“Much better meal this time round”

BBQ Shack at The World's End Pub
Ranked #362 of 1,140 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Brighton
“Much better meal this time round”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My last visit was at the very end of a weekday lunch service three years ago and it was a disappointing meal. Last Sunday I was in London Road so I decided to give BBQ Shack another try.

Thankfully, it was a lot lot better. I had the combo meal with 1/3 ribs and links (spicy sausages) which came with a garnish of sliced gherkin and mild chilli slices, a huge bowl of fries and a tiny pot of guacamole.

On the menu, a 1/3 of a rack of ribs seems a bit mean but believe me when it arrived there was more than enough. It was very meaty and I couldn't finish it all and I'm a big eater! It had a lovely sweet glaze and it is clear by the way the bones fell off the meat(!) it had been slowly cooked. There was just enough fat to give it a lovely flavour and texture. The links were OK but nothing spectacular and the chips were hot and tasty. The guacamole was disappointing. Such a small portion and although they said it was fresh, it lacked flavour. I would have preferred it to be more chunky and with some seasoning.

The main problem I have is with the venue. It's a dark and dingy pub with dark and dingy furniture including old church pews which is supposed to give the place some character. When the place filled with food odours, the smell wasn't that pleasant. Not that there is any issue with the freshness of the cuisine, it is because there is a lack of proper ventilation within that space.

Would I eat there again/ Definitely 'yes' for the food but 'no' to the horrible venue.

I would just like to say though, the staff were very friendly and efficient. They made me feel welcome and looked after.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
York, United Kingdom
“Softest tastiest meat ever!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Went to the BBQ Shack whilst visiting my sister living in Brighton. Unassuming pub and fairly rowdy because of the football but had heard good things about the food (sister had been before) so gave it a try... So glad we did! Portions were huge and great value for money. The meat was so tender and beautifully flavoured - the star of the show! The burrito with brisket and beans was gorgeous and their BBQ sauce is something else. Not on the nicest street in a Brighton but we'll worth the trip for some of the best meat I've ever tasted!!

Visited June 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food I'm going back for more!!!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

great service, great food, great value for money including the drinks...love it. This pub has thoroughly been turned around and definitely the best burger in Brighton and such a wide choice of fillings

• Visited April 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great service and food”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Me and a group of my friends went for dinner, i ordered the ODB( have no idea what that stands for) burger, and it was literally as big as my head, I couldn't finish it, however it was tasty enough for me to have the leftovers the next morning for breakfast(I took it home in a takeaway box). It was really good food and I will definitely go back. The service was great, the three barmaids on shift were really friendly and I enjoyed the music. Definitely a winner!

• Visited May 2014
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Great service!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Busy with a football match. The young guys behind the bar were excellent!!! Polite, efficient and helpful. The food was quite good and came very quickly even though it was very busy. The atmosphere was not great!! Could use a re-furb!! But likes the addition of local beers.

• Visited April 2014