“Not bad”

Ranked #18 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We booked a couple of nights here for a mini break with our son. The staff are absolutely excellent, nothing is too much trouble. As soon as we parked outside they were on the case guiding us to the best place to park (note: there is parking right outside the hotel, but it's £3.50 an hour!). The suggested we brought our luggage in and stored it in a spare room while ours was being prepared, they recommended an excellent restaurant, searched high and low for an umbrella for us when we realised it was pouring with rain and all our coats were in the car parked two streets away...the list is endless. Breakfast was freshly prepared, and delicious.

I'd say calling it a themed hotel is probably a bit of a stretch, and the rooms could probably use a bit of an update, but they're minor things. They'd certainly not stop me coming back. We booked a two room suite so our son could have a bedroom to himself (and we'd get some peace once he was in bed!), it was certainly very good value for money. Would definitely come back here if we were staying in Brighton again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JoCaswell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I booked a one night stay for my girlfriend and I to escape the drudge of London and to relaz and I am happy to report that it succeeded! The hotel is moments away from the iconic pier and seafront but is far enough away for it not to be too noisy at night-time. We stayed in the Opulence Suite which had the most wonderful sea views, decadent theming throughout and the comfiest chaise longue I have ever had the pleasure of placing my derriere on! Though the room was quite pricey (£140) it still felt reasonable when looking at the location of the property, the views and the breakfast on offer.
The breakfast was 'award winning' and when opening the menu it was clear to see why. All of the produce was locally sourced and organic and the variety on offer was also extremely good. The free newspapers were also a nice touch. We both enjoyed the full english breakfast and were impressed with the quality of the produce and the service we received in the breakfast room. This was well worth the price tag on the room. Just a tip; ask to have the hash browns with your full english, they tasted like little triangles of fried heaven!

The whole of the hotel was furnished to a high standard and I would've loved to have a look in the other rooms to see how their theming worked too! This boutique hotel is perfect if you're looking for that little something above the run of the mill B+B's you often find in English seaside resorts and I wouldn't hesitate in staying there again or recommending to others.

Room Tip: Pay that little extra for a suite; the sea views were absolutely stunning.
England
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Had a lovely long weekend here with my two youngest children - 11 and 6, who loved Brighton and the hotel. Plus points - The great location -Walking distance to the beach, pier, the lanes, good restaurants and a short taxi ride to the Marina for bowling and yet more restaurants. Also plus points were the helpful staff, could not do enough, telephoned doctors for me, booked taxis, advised where to go, gave us discounted tickets etc etc....Only downside for me was the lack of air conditioning in the penthouses, stayed in the Manhatten the first night and it was roasting...nights 2 and 3 in the New York and it was much more pleasant. Views from the room of the pier and the wheel, especially at night thrilled my children, although it did make my 6 year old want to go back out to the pier which I did not think was advisable as there did seem to be a fair few drunk souls out on the streets, not sure if that was normal or just because it was such a sunny weekend. Would definitely recommend .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in august, Clean and well managed, staff extremely helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was good but have had better love that they bring it to your room. We stayed in the indulgence suite which was very spacious. The Hotel is in the older part of Brighton and the building does need some TLC the floor boards are a little creeky and the window frames could do with a lick of paint. But all in all we had a wonderful time.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked this hotel on the appeal of its website. However, when we arrived at the hotel we seemed to have been mislead! The entrance is certainly not representative of the sophistication and style you would expect from a boutique hotel. As we arrived early we left our bags at reception and returned early evening. I was disappointed to find our bags had not been taken to our room and I had to drag them up the stairs to the top floor New York themed room. Not a good start.

The room itself was spacious with a king sized bed and ensuite. I was again disappointed to find that there was no air con facility and the room was roasting hot. The bathroom was ok yet badly designed and poorly finished. We treated ourselves to the breakfast in bed option as we heard the breakfast was award winning. I was eagerly awaiting the breakfast to arrive, which it did promptly at 9am. Unfortunately it was average, two poached eggs that were hard, smoked bacon (not a fan), one sausage, one tomato and mushrooms. Also included sachets of sauces that were out of date.

In summary I would say this hotel needs to concentrate on getting the basics right. It is an average b & b at best and certainly not a boutique hotel.

3 Thank Paul H
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at the Sea Spray hotel two years ago for my birthday. We spent one night in the Manhattan Penthouse and we loved it. The bed was huge and comfortable and the whirlpool bath was a real treat. We had a great offer with breakfast in bed plus a three-course dinner for two for an additional £20. Our stay was unforgettable so I really looked forward to visiting the Sea Spray again.

