“Would stay again, but different room.”

Sea Spray Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Lovely staff, bedroom was small, bit tired and the windows needed a lick of paint! Bed was comfy and breakfast was lovely. Would have liked some pastries and cereals.
Had a treatment and it was dreadful. Massage table towel was damp and wet (cold body) and room was cramped. As a trained masseuse I found the therapist didn't know what he was doing, and was not enjoyable. But that doesn't reflect on the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Sea Spray Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Extremely friendly and welcoming. Good room, good breakfast. Excellent location for seafront and the lanes. Took the trouble to ring us to let us know we'd left some things (of value) in the room after we'd checked out. Will definitely book again if and when I'm back in Brighton.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Very attractive and clean boutique room. Very friendly and helpful management. Very comfortable beds which resulted in sleeping past breakfast but the smell was very appetizing. Very close to where you want to be in Brighton. Definitely to be recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon P
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This was a last minute booking...and a perfect choice i have to say. We would have stayed longer if they werent fully booked! Friendly and welcoming, nothing too much trouble. The renaissance suite was small but cute and cosy had everything we needed. Breakfast included was lovely. We will most definitly being staying again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LeySilvJJ
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and sorry we couldn't accommodate you for the extra nights you wanted!!!
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I have just come back from a 1 night stay in the "Hove actually" suite. I wouldn't normally write a reveiw but I feel obliged to let other people know. I paid a cheaper fee (thankfully) as it was mid week. If I had forked out the amount they normally charge I would be livid. First of all on initial viewing it seemed ok. But as everyone does you start having a look round. The bathroom was clean but the fixings were appalling the hot water turner came off in my hand and the cold took a lot of force to turn offThe shower had a leak in the edge of the shower head which decreased the pressure so much that it dribbled water on you. I then dried my hair on a hair dryer that was last electrically tested in march 2008! The bed was ok until I realised the slats had fallen during the night as they were not fixed to the bed resulting in a very uncomfortable nights sleep with my head nearly on the floor. The table that you would do your hair and makeup had no plug and the draw was the home of other people's hair! There was a battery operated fire alarm in the basement room which was just about held on with the fixings and there were no clear fire escape routes exept for back up the stairs and a door which said fire door keep closed, it was open all the time. I could here other people's conversations and cars all night.
The plus side to this hotel was the staff. They were friendly and polite.

I won't stay here again and I'm amazed that this is rated so highly.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Chandler07

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Firstly may i say i am very sorry your stay wasn’t an enjoyable one! We have of course looked into your points, the bathroom taps and the loose shower head have now been replaced my apologies for this, we do sometimes rely on customer feedback for certain maintenance issues to be brought to our attention, Had you had notified the reception team these issues could have been resolved sooner.
The hairdryer in question was indeed electrically tested in 2008! All appliances in the building were tested in November 2012 and i really don’t know how this could have been missed, this has now of course been replaced with a new one , thank you for making us aware of this as in that there is no socket near the dressing table, this is now on our maintenance list as will be remedied asap.
The bed slats on this design of bed are not supposed to be attached as they are all connected and fit nicely into the bed frame, upon my inspection of the room the slats were very secure and our housekeepers do monitor all beds with slats to ensure nothing has moved for incoming guests. I am sorry your night’s sleep was an uncomfortable one.
The old battery operated smoke detector was an oversight on our part and again is scheduled to be removed. There is of course also a hard wired smoke detector in the room as in all rooms in the hotel which is attached to the main fire alarm panel as we are fully compliant in our fire regulations.
The fire door mentioned is as per new fire regulations obsolete, as all door through the building including the room you were in have 20 minute fire doors, and the escape route is the stairway you mentioned leading to the main front door and reception.
Once again i am sorry your stay wasn’t an enjoyable one. I am pleased you did find the staff friendly and polite.
General manager

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We saw this hotel at a good price as a late deal and when they said we got discounted car parking we were sold! The Elvis room was small but had everything we needed for a short break and more - including a four poster bed, a guitar and....an elvis costume (which my other half refused to wear!) The room and the rest of the hotel was very clean and breakfast was excellent. The only thing stopping me from giving top marks were the noise - from people passing the room but also the plumbing, as it was very loud when someone was having a shower in another room. Location would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonLatestarter
Reviewed 12 February 2013

For the cost the Hotel was nice enough, nothing too fancy. However the service we received when a drunk guest turned up at 2am without her keys and proceeded to ring the bell not-stop for 45 minutes plus was less than acceptable. After calling the emergency number, we we're rudely told "I'm on my way" and then were unable to get through with the emergency number going straight to voicemail when the ringing had not stopped or relented. Having no response to my message was just the icing on the cake. Upon check out we were given a barage of random reasons, none of them accurate or relevant. It was a real shame as the rest of our evening had been so nice. Would not go back due to service alone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kjrstar
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

I am very sorry to hear this incident had an effect on what was otherwise an enjoyable stay with us.

On the evening in question our night porter did indeed have a couple of rooms who mislaid their keys after returning from a concert very drunk, one of which also lost their partner!
Our night porter was very swift in letting in the guests without keys, but had to assist them to their room which took some time and could have been when you were calling. Furthermore, the second couple to arrive without keys managed to somehow press the bell so hard that the mechanism jammed. It could not be turned off and she then spent a considerable amount of time taking the bell apart to turn it off as not to disturb anyone further. This has not happened before and we can only assume that it was the brute force of the drunk guests that attributed to this situation.
We have since turned the bell off in the evenings and informed staying guests who have lost their keys that they must ring the emergency phone number which goes directly to the Night Manager and therefore avoiding this situation again. This would prevent any disturbance to any other guests.
Once again i am sorry this situation occurred. We did attend to the situation as best we could, and appreciate it was very stressful for all concerned. I note that our reception team also offered you a complimentary late check-out till 2 pm so you could sleep in – in addition to breakfast in bed.
I hope you would consider returning to stay at Sea Spray and appreciate that this incident was beyond the hotel’s control.