“Great Value, excellent food”
Review of La Choza

La Choza
Ranked #127 of 1,195 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Not surprisingly La Choza was full when we turned up for a weekend lunch, but we left our phone number and were soon summoned for an available table. Then the wait began. Having placed our order we watched dismally as dish after dish came up from the kitchen and was ferried outside, although it didn't seem as though there were that many places in the open air. However the ambience, North Laine's weekend vibe and the relentless cheerfulness of the two very busy staff members circumvented any potential eruptions from hungry customers. It was certainly worth the wait. My quesadilla was brilliant and very filling and the bill when it came was a pleasant surprise. Very well priced. This was my first visit but I shall definitely be back. I noticed that the table next to us was offered a taster of the selection of 5 different salsas of varying heat that are served with the meals. Good idea, I might be a bit bolder with my choice next time!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We're a fan of Mexican food and so during a jolly to Brighton for a few days we read that La Choza was serving some tasty dishes. We visited and certainly weren't disappointed! When we arrived they were packed to the rafters (always a sign of good food!) and the guy kindly offered to ring us as soon as a table became available; he was really canny and obviously passionate about the restaurant and good customer service. He rang less than 30 minutes later and we were seated straight away. The decor is great; bright colours, sugar skulls and day of the dead emblems. Even more entertaining is the chance to sport lucho libre masks for photos! The service was informative with a run down of what was on offer, nods to the specials and recommendations. As a fussy vegetarian I was pretty spoilt for choice and my meat eater boyfriend was having a nightmare trying to pick which tasty dish he wanted most! I chose the vegan sweet potato and butternut squash burrito bowl and he chose the pulled pork tacos. It arrived quickly and the portions were extremely generous; they'd even increased it because we were travellers from the north! We were stuffed and the only sadness was that it was over! We both said it was so good we could dust another each! The dishes were fresh, filling and well presented and be range of toppings and sauces really mean you can personalise your dish. The bill for two drinks and our mains with sides was a tiny £20.25 which we couldn't believe! Tasty food for so little with great service?! We're sad there's not a La Choza in Newcastle; it'll just mean we have to come back to visit Brighton again with this as our excuse!

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Saw this amazing place whilst passing by and thought it be a nice place to have a meal. And I thought right! It deserves a bigger venue than where it currently is.As I don't like being rushed in restaurants this one was well paced. I spent over an hour in there and enjoyed every moment. Had such a great vibe from the two lovely ladies that served us. I did however find the menu quite confusing to order from. Me and my partner had a slushy drink which unfortunately wasn't slushy as machine wasn't working properly. It was nice of the lady to inform us and asked us to try it to see if it was okay. Which it was. Great Service!!!! She Interacted with her customers and was also great serving a big group of men. No matter the big order. She dealt with it professionally. :) nachos were amazing and burritos were delicious. Compliments and I shall return again. Thank you!!! (I would recommend to anyone)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Went here on Sunday at 1pm. They didn’t have any tables, so they took our number and said they would call us when they had space. We were then seated half an hour later.
They were one staff member down for the first half an hour we were there. This meant they were a bit rushed off their feet, but still were friendly and were trying their best.
We waited for over half an hour for our food. I think this is because the kitchen cannot cope with the number of people seated. I think they would be better off seating less people, and having a slightly higher turnover of tables. The food when it arrived was delicious – though this might be because we were so hungry by it arrived…
I would go back as the food is good, and the restaurant offers excellent value. I would either go when not starving (and therefore happy to wait) or when it is not busy (if there is a time it isn’t busy).

Reviewed 2 August 2014

popped in for a late lunch on a day trip to brighton. food was lovely there was so much more that i wanted to try including the nachos with looked amazing.service wise the staff were busy but friendly and efficient.
i would definitely return