This year I booked the Eden suite (via their website) which sounded and looked wonderful. The staff were certainly friendly and helpful. We loved the convenient location for the sea front with its attractions and shopping was only a few minutes walk away. Parking was nearby in King St or there is discounted metered parking right outside. The highlight was soaking in our own private hot tub under the stars. We enjoyed our stay but despite the hot tub the Eden Suite at the Sea Spray was over-priced at £180 per night.

First of all, the private dining area is minimal, basically a hallway with two doors with a table and two folding chairs placed in it. You have to pass through a storage area (curtained-off) to reach the Eden suite and in some ways the dining room feels like an extension of the storage area.

Second, the bedroom is quiet and comfortable but also small. The night tables are titchy and there’s hardly any room to place more than a paperback book or a cup of tea on top of them. There is an alarm on one night table, which didn’t ring in the morning though we set it the night before. There is a mirror hung in a nook with a shelf underneath; my husband pointed out that a person couldn’t back up to see themselves in full in the mirror, so it’s more like a dressing table mirror. The bed is comfortable but it isn’t as large as the bed in the Manhattan Penthouse. I noticed a review written earlier this year mentioned that some of the spotlights in the bedroom were out. A few were still not working.

The bathroom has a fairly large bathtub and a good shower, but a flimsy shower curtain. While I took a shower and figured out how to change the settings from the tub to the shower the water went everywhere and I had to mop it up with a towel.

The TV reception in the bedroom in the evening wasn’t very good. I gave up watching Coronation Street because I got tired of the picture breaking-up. Reception was better on other channels. There were only about 5 channels however. We couldn’t get the TV in the lounge working and we thought it was meant to be a DVD player and not a TV. But when we mentioned it to reception in the morning they said it was probably stuck on the DVD setting. They said if we had told them about it the night before they would have tried to switch it back for us.

We made ourselves a meal with the microwave and my husband was upset by food residue on the glass plate in the microwave. There was also food on some of the cutlery. Later on he found a hair pin in the bathroom sink.

In all, our stay would have been better with a sign or notice explaining how to change settings on the TV and keener attention paid to the cleaning. I would gladly stay at the Sea Spray again in the future, but it would need another good offer like the £20 dinner voucher to offset the high tariff. Sadly, the dinner offer wasn’t available in the summer.

Room Tip: Try the Penthouses
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed in the new York penthouse for 2 nights, the parking is quite expensive it's £20 for 11 hours but the hotel can give you a permit for£10 a day which was fine just had to try and find a parking space, when we first arrived the room wasn't that clean, on the 2nd day i dropped remote control for t.v down side of bed only to find a USED COMDOM, and KY JELLY its not something u want to be finding when picking up a remote control so rung reception to get some one to come and pick it up she came up with some gloves removed it then ask if we wanted a drink for the bits found In room and not being cleaned properly. on the first day breakfast was ok second day had to ask for sausages to be warmed up as they were stone cold i said to waitress and she said ill get u a fresh one had to wait 5-10 minutes for another one to come out, when sausage did eventually come out had a hair on it, i it's really expensive for what u pay when you could go to a proper hotel for what u pay there.

1 Thank Sam190722
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very disappointed to hear there were a lot of elements of your stay you were not happy with! Unfortunately parking in Brighton as indeed most Major city’s can be expensive, this is why we do take the time to purchase the parking permits at a reduced rate from the council, and although you do have to park in the designated zone c area we do provide the laminated map with streets highlighted for customer ease.
You stated that the room wasn’t that clean upon your arrival, rooms are checked by a duty manager thoroughly before your arrival to ensure rooms are of the high standard of cleanliness we pride ourselves in.
I really don’t know how the condom down the side of the bed could have been missed as housekeepers have to lift the mattress to place the sheet on the bed! I am pleased swift action was taken by the duty manager to remove this, I can only apologise profusely about this and can assure you we did have an emergency housekeeping meeting earlier today to make sure nothing like this happens again.
I have looked into the breakfast service issue and was made aware the sausage was returned as you wanted it browned more nothing was mentioned about this being cold, all sausages are probed with a thermometer which is recommended by our health and safety officer to ensure food leaves at the kitchen at the right temperature. All our breakfasts are cooked to order which is why there was a delay in receiving your second sausage and at the time there was no mention of a hair and an empty plate was received by the waitress.
I am very sorry there seems to be no element of your stay that you enjoyed, as per a large percent of reviews below have commented on our breakfasts and cleanliness and service.
Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Neil Boyce