“Great Quality-Price”
Review of The Brighton Hotel

The Brighton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel is in a great location and room had a great sea view. The staff was very friendly and accommodating...especially when parking my vehicle in their limited parking space. Hotel is a little tired but has character! The breakfast was good, many choices to choose from. I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly. I look forward to you returning again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was clean and adequate for the money for a one-night stay, although somewhat old and shabby. I guess I am used to nicer and more modern Best Westerns in the United States. Main problem is the drunken rowdiness in the corridors all hours of the night, but this is apparently typical at Brighton hotels on a Saturday night. Staff is friendly and helpful. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised after reading many critical reviews. And it was the only hotel in Brighton offering single night lodging rather than requiring a full weekend booking.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay. The hotel was build in the regency period and is convert from a series of town house giving it character. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and I apologise if other guests disturbed your during your stay.

Hopefully if you are in Brighton again in the future you will return to the hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed here for one night, my room was large and comfortable, overlooking gardens and with a good view of the sea, the shower room small but functional.
Check was smooth, friendly and efficient, there is a ground floor bar and I took the lift to the Second Floor.
Having arrived at One o clock I was able to take advantage of the first come first serve parking at £15 per night.
The hotel is in urgent need of a facelift although I suspect that such is the demand for rooms in Brighton they are probably making money.
The hotel is situated bang on the sea front almost opposite the old ruined pier, about a ten minute walk to the town centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for your response and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel does upgrade areas each year however is a listed building with limitations on what changes can be made without changing the character.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed 4 nights last week and I have to say, slept like a log all week in my ‘double room’.
Took a bit of getting used to-I kept knocking things off shelves until I was acclimatised to the limited space.
One of my colleagues had a room with a sea view which in retrospect was a mistake, as he was kept awake by idiots playing with a Frisbee outside till the early hours.
The breakfasts were varied –the boiled eggs with dippy soldiers were excellent, given it must be 30 years since I had them last.
Shower could do with some maintenance as the hose kept falling on me as the connection was partly broken. I was also attacked by a flying dial, unhinged by the vibrating shower, which I had to stick back on.
Free wi fi was handy.
Bar was ok but needs more chairs and a choice of at least one beer-only lager and Guinness available.
Staff were lovely and attentive.
Wouldn’t go back due to the small rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike S
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your found the bedroom too small. The hotel is listed and has various sizes of rooms. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your dippy soldiers and our free WIFI. Unfortunately we have tried selling draught beer however the demand was just not there. We sell a selection of bottled beers as an alternative.

Perhaps you will consider returning and booking a larger room.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

What a great seafront location however things go downhill from here. Shabby room with a small corner high up window which constituted my sea view...disappointing!! I mostly could see a peeling corner of the building rather than the sea! While the bathroom was modernised the shower sounded like a jet plane taing off.
Comfortable bed but little facilites ot storage in the room, very basic.Sleeping wasn't a problem once you had no neighbours or in my case drilling and hoovering next door up until 10.30pm, was this really necessary? No fridge, air con or even a pen and paper. The window only opened out a small bit, with chains attached, which wasn't a problem until the rain came and it wouldn't close so the window ledge was full of water.
Overall it was functional and clean and did feel safe but lacked in so many ways. A shame.

Room Tip: Top floor better for a quiet sleep but if you are paying for a sea view make sure you are not stuck...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review and I apologise we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is a three star metro hotel which indicates limited service. At three star level you would not normally find a fridge or air conditioning (unless purpose build today). The windows are restricted for health and safety reasons. Each room should have a pen and paper which I will discuss with the housekeeper. As you say the hotel is clean and functional which is what we aim to provide as we are not in the luxury market.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This Best Western has a great location and comfortable beds. The service was ok and if I could get a reasonable rate would use again. I paid less than £70 for the room but would not have been happy had I paid more. The bathroom was tiny and although a 'deluxe room' the bathroom needed some love. Was basic but adequate taking into account the room charge.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms do have a great outlook but I get the impression from other reviews that the room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you would stay again depending on the price. Our pricing structure similar to the airline model and is based on supply and demand.

I hope you will take advantage of one of offers in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked up this hotel as a family for what I thought was an eye watering £175 (no breakfast inc) so was expecting something special. Imagine being given a room that you went down to the hotel depths to find, and opening the door found what can only be described as a dingy depressing and I think unsafe room! Dirty windows that had dirty nets compounded by prison style metal bars (Heaven help you if there was a fire, no escape!) 2 mins in there was enough before we complained and I must say most helpfully given a much better room with sea view and sofa bed for our child. Top marks for helpfulness but my advice is don't book the family room.

Room Tip: Avoid the family room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kevan w

Thanks for your review and comments. I can assure you there is fire exits from the lower ground floor rooms and all has been agreed with the fire authorities. I was pleased that on this occasion we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade. Due to being a listed building the room vary in size and location within the building and are priced accordingly subject to supply and demand in the city similar to the airline pricing model.