“Lovely choice of food & drink” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
ridgewood, east sussex
“Lovely choice of food & drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stopped in for coffee and cake and I'm very glad I did. Great choice of cake and the latte was really hot, which is what I asked for. Staff are uber friendly and it was very clean. When I forgot to order a one shot latte and said it was a little strong, they gave me a jug of hot milk at no extra charge. We'll worth a visit if you are down the lanes in Brighton

• Visited May 2014

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great food, terrible service and attention to detail”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

3 of us popped in here for a bit of lunch. I selected the Chicken and Tarragon Puff Pastry Pie and when the rest of our party went to order I was told they didn't have any. After selecting 2 other things from the menu that they also did not have, I asked what was available and had to go for that.
Our coffees were served with no milk and the waitress could not be flagged down for another 20 mins while we waited for (a sandwich, cake and a quiche). Finally we got our food that had been sitting less than a meter away from us on the side while the rest of the staff ignored it and the missing milk.
I asked for salad dressing which was served in a hot espresso cup from the top of the coffee machine (warm salad dressing isn't the best).
Throughout the time there the waiting staff were miserable as sin, but the food in general tasty.
Won't be going back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stirling
“Tasty, locally sourced menu, full of character and welcoming atmoshere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

First visit to Berties, but it won't be our last. In Brighton for the afternoon we decided to head for the North Laines, a favourite area of ours full of amazing wee shops selling the most eclectic range of goods. There are many cafes and coffee shops but Berties came highly recommended and since we hadn't been there before we decided to go there for lunch. Situated on bustling Bond Street, it is a fairly new place, open just under a year. The decor is art deco and there is a cosy welcoming atmosphere, with bags of character and some gorgeous chandeliers! There are tables outside, stools and bar to grab a quick bite overlooking the street outside and tables inside at the cosy rear of the cafe, There is also free wifi. The menu is varied - paninis, toasties and sandwiches with loads of choices of fillings, soup, cake (you should see the cakes!!), etc. Almost all the ingredients are sourced locally in Sussex which is a great showcase for Sussex produce in itself. We ordered the Chili Pig and Clucking Fantastic paninis, along with coffee and green tea. The service was not the quickest but as is explained in the menu, everything is prepared fresh so may take a little longer. Both paninis were delicious, a bit different from the norm, combining lovely flavours. We were both full after munching our way through those, which was disappointing as I would have loved to sample a bit of one of the amazing looking cakes on display. That will be for next time. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The other customers seemed to cover all ages and styles, friends, couples, family with young children, and there was a pleasant buzz about the place. We also noticed that apart from people sitting in there were others coming in to order to take away. The prices are very reasonable and we certainly felt we got value for money. A lovely wee independent venue to meet for a bite to eat and a catch up! Will definitely be back!

London
“The most amazing cafe in Brighton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We came in for tea and cake and was met by the friendliest lady manager and staff. As for the tea selection, well finally I found the best earl grey ever and to accompany it, a Sussex scone and jam, but that was a hard decision! The cakes stand about 20 cm high!! Next time I'm having the carrot cake. The decor is clean, beautiful and modern. Despite living in London, I would come here for afternoon tea again. Thank you for a lovely afternoon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My kids loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Went here with my son and daughter over half term and it was a resounding success! I had a lovely pot of tea whilst the kids had soft drinks (big selection, reasonably priced) and we shared a slab of their cake. Delicious, would definitely return when in Brighton!