“Sometimes great, sometimes awful”
Review of Neighbourhood Bar - CLOSED

Neighbourhood Bar
Price range: US$10 - US$11
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Block Bar Brighton is a friendly yet cutting edge bar based in the vibrant Kemp Town area of Brighton. We pride ourselves in exquisite food, extensive drinks menu and a welcoming and happy team. Our kitchen is equipped with a Spanish style wood and charcoal burning Bertha Oven giving all our food that rustic tasty vibe and our wine list is thoughtfully selected to support our chefs outstanding culinary achievements.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Really quirky trendy place, very cool bar/cafe and very Brighton.

Lovely garden to sit in as well which gets the sun very well.

Have sometimes had fantastic friendly service, other times its been extremely bad. Last time I visited, the bar maid was so rude and so uninterested that we just walked straight back out and went elsewhere.

Food is generally pretty good but have never waited less than 20/30 minutes for a sandwich...on a few occasions they had run out of various things or were waiting for deliveries still at 12pm/1pm and so would go across to Tesco which was a bit strange and unorganised...food is good though, just do not eat there if in a rush or hungry!

Seems to be generally very poorly organised and never very clean. It's a shame, would be nice to see some friendly staff, consistency and shorter waits but I don't think i'll be going back any time soon at all...

2  Thank Charm089

Reviewed 7 August 2014

After asking a passer by of a good place to eat, she highly recommended The Neighbourhood. Honesty, on reflection, I wish I walked passed. On entering the bar, it was very dark, smelt strongly of bleach & there seem to be utter chaos around me from the staff. The person behind the bar was oblivious I was there & took a while to serve me, a bit awkward. (I was the only person there at the time) After ordering my food, I waited at the bar for several minutes, until she looked up & then said no, I'll bring it over to you (now made to feel terribly uncomfortable for the second time) Went in to the garden, which can only be described as a hot mess, greasy spoon, a mixture of hand me down furniture painted in various colours, made me feel a little giddy with so much going on. The food arrived in reasonable time, however, the burger was small & I mean 'TINY', it came in an over sized bun, the burger was raw through out the centre, with a minute floppy piece of lettuce. After 3 or so bites, I decided to give up as I could see too much red in the meat. The cheese fries were no better, looked good on arrival, but on eating a handful, these were clearly from a bag in the freezer & were chalky/powdery. I've had cheese fries several times in various burger bars/restaurants & these were not even close. The fries looked like they had been either sprinkled with bright yellow grated cheese or a slice of processed cheese placed on the top just as they came out of the fryer. The cheese cooled down quickly, so by the time I went to eat a fry, they had congealed together & came out of the basket in large lumps, which had to be prized away from each other each time I went for a chip & tasted pretty bad! I quickly finished my beer & left so SO sadly disappointed & still hungry. I really wanted to like this place as it's in a great hot spot in Town & realised after, I had walked passed it with friends & they had commented on it. After £15 for a burger, fries & a beer (with tip) I was left feeling deflated & on my way to the super market for a sandwich.

4  Thank londanar
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Wouldn't recommend it too my worst enemy.
I have always lived in the area and have always meant to talk a look in, but after reading all the bad reviews on trip advisor, and hearing many more bad experiences from family and friends i should have taken their advice - and stayed well clear.

It may look cool and trendy at first but this is the ONLY thing it has going for it.

The food was below average, and stone cold and soggy by the time it took to get to us.
I waited an hour and a quarter for my food, and my daughter was told shortly after mine arrived that they were out of the ingredients to make her dish.
I told them not to bother and we would share.... we wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. All meal we had heard the unnecessarily blunt waitress's talking amongst themselves rather loudly being rude about customers (while they were still in the resturant!!!!) and saying nasty comments about other employees that worked there.
Hardly to none appologies were given about the lateness of our tasteless meal, and whilst trying to pay they still couldnt not stopping chatting loudly to one another, swearing and being impolite infront of my little girl i wanted to cover her ears.
All they could say to us was 'hope you have a nice meal and have a good evening.' after we paid through the nose for a burger, finding out afterwards that they should have been £3 (instead of a small fortune) because it was tuesday and they were meant to be half price.
So disappointed. will be making sure no one that i know will ever go anywhere near the place.

4  Thank Oliviamaa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A very nice pub with great atmosphere, friendly staffs and good price for budget. Definitely will come back again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This place is a real Brighton gem. Found on St. James Street, in the heart of Kemptown, the cool and very trendy-looking interior, which is quirky and excellently designed, hides a fantastic garden oasis at the rear. A quiet place to relax in the sun and sample (m)any of the great beers on offer, or on occasion, a vibrant and fun place to enjoy music and dance at one of their always-good parties. Gay & veggie-friendly, cool & uniquely different from the rest... What more could you want?