“Excellent Hotel”

Ibis Brighton City Centre Station
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a very new hotel with lovely facilities: It is beautifully clean and kept so by the conscientious housekeeping staff. We found the bed extremely comfortable and the bathroom pod very good (It's the only hotel shower that I've ever known not to leak into the surrounding bathroom area. Some good design there- well done.); the breakfast very good value for money and delicious and the staff always extremely pleasant and helpful. As far as the hotel was concerned, nothing could be faulted particularly since we paid only (about)£130 for 2 nights with breakfast.
I have, however, only been able to award 3/5 for value because of the parking charges that were incurred. It cost £30 for our stay which added what I considered to be an unacceptable and hefty surcharge to the otherwise wonderful value of the stay. What a shame. Surely it should be possible for some deal to be struck with the local car parks?
Except for this, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us via Tripadvisor. My team and I are very happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and found the service to be pleasant and helpful throughout. We have approached the car parks regarding hotel rates, but as parking in Brighton is very limited, we have not managed to secure any favourable rates for our guests. We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

There are newer reviews for Ibis Brighton City Centre Station

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here last night in a family room. Everywhere is clean, which is as you'd expect considering its only just opened. Check in very smooth and easy. Large room with a sofa bed and twin beds. The sofa bed is very uncomfortable, if these are brand new then money has been wasted! You can feel all the springs when you lay on it, perhaps a thicker mattress would solve this? The rooms are still very light even with the blinds fully closed but the air con is lovely and quiet. The fire alarm went off at 9.30 in the morning. We made our way downstairs, along with everyone else, to find absolutely no one telling you what was going on. This is very poor customer service and surely covered in basic training. All we were told when the alarm was switched off was that we could now return to our room. Had we paid more than our bargain £55 I'd have been very disappointed. We have stayed previously in the Premier Inn in Brighton and would rather pay to stay there in the future.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us via Tripadvisor. Although I was happy to read that you found the hotel clean and spacious, I was disappointed that you found the sofa bed uncomfortable. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise about the Fire evacuation. Due to 3 separate incidences, all of which posed no danger to you our guests, the alarm took longer than anticipated to silence, but does not make up for the lack of communication provided. Health and safety and in particular Fire safety is of paramount importance to us and does form part of our basic training, conducted even before the hotel opened. I will ensure that all of the team communicate clearly to guests in future not to cause any confusion or frustration. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed in this newly opened Ibis for one night. As it's new, everything is clean and pristine. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The shower temperature was a little temperamental, which because it was the height of Summer didn't matter too much - when the water ran cold unexpectedly, it wasn't too much of a tragedy. Not sure I'd feel so accommodating if it was mid-Winter . . . I know at least one other reviewer has mentioned this issue so it's something they should sort out. That aside, we'd definitely stay here again. Does exactly what it says on the box and all in all a good hotel.

1  Thank Suzanne85
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us online. I have noted your comments regarding the shower and can confirm that we have been tracking all of the reviews and do have the issue with the water as a priority to sort out to avoid future occurence. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed 25 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I'll try to be brief: it's a very clean, very modern hotel. The room is well designed, very compact but with plenty of space. The shower room/toilet is small but adequate: I just wished there was a hairdryer socket nearer to the bathroom mirror. Why do hotel designers not put mirrors near the windows, where the natural light is ? (electric light is no good for applying makeup).
There are plenty of sockets for charging phones, and allegedly there's free wifi in the rooms (ours worked for the first night, but not after that).

There's no view to speak of, just the somewhat tatty Queens Rd, but we only use the room as a base for sleeping & showering: the rest of the day we're out & about ( so much to do!)

It's dog friendly like most of Brighton (laminate floors in the room).
We took the DoggyRide buggy for Precious to sleep in, so she doesn't make any mess, but there's still an extra cleaning charge for dogs: I was quoted £5 a day by phone, but the staff on reception said it was £15 a day. Best to check, and get someone's name if they tell you anything. We've booked "dog friendly" hotels in the past, only to be turned away when we arrive, so don't believe everything you read on booking dot com or similar sites: check direct with the hotel.

Brighton is very low in grassy areas for the dog to go toilet (there are lots of green spaces, but they are "no dogs"). We found a little grassy park for her a few yards down the road, past Tesco.
The hotel is a few mins walk from the shops, it's right on top of the North Laine (the best bit, imo) then the beach is another few mins from there, as the gull flies.
If you don't want to walk, there are buses & taxis from outside the front door.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel because we prefer to go out early and eat in Cafe Rococo (Kemptown) or Iydea on Western Rd, and have pub lunches (so many excellent pubs in Brighton, all of them busy & thriving).

