“A Place To Return To - Often!”
Review of TUNTUN's Cafe

TUNTUN's Cafe
Ranked #262 of 1,184 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$9 - US$13
Cuisines: Bangladeshi
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are serving our customers very authentic, traditional Bangladeshi breakfast and lunch at a very reasonable price. Most of our dishes are vegetarian and gluten-free. We also cater for any birthday, wedding or family/social events in Brighton and Hove. We run cookery classes as well for our customers on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays every week. For more information, please contact us.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Saw this one on TripAdvisor and as it's in my back yard went for lunch yesterday. I've had some Bangladeshi food before but nothing like this. It was simply delicious. A young couple running the place, she cooking and he looking after the front of house. One could not possibly get a more polite, friendly and welcoming pair if you tried. The atmosphere was so good it hit you as you walked in the door. The names are strange on the menu but explanations are readily forthcoming, you only have to ask. Spice levels are to your request from almost nothing to "you just don't wanna know" I have no idea what mine was called as my tongue isn't that articulate but it was some sort of potato and meat curry with a new, to me, flat bread. One of the best curries I've ever had. My wife had a fish curry but she admitted a little too mild so next time, and there will be a next time for sure, she'll have a tad more spice. If you are more knowledgeable than me and know of some Bangladeshi dishes give the chef notice and she will do them to order for you. Non-alcoholic which I'm not sure if it's because of not yet having a licence or because of religious reason but that was no problem as a large range of soft drinks were available with lovely coffee and tea. A real gem for lunch and I can see us becoming firm regulars

2  Thank Roger S

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My first visit to this unassuming looking restaurant left me keen to return to sample other delicacies. The delicious food, complemented by friendly, helpful service and relaxed atmosphere is unsurpassed by any other restaurant in Brighton offering nay cuisine, not just South Asian. The 'singara' are deliciously wholesome and spicy and all the vegetarian dishes were made with the freshest, tastiest ingredients.

1  Thank james l
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Nice people. Nice food. Slightly rough around the edges cafe location. But the food is great.

Very reasonable. And the only Indian in Brighton that I know of that serves breakfast and lunch.

1  Thank Daniel_gilbert_uk
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Visited for lunch. Family run cafe / restaurant. All food is cooked fresh when ordered apart from the snack and sweets available from the counter. I ordered 'singara'- little samosa type snacks with a spicy chutney, and 'Paratha Aloo dham with omelette'. The singara were very nice- quite small but packed with fresh veg and nicely spiced. The main dish was huge, two very good parathas, a generous bowl of very good potato curry including some fiery green chillis and an omelette again with green chillis (they did ask whether I wanted the chillis).

I also had a chai which was ok but i prefer the proper indian chai which is made with condensed milk and is sickly sweet!

A free dessert consisting of a couple of indian sweets was a nice touch.

Overall a great experience- my sort of place, casual and relaxed, and authentic great value fresh food. I spent 6 months in india and this is some of the best food I have had outside of india. If you crave an indian style breakfast or lunch then I recommend this place, I will be trying the masala dosa on my next visit!

1  Thank Mmarty_mcfly
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have been going to Tun Tuns for a year now and never disappointed us. The family who runs the place is so accommodating espcially with children. We once took over the place with 5 kids, and they made us feel very welcome by giving the children toys to play with.
Food is authentic, and price is very reasonable. As in other reviews, this is a good honest cafe with no frills. A true gem in Brighton!

1  Thank T_SmithBrighton_UK