excellent an...
1 Thank 603Nathan603
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Sigh. I was so looking forward to our stay at Limehouse, I think that may have been the downfall. There are so many good reviews, and I am generally quite easily pleased (I don't think I've ever given a hotel a 2/5 before), but I left this place feeling completely ripped off and upset. It really put a downer on what should have been an amazing weekend. For the price we paid I really expected something that would put a smile on my face.

I booked a "deluxe" seaview room over the August bank holiday weekend, as we were in town for a friend's wedding and decided to stay a couple of days. We stayed in room 1 which is ground floor, right by the road.

Negatives:

1. Paying extra for a sea view room, when you can't actually see the sea without leaving the shutters open and everyone on the pavement next to the window can look right into your room.

2. Being right by the road, with a motorbike parking space outside the window, meant we couldn't keep the window open at night as it was super noisy. It was really hot and sticky as a result and there were no fans or air con (not to be expected necessarily in England, but in a room where you can't really open the window it might be a good idea). The noise was still an issue - even with the window closed I woke up several times during the night every time a car or moped drove past the window, and I'm not a particularly light sleeper.

3. The bed was really short - I'm not tall (5"7) but my feet were hanging off the end. My boyfriend had to sleep diagonally across the bed!

4. The bathroom "door" - actually a sliding piece of thin wood which did nothing to block out sounds. Not exactly the most romantic thing in the world.

5. Toiletries or lack thereof - for £120 a night I expected slightly more than one little plastic wrapped soap that you could find at any £10 hostel.

Positives:

1. The location - close to the sea, St James street and not far into town. Set on a lovely picturesque square.

2. The decor - it was fresh and funky, but the original details of the house are well kept.

3. The staff at the sister hotel across the street where we had to pick up the key were really friendly. They kept our luggage for us on the day we checked out as well.

4. The room was well equipped with an iron, ironing board, hair dryer and a wardrobe space with hangers.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 at all costs if you actually want to sleep!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ic060
limehousebrighton, Owner at Limehouse, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
It's a great pity for these guests that these issues were not raised with us at the time since the majority could have been resolved immediately. We do supply toiletries and fans for example. And I am surprised about the bed since we get such compliments about them and they are 6" 3" long.

We have been in contact with these guests and are hopeful they will give us another try.