“It took me back in time!”

Brighton Toy and Model Museum
Ranked #31 of 171 things to do in Brighton
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

My rating says it all but I loved this little museum.
I would say that it appeals more to adults rather than children though.
It is a paradise for someone like me who was a child in the 1960's. Lots of toys and games that brought back many happy memories.
I never will grow up!

1  Thank Bev H

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Having lived in Brighton for many years I must have walked past this museum hundreds if not thousands of times often thinking how I must pay the place a visit. After finally setting time aside my partner and I were really impressed by this beautifully presented, fascinating museum. I'd have to say this is a must visit. £4.50 for adults and £3.50 for children/students/seniors. We easily found a 2for1 offer online. Inside you can see thoughtfully laid out displays of all sorts of toys from as early as the 1800's. Many cars, trains, models, bears, moving train sets and old penny slot machines you can play. The museum is not too big with great attention to detail. Children and adults alike will love it, and its so well placed that you can drop in as a first or last port of call or after your visit nip across to The Prince Albert pub over the road etc....

2  Thank Robyn M
Reviewed 22 August 2013

What a great place! Absolutely loads to see, with a good variety of toys and models. My children, 12 and 9, were enchanted and especially loved all the old slot machines you could put money in. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Small museum, although interresting. 4,5 pounds is a bit expensive. However it has a nice atmosphere. There should be some more information on the exhibits. 2 stars for the way it's presented + 1 for the idea

BrightonToyMuseum, Public Relations Manager at Brighton Toy and Model Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thanks for the review!
Thanks for saying we have a nice atmosphere, all our front of house staff give up their time for free to keep the museum running so it's great to know that we're making our visitors happy.
We would put more information out about our exhibit but given the limited space we have we couldn't fit much more in without having to remove some of the toys. However, our volunteers all know a little about the toys we have on display and if they can't help you, then we have Tig & Chris on hand every day who both have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the toys and models we display.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

This place has very old toys and train sets, probably ok if its your era, but was mostly 1950s or before, so had no relavance to us, took about 10 mins to walk around

Hi Vicki
Thanks for coming and for taking the time to give us a review. And sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as we hope all our visitors do.
Of course being a museum we do tend to have a lot of old stuff rather than new, and we're not as hands on as we would really like but children chew things, things get broken or go missing so we can't really put any of our toys out to play with.
We do have activity packs which give you lots of fun ideas of how to get more out of the museum, you just have to ask one of our volunteers. However, if you do go around the museum in ten minutes you'll miss a great deal of the toys we have on display. In fact, we have members of staff who are still finding things they didn't notice we had months after starting work here!
I hope you get the chance to come again and when you do, talk to one of us and we'll do our best to make sure your visit is much more fun than last time.