“a quirky, friendly hotel in the heart of Brighton”

Sea Spray Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“a quirky, friendly hotel in the heart of Brighton”
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Have just returned from staying at Seaspay. It was my first visit to Brighton and it was made even better by staying at this hotel. The Elvis room was fantastic, the bed was sooooo comfy and the whole vibe of the room was fun. It was very clean and the people that worked at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were delicious, we looked forward to them each morning. The hotel is just a stroll away from Brighton Pier and all the local shops and bars. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My partner & I stayed at the Seaspray for one night in September 2009. It was a last minute trip to Brighton, so we didn't really do any research - we just needed to book something quickly.

We loved the location. Really close to the seafront, and the shops and restaurants of Kemptown. There are some lovely little places to eat & drink nearby & the vibe of that area of Brighton is really nice. And it's not far to get right into the main central area of Brighton.

Service at the Seaspray was good - we got into our room within a few minutes despite arriving quite early, and the lobby area is modern & welcoming. The breakfast was great - cooked fresh from local ingredients & included in the rate. They also accomodated my Mum joining us for breakfast (very close to the 10am finish) for £5. Coffee, juice, toast & choice of cooked breakfast all included.

OK - the room. We stayed in 'Hove, Actually' (all the rooms have names & themes), and we were downstairs - the room still got plenty of light though. Bathroom was pretty small, but perfectly acceptable. Shower OK, but electric, so not fantastic water pressure. There was an alcove that contained a wardrobe rail to one side & a chair/dressing table to the other. This proved useful for my partner to set up his laptop (and wi-fi access is available for free).

There is a flat screen TV with built in DVD player, and a DVD library at Reception. We didn't use it, but I do like this touch. There was complimentary mineral water & a mini fridge with chargeable items.

What really let the Seaspray down for me was the bed. It was truly horrible. Both my partner & I prefer a firm mattress, but this was like trying to sleep on a board. Bed was also quite small (probably just a standard double). It was really impossible for us to get a decent nights' sleep, and this was the one thing I really wanted! Perhaps we were just unlucky, and beds in some of the other rooms are better......if they could invest in some decent mattresses, it would be a fab little place.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2009
Thank you for your recent review of Sea Spray,

I am more than delighted that several elements of your stay were pleasant, however I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the firmness of the mattress in the room that you occupied.

The room in question has recently received a new mattress, which has been chosen specifically to ensure that it has the right balance of comfort for the maximum amount of guests. It is very difficult to cater for everyone’s taste, and we understand that a soft mattress can be well received my some guests, but can cause great discomfort to others, and therefore we opted for an intermediate level of firmness in this room. We do offer additional mattress comforters for those guests who prefer such an addition, and we are happy to offer this additional service when requested.

I am very pleased that you found the other facilities enjoyable, and am pleased to hear that our breakfast met your expectations. We strive to ensure that our guests are more than satisfied with the facilities that we have to offer, and are dependent on guest feedback to ensure that we are able to meet our goals.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you to Sea Spray again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Neil Boyce
London
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I was looking forward to a romantic couple of days in a 'superior suite with sea view'. I can't fault the sea view, but I take issue with the rest of the description. I was expecting at least a discrete (if not separate) seating area, but it was just a normal room. When I took this up with Sea Spray after my stay they said that because the room had a bay window that counted as the 'discreet' (sic) area. I also thought that it was not good value. Admittedly I had booked through LastMinute.com and Sea Spray told me that this meant there was a 20% fee on top of their usual price, but I still thought it not good value for money. The breakfast was excellent though.

1 Thank ClodiaMetelli
brighton
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I recently stayed at the seaspray with my partner and it was lovely! the room was gorgoeus with lovley views of the pier! the hotel is contemporary and I really enjoyed my stay! the breakfast was lush! The staff were extremly polite and very helpful! i would highly recommend staying here! x

Perugia, Italy
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We booked this hotel largely from their webssite. While the staff was goood, the breakfasts great, the room was so tiny it would have been small even for one single bed and person. Two people could not move around the room at one time, no place to sit other than the bed, no closet, wardrobe or dresser. SMALLEST of small. We felt misled at its 4 star rating (should be a 2 star) and the price of $200 plus per night we felt robbed. Next time I would pick the Ramada.

1 Thank Deborah49
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2009
May I firstly thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am very pleased to hear that our staff met your expectations, as did our breakfast, and whilst I am pleased that elements of your stay were enjoyable, I am concerned at a few of the points that you have raised. I understand that you stayed in our standard room category, and that your reservation was made through a third party booking agent. All of our rooms are comfortable in size, and the rates that we offer reflect the size and facilities that each of our room types have to offer. Unfortunately, as you chose to book through a third party online booking system, a substantial commission will have been added to the rates that we can offer guests, which will have inflated your room price considerably. Had you booked directly with the hotel, we would provided you with the opportunity to select your own room, with a detailed description of each rooms facilities, and a competitive rate minus any agency commission.

Thank you again for your comments. Feedback is essential to ensure that the service we provide is consistent, and it is regrettable that on this occasion we were unable to meet your needs. I very much hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Kind regards,

N Boyce
London
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I've recently come back from a long weekend in Sea Spray and had an absolutely fantastic time. Having stayed in most of the other upmarket hotels in Brighton, Sea Spray is by far the best value-for-money as they don't charge breakfast on top (and the English Breakfast is locally sourced and organic), and the service is really friendly.

I arranged a bottle of champagne on arrival and it was there, waiting and chilled. The room was big and had everything we wanted, and we were very close to the beach and Kemp Town's nightlife. Absolutely, 100% recommend it...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Having seen the hotel online, it sounded perfect, a real perfect imaginary get away place! However when we got to our room we felt as though we were in a sauna! The room was boiling!! We were sweating!! Not what we were expecting for the price we paid for the room!! To add to that, there was no room to move about whatsoever, we found ourselves dodging cupboards to avoid the bed. Not Happy!
We went down stairs and asked very politely for an extra fan (there was already one in the room) and they said they didn't have any. Having worked in hotels before i knew that this was unexceptable and the hotel would take responsibility for the room. Then we asked if we could have our money back so we could find a hotel that we could enjoy (we did go away to celebrate a birthday) but they repetedly said it is a non-refundable deposit. I myself was fully aware of that, and i would totally understand it if it was a personal problem, however when there is an obvious problem with the hotel itself, we should have never been refused our money back! After i pointed this out another receptionist said that we could move to a different room, but after the incident the weekend just didn't feel right staying there. Plus the bed in the new room was squeeking and wobbling all around.
Advice to you, be very carefull before you book, it may be classed as a 4 star, but to us it was 2star based on the first room.

1 Thank nfox11