“Pleasant stay in clean hotel”
Review of The Brighton Hotel

The Brighton Hotel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Watford
“Pleasant stay in clean hotel”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The best parts of this hotel are good location to Brighton city centre, sea front position, very clean all round and nice staff. It is a budget hotel and as the building is old the floor boards are not all level and creak a bit. Nothing wrong with this as it just adds a bit of charm. Perfectly good hotel for the price. Breakfast was included in the deal we got and was not the usual buffet style full English breakfast. A good choice of things on the breakfast menu, as well as the full English breakfast. Did not use the bar or have dinner there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meerkat_Man
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found the location good along with the staff being friendly. I look forward to you returning to the hotel should you require accommodation in the Brighton area in the future,

Iain Lindsay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Lancashire
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Check in was quick and efficient, even though a group had arrived at the same time we did. We were upgraded to a superior king, and very nice it was too, large room with a comfortable couch looking out over the sea. Room was clean, everything was supplied from a hairdryer, toiletries and a large flat screen tv with freeview channels that can be adjusted wherever you are in the room. We had breakfast on both days, cooked breakfast to order, including kippers, salmon and scrambled eggs and the usual fry up. It is only a short walk from here to the shops, a 10 minute stroll along the prom to the Lanes but all other shops are nearby. The only downside is the parking, personally, I think £15 a day is too much to park at the hotel a night, there is road parking which is free from 8pm to 9am but outside these times it is payable and boy do they know how to charge, very expensive, unless you have a blue badge, then it is free, there is also dedicated
Blue badge parking in the City Centre, which for us was superb, free parking for up to 4 hrs. We will certainly visit this hotel again. The staff are very friendly and knowledgable about the local area and a couple of restaurants we ca highly recommend are, Grecos, (Greek) two minutes from the hotel, and the Regency (Fish, seafood and steaks) again two to three minutes walk, both are very good

Room Tip: Try and get a sea facing room, great for people watching and the sunshine
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. The parking at the hotel is on a first come first serve basis as we only have 11 spaces and is priced at £15.00 which is a similar cost to other car parks. As you mentioned you can park between 8pm and 9am free of charge on the seafront.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

It must be remembered that this hotel is a budget hotel, and expectations of 5 star hospitality would be unfair.

The staff at this hotel are its shining assets. The late arrival at a hotel after a long days travelling is always a worry, however the night porter who check me in was professional, curious and efficient. Despite arriving at midnight he was more than happy to make sure I was checked in correctly. The same with the breakfast waitresses, very quick in service, polite and pleasant.

The room was as expected from a £50 a night hotel and whilst it could do with a lick of paint it was not to be faulted.

My two main concerns were firstly the cleanliness of the hotel. Walking downstairs for breakfast I had to step over spilt takeaway food on the stairs. This must have been there for several hours, although had gone unnoticed.

My second concern was around the general upkeep. The bannister on the 4th floor is dangerously loose and anyone who stumbled against it would fall over the stairs. This was reported to the staff but in the two days I stayed there this was not remedied nor safety notices put up.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of the hotel and I was pleased you were able to take advantage of one of our winter offers. The maintenance team are looking at the banister on the 4th floor to ensure that it is not a risk to anyone before ensuring it is fully repaiered. I apologise no one had spotted the take away food in the corridor and removed when left by a previous guest. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

South East
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I had a lovely stay here. The check in was helpful and efficient, good tourist information provided. The hotel is well located and on the seafront.

I thought the quality was very good. The room was clean and well maintained with all facilities and a nice view of the sea. Bathroom was spacious and the bath and baisin were both clean. The room was kept really warm which was nice in the cold weather. I had a really good night's sleep and thought the bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel was quiet (well apart from someone doing a clog dance in the room above me at 4am which is not the hotel's fault) and there was very little street noise despite being overlooking the road.

Breakfast was good. I like having the cooked breakfast prepared to order and thought it was done to a good standard with some rather nice coffee.

I would definitely stay here again. I think it's good value for money. I would definitely be happy to come back as it had everything I would expect at a good standard.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the hotel. I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the location quiet, facilities in good and you enjoy that great view. I look forward to you welcoming you back in the future.

surrey
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Booked fairly last minute for a quick getaway from town by the sea! Have now used this Best Western ~10 times and did not disappoint on the whole this time round, as really like the location and IF you're lucky will get an allocated parking spot! (Useful in Brighton!)

However, couple of bad points to note this time, unfortunately, which were: horrid tea served at both breakfasts, which is something fairly simple to rectify, I'm sure! (tea was completely over stewed, almost cold AND served in not terribly clean looking cups!) And secondly, thought I had paid for a room with 'complete' sea view, but as was on the extension side of building and right at the top, there was a bit of an overhang right outside our quite small window, which somewhat restricted it being a COMPLETE sea view, unless standing on my tip toes, and I am quite short. So did feel I overpaid on this occasion:( - but will still give the hotel a second chance, as I generally find my stays very pleasant there.

PS- would like to compliment Elena on her excellent Reception work, always very helpful, friendly smiling and efficient- which is a nice welcome at whatever * establishment wherever you stay!

Room Tip: Room 316 sea facing and a lovely big room too!
Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you for your review and after 10 previous stays I was disappointed that on this occassion we did not meet your expectations. Tea service at breakfast is being changed and we should over come this issue. Clean cups should not be an issue and I will speak to the Operations Manager. This is the first comment on the cleanliness of cups I have ever had. Regarding the view please let me know the next time you stay and I will ensure you are allocated a full seaview room.

I do hope you will continue to use the hotel in the future as a reqular visitor to Brighton.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Have just stayed for a few nights with my partner, hotel is very old and creaky. Reception r always very smiley n great you with a hello everytime they see you. Lift is tiny fits only 2 people n seems very old, wouldn't want to get stuck in that for sure! Upon entering our room (318) we found it smaller than wed expected. Bathroom was very small, n the shower you could hardly move in. There was also a very damp musty smell constantly in there. Beds were comfy, n room was clean. There was several stains on the carpets, one right next to the bathroom door which we think was someone feeling poorly n not making it in time! If u r staying n get put in room 118 218 or 318 u will b woke up several times during the night as the rooms are the main walkway for people not wanting to take the lift so hear people walking by talking loudly and creaking the floor boards. And the lift is also right outside the room so you hear it constantly going up and down at all hours. If you are literally just wanting a place to sleep its an ok hotel. Breakfast isnt the usual buffet style, you have to choose 1 option off the menu. Was a fairly decent breakfast tho. Have no real bad things to raise apart from the lift being very noisey all night n the room being the main walkway, if you wasn't put in one of those rooms you might b ok. We only stayed 2 nights so there was no point in asking to move for our last night. We stayed mid week so id imagine the weekend would b a lot louder.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review and I was pleased you enjoyed your stay but disappointed that the lift and guest moving around the building kept you awake. The carpet I will certainly look at and I hope if you will return if you are looking for a short break in Brighton again.

Once again thanks for your feedback as we do use this to improve our standards and services.

Tidworth
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The whole building had atmosphere although the rooms were a little on the small side. The service from all the staff was excellent. They really made us feel welcome. Breakfast was very good with bubbly staff to set your mood for the rest of the day :-) We would definitely stay again.

It would be good if you could book parking with the room.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thanks for your review and it was great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately with only 11 car parking spaces it is difficult to book spaces in advance. There is an NCP close to the hotel which is £12.50 for 24 hrs.

I do hope you will visit us again in the near future.