“The ibis Brighton Never Fails”

Ibis Brighton City Centre Station
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Just returned from a night in the hotel and I can truly say what a relaxing stay. The decor is very contemporary and the bed is the comfiest ever. The staff were very friendly and located just down from the station - there is lots going on. Truly recommend staying here

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel last September, and although our stay was lovely and didn’t have any problems then, I found out later that not only they double charged my credit card (understandable human mistake, though I am still waiting for a refund) but they also decided to charge an extra 166.63 Euros the following month when I wasn’t even in the country!! (Not so human mistake now, more like theft?). I have since emailed and phoned the venue on numerous occasions and I have yet to receive a reply or even an acknowledgment that the issue is being looked into. I spoke on the phone to Maria, who was polite and helpful at all times and assured me that she would pass the message to her manager. But no luck so far. I am now looking into filing a small claims court case to try and resolve the matter as I am being completely ignored by the Ibis.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pilar A
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Ms Pilar,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online, however I was very disappointed to read of your experiences and the lack of attention provided you by my team and for that I am sincerely sorry. Further to our telephone conversation, I did explain that the charge to your credit card was a unfortunately down to human error, but this has now been rectified and I am very happy that you will be returning to the hotel soon again. I look forward to welcoming you back, so that you may experience first hand the changes your feedback has helped bring about. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed 12 December 2013

beautiful hotel, good location near station and close walk to pubs etc. and 10 min walk to the water. Really good breakfast, worth paying for. We had to pay 25pound for parking around the corner which is a lot of money however. The next night we stayed near the pier, and next time I will stay at this ibis as there actually is more around this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

On the positive side the bed is really, really comfy and the location is great, if you want to be close to the station. It's new (one of the rebranded Ibis Styles) and the buffet breakfast is good value at £7.95. It's clean. But the rooms are small and a bit depressing. There is nowhere proper to sit comfortably, except on the bed. The bathroom re-defines 'compact' and the shower is one of those sealed unit things that makes you feel like you are in a mobile home. When we went down to breakfast on Saturday morning it was chaos. The staff seemed incapable of ticking people's names off the list, or of coping with customers who needed to pay in cash. The breakfast area (the foyer) is cramped and poorly set-out and there was more or less constant gridlock as people tried to manoeuvre round other guests waiting for hot food, which wasn't being filled up particularly efficiently. Also they have ridiculously small rectangular plates which require superior balancing skills just to get a few mushrooms and some toast to stay on them. Once we sat down we quite enjoyed it, but it did feel all a bit stressful. Sunday was much better; we went down to breakfast late and there was hardly anyone there. The staff were mostly very friendly (the ones that weren't a bit vague) and when our keys stopped working on day two the concierge sorted it out for us without any fuss. Having stayed in an Ibis Styles in Paris, in a lovely big room with a king sized bed and proper bathroom I found this version disappointing and I am not sure why they couldn't have added a couple of comfy chairs and a bit more floor space. I would stay here again, but only for one night.

Room Tip: We were at the back, with an ugly view, but it was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed here for one night and got the impression that the hotel had only just opened - everything felt very new. The rooms are fairly typical Ibis but with a full Freeview TV (as opposed to the handful of channels Accor hotels usually give you). The staff were very efficient and the room was spotless.

I was under the impression a car park was nearby and it was quite some walk away with luggage (and there is nowhere to pull over near the hotel so you need to know where you're parking beforehand!).

The hotel restaurant had a pretty uninspiring menu and I and pretty much everyone else I could make out, chose to eat at one of the many restaurants in the vicinity.

Definitely worth staying here compared to some of the run down places on the seafront, and ideal if you're travelling by train.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

A very clean, basic room with very comfy beds- even the sofa bed was relatively comfy! In a great location- it's practically on the doorstep of the station so very convenient (especially as guests can store luggage after check out for £2). Excellent value for money. We will most certainly be staying again!

Stayed: December 2013