“Great for a night or two”
Review of The Brighton Hotel

The Brighton Hotel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
St Helier, United Kingdom
“Great for a night or two”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Arrived very late but check-in was easy, night porter knew exactly what to do. Room was adequate but on the small side but with nice partial sea view. As I was only there 1nt but had visited before I didn't use the facilities but the hotel bar is a nice relaxing place to have a pre-dinner drink or a few drinks before tattling the frenetic nightlife of Brighton. The only disappointment was breakfast. The choice of hot breakfast was great and my kipper fish came out hot and freshly cooked, but the buffet was a little lack lustre, with just cereals, bread rolls with a few preserves and butter, but no cheese, meats, salads etc and just a choice of 2 juices and coffee being served cold. However the staff were very pleasant both in the restaurant and at reception, offering a late check-out and on departing the South African reception manager said he recognised me from a previous stay which would have been quite a while before this stay

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Excellent value for money, in a great location. I stayed june 2012. The rooms were what you would expect in a hotel like this clean comfortable and with a great sea view, but the best thing about this hotel is the staff. They were without exception helpful friendly and polite. The service was of a very high standard and I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank anneeliz3
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Like Brighton itself, this hotel is a little worn around the edges but still retains a certain charm that makes a visitor feel welcomed and comfy. I stayed in a single room on the 4th floor. The room was small (as was the lift) but very clean.... I found the bed to be comfortable but the duvet should be bigger - it struggled to cover both sides of the bed at the same time! However, the bathroom was sparkling, with a great shower and big fluffy towels, replaced daily.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was perfect. I didn't try the breakfast but the dining area looked very elegant.
My only issue was the lift which is very small and slow - for any-one that has some level claustrophobia (like me), the stairs are the best option.
I will definately return to this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Hermione32
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice with my boyfriend on short breaks away. Not great value for money and we certainly wouldn't pay the summer prices but overall it's a perfect location and staff have always been helpful to us.
Both times when we have checked out we have been allowed to keep our car in the car park until 1pm at no extra charge. We have never had the breakfast there but have never been disturbed by the staff when they have been cleaning.

Overall the rooms are a little shabby and run down with outdated furniture and not the the most comfortable beds in the world. They could also do with redecorating. However we have always been supplied with extra blankets and towels. Rooms could do with a bit more elbow grease when being cleaned though but it's not the dirtiest place I've stayed in!

I would recommend staying here as it is close to the town and the pier.

Traveled in October 2011 and February 2012 with boyfriend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky K
UK
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I came to stay at this hotel with my boyfriend for the bank holidays in June. We were welcomed when we arrived and managed to check in earlier than expected which was nice. The cooked breakfasts both mornings were excellent as well.

Now for the negative...

We noticed our radiator was leaking as the carpet was damp/wet. Called up reception and they said they will send someone up expecting a maintenance on call man to check it out...instead a bar lady came up, had no clue what she was doing and handed a pair of pliars and offered us to fix it!!!! That was just totally unprofessional and unexpected. Next thing, it was raining all day on Tuesday, me and my boyfriend did not ideally want to walk 20 mins into town and i politely asked whether they have any light refreshments or snacks that we can have in the bar area. Instead, the receptionist at the time handed me a map and directed me to a parade of restaurants 5 mins away. Do they not want business???!!! Another thing, due to the weather, rain was dripping through the windows and we had to use the towels that were provided to us to hold the water.

On check out, i complained to the manager of what we had experienced. She felt very apologetic and offered us a deduction of what we had originally paid which ended our stay a little more comforting.

Overall, we would not stay here again and i do not recommend it. It is a shame as the location is great, however if you have never been to brighton before, i urge you to pay a little more and stay at the Hilton :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed 7 nights in this old hotel converted from 2 grand homes. I had telephoned the hotel they day before to explain I have mobility problems. How disappointing to be directed to the 2nd floor to find my room, 226, was accessed by going down steps & then up a flight with the room door directly at the top with no landing. I returned to reception & was assisted my a young man to get my case up to my room but I could not be moved until 48 hours later.

Staff relocated my while I was out on the 2nd day of my stay to room 118. This room is right beside the lift so I had high hopes of being more comfortable without risking my life getting in & out of my room. There were many creaking floorboards & a tiny gap between the foot of the bed & the wall so care must to taken not to knock the tv off the wall on the way to the bathroom. The room was clean though & had a table & chair so I could work in comfort. The windows only open a tiny bit & being there in the May heat wave the only relief was a small electric fan I got from reception. The website claims irons in every room but none in either of these rooms. 118 is behind the lift & next to a fire door so expect to be disturbed by late night returnees. This, however, fades into insignificance at 6am when the extractor fan from the kitchen is switched on, good thing I was up early for work as there is no chance of a lie in in this room.

For all it's failings the hotel is across the road from the beach and an easy walk into the town, but up hill. It's quite a trek to the peer but bus services are frequent.
The staff at the hotel were unfailingly pleasant, happy to chat or leave u to read the paper. They were helpful, efficient
and a mine of useful information. Breakfast was plentiful & quick served by Laura & Jake who were an absolute pleasure.

I would return to this hotel as I'm fond of traditional places & am happy to cope with the idiosyncrasies of old buildings but would hold out for a very different room.

• Stayed May 2012
Scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Pleasant hotel with friendly, helpful staff. I stayed in 2 different rooms (late booking). One was spacious with a sea-and-sunset view - you could sit in the bay window or lounge on the bed and still see it. The other room was smallish but comfortable and very well-cleaned - fair value for the price. Good breakfast in light, airy room - only other food seemed to be toasties in the bar. Because I have stayed in seafront Brighton before, I wasn't surprised to hear late night noise from people in the street - only now and again and not too bad.

Room Tip: Some rooms on west side have view of sea and sunset.