“Awesome Bangers and Mash”
Review of The Geese

The Geese
Ranked #141 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
brighton
“Awesome Bangers and Mash”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Went on Saturday for the first time - What a lovely bar and we were so impressed with the bangers and mash menu - choice of sausages, mash and gravy and they were very yummy.

service was fab as well - will defo be back to try the roast.

Brighton
“GF options AND gravy!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is easily my new favourite location in Hanover. Went on Saturday and arrived as they were opening. Had a chat with the bar manager, who must be the nicest manager in town. He talked me through what I could eat and confirmed a gluten free gravy. They have bangers and mash on every day except Sunday, when they have a roast. We will definitely be going back to try that (if you want to go you will need to book beforehand)

We had a spicy sausage with cheesy mash and onion gravy. It was amazing and very filling. They had about 10 different sausages, 6 different mash and 4 different gravy. They could do every gravy gluten free for me - this is special and was tasty!

What really hit the nail on the head was the great service and lovely manager. Welcome to Hanover. I asked about gluten free beer and he is going to ask his brewery, fingers crossed!

London, United Kingdom
“Best roast and biggest Yorkshires ever!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Sunday roast - fantastic! Very generous plateful, well cooked and biggest Yorkshire puddings ever! Great value and nice little pub too. Well worth a visit.

London, United Kingdom
“spot on!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Geese from the outside is unassuming but as you get through the door there is a warming feeling. The staff are great, friendly and attentive. Even the customers you're surrounded by are of good nature. The food is of high standard, I've had both the roast and the bangers and mash. The meat on both the roast and bangers are of high standard. You'd normally expect cheap sausages but they are by no means lacking in quality. The gravy is outstanding and you should see the size of the yorkshires, they're like dinner plates. Hands down to the chefs. I heard it was a sports pub before with unclean kitchens serving mediocre food but since it has changed hands it is now a place you'd turn to for a comforting meal and a few bevy's with friends. Well Done!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank michael r
Brighton, United Kingdom
“what the?”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I'm not going to lie, I've never liked the geese. I've lived in Hanover for years and been in there on various unmemorable nights. Hearing that it had changed hands made me shrug at best, knowing I was unlikely to go down there. I like my pubs cosy and local, and welcoming. Something always seemed a little off about this place... no a lot off. The attitude wasn't right or something, i don't know. I really don't care if a pub is busy or quiet, it just has to feel right. Kind staff, good beer, and good music are a must!

Last week I reluctantly met a friend in the geese on Thursday night around 7 and the moment I walked through the door.... I actually smiled! You can really sense that this place is better off for its new owner and staff. It's had a cosy redec, warm red and old maps on the wall; the music is great; the ugly signboard above the bar that made the place feel like a weird sports bar/ estate agent is gone - thank god; I didn't eat but my pal filled up on bangers and mash happily, as did other punters around me. I really had a good time. It felt almost homely, as a good pub should! "A proper boozer!" as it says on the posters. Dare I say it the staff actually looked like they were enjoying their work and happy to serve - what a change!

This place - at least as far as I'm concerned - now has all the fundamentals to be real pub. I think given a little more time it'll begin to feel like the geese was always like this. I'll certainly be going back, and will no longer be sneering through the windows as I walk up southover street on my way home, but gazing fondly at the beer taps and frequently popping in for "a swift half" *ahem*. Really well done guys (and gals??)!

• Visited October 2013