I'm going to moan a bit now in the wish to be totally honest, but really this is a very good hotel for £76 a night, and you can cancel up to 2pm on the day of arrival with no penalty charge.

Now, the niggly bad points:

PARKING
parking is a nightmare in Brighton, which is well served by public transport. However, where we come FROM isn't: so we have to drive. We found Trafalgar St (Blackman Rd) to be the nearest carpark, at £15 a day. We still had to haul 5 suitcases up a steep hill in very busy streets in a heatwave, so don't park any further away (the NCP North Rd is close too). The hotel didn't mention any discount, but the carpark says it's reduced to £10 a day for hotels. The Ibis needs to sort this out, and get their guests the discount.

Otherwise, arrive by train, because the station is about 10 yards away.

LANGUAGE BARRIER
The staff are lovely, so friendly & smiley, but English isn't their first language. That's fine if things are straightforward, but we had confusion about our booking, about changing our booking, and about checking out. They started cleaning our room while our cases were still in there, even though I'd checked on the last day that we had until midday to checkout.
There are many, many unemployed young native Brighton people, don't any of them want to work for hotels?

BEDS
the beds are high, and they kept moving through the night (twin beds, popped together). We don't want a double, because I get squashed, and we don't want singles. A twin is perfect IF it stays where it's put and not move around on the floor.
The pillow is really high & I got a cricked neck. 2 flatter pillows would be better, tbh. I usually take my own: daft, but worth it for a good sleep.

NOISE
Brighton is a noisy busy, 24hr city: we know that.
We'd specifically requested a quiet room, but got one on the 5th floor, facing the main road, in a heatwave. We try to be eco & turn the aircon off, but it was simply too noisy to have the window open: drunks until 3am, then screaming gulls from 4am and taxis & buses from about 6. Actually, the aircon in the room was really quiet. Take earplugs & an eye mask (the blackout blinds don't actually cover the windows, so they let in an inch of sunlight all the way round).

Room Tip: don't get a room facing the main street (Queens Rd) if you want a quiet night: and go higher th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank CongoGrey

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences online and rating us with 4 stars. I have noted all your feedback regarding the design of the bedroom and the beds themselves. I was also disappointed to read about the confusion on check in and the charge for Precious. We do only charge £5 per pet per day and if you have been charged more than this, please do contact me directly on h6444-gm@accor.com so that I may investigate this further and if necessary refund the difference. With regards to the parking, there is a drop off facility right opposite the hotel, to avoid carting your luggage around, before you park up at the Trafalgar Street Car Park. As for the £10 rate, as mentioned in other reviews, this only applies to vehicles parked Monday to Thursday after 4pm in the afternoon and out before 11am, there is no other discount or stamp required for this option. We are very proud of the diverse team we have in the hotel and more so of the fact that we have been working with local community based agencies to employ native speaking staff. I have also noted your feedback regarding the beds and the noise and thank you once again for your valuable feedback. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed 23 August 2013

The hotel is new and furnished to a very high standard (it opened a month earlier) in July 2013. The breakfast is excellent. The mattress topper made for an uncomfortable sleep.

What has upset me most with this hotel was the advise given by the receptionist regarding nearby parking. She advised if I parked in the North Road NCP (£25 for an overnight park) they would stamp my ticket and I would receive a £10 discount. At reception the next morning no such arrangement exists so I am extremely annoyed at their blasé attitude regarding the amount of money their guests end up spending when the spend is directly attributable to the hotel providing the information.

So, if you are going to this hotel and arriving by train you'll have a really nice stay.

Room Tip: A high room (Level 10) will cut a lot of the street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us via Tripadvisor. I was very surprised to read your feedback regarding the topper as we are usually commended on the sleep quality. As per previous reviews, we have always made it a point to direct guests to the Trafalgar Street Car Park, providing a map and rate sheet to direct guests accordingly, so was disappointed that you were directed to the North Street Car Park. We do genuinely appreciate all feedback and as such if you could please contact me directly, so that I may deal with this personally on h6444-gm@accor.com would be of great assistance. I do sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I recently had to travel to Brighton in an emergancy as my husband suffured a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital there for a by-pass operation. The hotel is situated next to the train station so I went in to try and book accommodation for the weekend. Even though it was one of Brighons busiest weekends (pride weekend) Leo on reception was excellent, having listened to my predicament he went out of his way to find me a room and he and all the hotel staff were extremely kind and friendly throughout my stay.
The hotel was spotless and the room very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of both hot and cold dishes.

Thank you again for the excellet customer service in my hour of need.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on line and rating us with 5 stars. Under the circumstances I was very happy to read that we were able to help you in your hour of need and you appreciated the assistance provided by Leo. We all wish your husband a speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel soon for some much deserved rest and relaxation. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls