“Faulty Towers merges with Severn Trent sewerage works Open for business,” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abbey Hotel

Abbey Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Abbey Hotel
Ranked #89 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
London
“Faulty Towers merges with Severn Trent sewerage works Open for business,”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

1. 24hr Self service restaurant - Room with snack bar vending machines.

2. No compromise on cleanliness - Vomit left in the hallway for a known time of 9hrs (may still be there). (Hygiene Hazard)

3. Faulty mains electricity (tested by mobile phone charger - would only work in one of 3 chosen rooms).

4. Poor fitting doors/locks. - Heavey applied pressure to enter your room only then to struggle to get out again (fire hazard)

5. Communal shower area never seen clean over the weekend. Consitent gathering of soap bars and packets in the shower cubicle (who is the cleaner and how often).

6. Faulty appliances - Kettles with sticking 'on' switches ( 2 kettles tested )

7. 3rd floor room with waist high full size sash windows open fully with no security or safety features. (Geoff capes could fall out if not for the table infront of it).

8. Secure parking!!! CCTV camera for the car park was only seen switched on once.. always usually 'off'

9. Key control very poor. Just ask for a number for a room and they give it to you. My mate asked for a wrong key and was given it. Lucky he realised.

10. Lift system dangerous and ancient. Use this if you want to lose a limb or two.. Oh and no baggage as you wont get in the lift its that small.

Overall for a STAG Party it added to the fun of the weekend and created endless banter and amusment.... For a single traveller or couple or family.... RUN RUN RUN... or take out serious insurance and some vaccinations....

OH the plus side - has free interenet.. (if you laptop doesnt get nicked)

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Marksman2009

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed there for a Hen Party in Brighton. There was 8 of us. Two twin rooms and 4 singles. I called up the day before and got a parking space in hotel parking which is only 2 mins around the corner - £8. Would recommend booking as soon as you can to get a space as there are only 8 spaces.

I had a single room and I was happy with it. It was like being at uni again. Had a TV, fridge, kettle, toaster, tea and coffee facilities, even milk in the fridge. The bed was comfortable with a pillow and duvet.

The room was clean.

Even though shared toilet we were lucky as the 4 of us girls with single rooms just shared the same loo. This was clean as well. There was no other visitors using our loo.

Would recommend for a cheap weekend in Brighton.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a girly weekend, there was 12 of us so we had 6 rooms overall..the rooms were clean with nice beds and mirrors (which are NEEDED on a girly weekend) we did only use the hotel to get ready in etc but it was clean and we didnt have any complaints..
the hotel do say you cannot consume alcohol in your rooms but we did :)
the toilets are not in your room but their is a toilet and shower for every two rooms..!
we didnt see many other people whil ewe were there and it was not very noisy..its abit of a walk to the peir but cabs are cheap and there is an off license 2mins down the road...!
the lift is LEGEND, and you MUST go in it..! haha..!
great hotel and i would defo stay again :)

• Liked — everything..! the lift..!!
  • Disliked — nothing..!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank cole271189
bridport dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

we were very impressed with the abbey,the staff were friendly and helpful,the service was excellent , we had a very enjoyable stay and would have no worries about staying there again

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seasider21
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2007

Very, very basic. Although the hotel advertises as an aparthotel with kitchen facilities, they do not provide tin openers, bottle openers, wine glasses, tea towels etc etc.

The hotel was generally clean, but very tired decor and stained carpets. Heating was an electric heater and hot water from geysers that did not work very well. Definitely a hotel from another age.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank WalesRoadrunner

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2007

Despite staying at many hotels and not being one for airs and graces (I often stay at NYC's Westside Y for heaven's sake!), nothing quite prepares a person for the nightmare that is the Abbey Hotel. Decorated in Early English Disaster, the reception with it's wall to wall glass partition, is the first indication that all is not as it seems. Your door key is handed to you via a small opening beneath along with a security keycard (another indication) required to enter the grim main bulk of the hotel. At this point, one is left pondering that this is a venue that expects or has already witnessed dubious goings-on.

Shabbiness is the word that comes to mind as one makes ones way to the cell-sorry, room of their choice. Is it the fraying carpet, the spartan walls or the numbers on the doors hand-etched with a silver marker that finally causes a person to want to turn tail and leave? Probably all three.

After checking out the down-at-heel shower and toilet facilities (the shower door was some bizarre louvre door type thing) and disovering that my allocated room was about as enticing as an invitation to go backpacking in Fallujah, i decided to make the most of the one fabulous resource the hotel offered - free wireless internet access!! Within seconds I had booked into the wonderful Legends Hotel (the last room) and was on my way.

Most reprehensible is the fact that some orgainisation has seen fit to give a 3star rating to this hotel of horror. One can only quake at the prospect of what kind of establishment merits just the one! It should also be noted that my email of concern sent almost immediately received no response. However, that should not surprise as the whole enterprise has indifference written all over it.

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank fromhell1959
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

The company I was working for in Brighton booked this hotel for me, when I got the details I checked it on the web and saw it was self catering, but did offer breakfast as extra. Therefore I asked for breakfast to be booked for me, and confirmed this when I arrived. On the first morning the receptionist told me that breakfast was not served until 08.30, I therefore went back to my room and returned at 08.30 only to be told she thought I'd left and had cancelled my breakfast. The second morning, I did get breakfast, although I had to wait for the receptionist to go down the street to buy bread and cereals! The third morning the duty receptionist told me in no uncertain terms that breakfast was NOT being served that day (even though it was booked and paid for). After that I gave up. The first night I was in a single room, sleeping (or trying to sleep) on an uneven bed, with nasty shared toilets with no wash hand basins in them. After the first nights experience, I upgraded to a room with en-suite, although better, throughout my stay the bathroom was never cleaned nor the meagre carpet vacuumed. It was noisy, smelly and generally unpleasant. I also suspect there were fleas in the carpet as I got bitten quite badly on my feet and ankles. Only stay here if you want a totally miserable experience.

• Liked — Getting out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business