“Very Poor value with small room”

Sea Spray Boutique Hotel
Ranked #17 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2009

I was very disappointed with my one night stay in the Oriental Room, I found the hotel was very poor value for money.
The room is tiny, anyone of over 5' 10" in height would find the double bed to short. There is barely enough space to get around the bed. The shower cubicle is also small and on our visit the wastepipe was blocked also the loo seat was wobbly.
The breakfast was very disappointing. The scrambled egg on toast appeared on one slice of toast there was no self service buffet arrangement with fresh fruit etc (even though there is an amazing fruiterers close by) etc etc.
The hotel was run by one guy who was the receptionist, chef etc with the resultant slow service.
At £135 for the night I can confidently say it is the most expensive b&b I have stayed in anywhere in the world!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geofones
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2009

Firstly as General Manager of Sea Spray Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the hotel and I am very sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Our hotel policy and culture is based on listening to our customers and taking appropriate measures to constantly improve the service and facilities we can provide within the limits of our Regency Building. All of our staff are employed due to their impeccable customer service skills and we will always try to accommodate reasonable requests.

I was concerned to hear of the disappointment that you experienced during your stay with us, and somewhat surprised as we had not been alerted to some of the maintenance issues you were experiencing – and if we had I assure you they would have been deal with as a matter of urgency – which is hotel policy. I have asked all members of staff - Duty Managers and Housekeepers working during your stay if they had received any requests for assistance but they have all told me that they had not been alerted to any problems in your room.

We perform weekly maintenance checks on various things such as tightening up screws on seats, unblocking shower heads and shower tray drainaways – however if one room has had a lot of usage (which Oriental had that week) then a problem can occur between our weekly checks. It is a simple 10 minute job we can do during a customer’s stay if need be - but regrettably we were not made aware that additional attention was needed. On inspection the next day we did realize that the water was draining away, but slower than usual, and I am of course very sorry that this affected your enjoyment of the room.

With regard to the size of the room, we are restricted to the dimensions of these 250 year old Regency Buildings. The City Double Rooms (the smallest in our room categories) are a standard double size room but are not spacious like our Luxury or Superior Sea View rooms - and this difference is reflected in our quality banding and pricing. However the English Tourist Board that rates our hotel has approved them as standard double room sizes and they all have a UK Double bed which is 6 ft 2” long.

We do have King Size beds in our larger rooms which are 6 ft 4” long and most beds do not have a footboard so that people taller than 6 ft 2” can sleep comfortably. A larger bed was not requested at time of booking and we assume that guests booking a regular double sized bed are not taller than 6 ft 2”.

The room size is sufficient for guests to walk round the bed and adheres to the Hotel regulations on ease of movement for a double room. We do not advertise that they are spacious rooms but do put all the other additional facilities enjoyed by higher graded rooms into these rooms such as a flat screen tv with freeview, dvd player, dressing area, minibar, CD player and wardrobe area.

The Sea Spray breakfast is always very highly praised and was served to you by our chef because you had requested an early breakfast one hour before usual breakfast service starts on a Sunday morning.

From an economical sense, it would not make sense to bring in the whole team (two waitresses and a Duty Manager in addition to the chef) one hour early for cooking and serving just two early breakfasts. The chef is also a Duty Manager and is trained to check guests out professionally, assist with luggage, ordering a taxi and settling bills. I have been informed that he did this with great care and professionalism and the customers had his uninterrupted attention throughout this additional hour of service offered to them.

I was in fact very pleased to hear that the hotel staff had acted professionally and correctly to agree to your early request for breakfast as we always want to accommodate customer requests and I am informed by the chef that breakfast was served efficiently and within fifteen minutes from drinks order to food plates served to the table - which is a reasonable time for a hotel that cooks every part of the breakfast fresh and to order.

Indeed we pride ourselves that we do cook fresh to order, using the best quality ingredients and as a conscientious establishment we do not agree with dried up food on a hotel buffet cart. Scrambled eggs are served on two pieces of toast and additional toast was requested by yourself and served in a separate rack. Ramekins of marmalade, jam and fresh butter are also present on the table for toast served separately to breakfast dishes.

The same is applied to the fruit and cereal courses as part of our breakfast menu. We believe in serving these to the customer so that they do not do any work!

There are four choices of cereal, fruit yoghurts and fresh fruit platter dishes on the menu – and an additional sign on the table prompting guests to try our wonderful fruit platters (which have a good choice of fresh fruit from a local farm and professionally presented).

The tariff of £135 is generally in line with other hotels of a similar quality grading and enjoying the great central location such as we do in Brighton – and within a few minutes of the sea. The price also reflects our room facilities (freeview flat tvs, dvd players, minibars, ensuite facilities and free internet wifi. Our general hotel facilities also included an in-house massage and infra-red sauna room which is unusual for a hotel of our size.

The tariff paid was slightly higher however than our usual tariff for a Saturday night booking as it also included a third party booking commission which is not received by the hotel. Had the customer booked directly with the hotel, the room rate would not have included this commission (which is quite substantial in some cases).

We do urge people to book directly with us on our website home page for this reason - and also guarantee that we will improve or match all third party internet rates dependent upon the day of the week required.

Once again I am sorry that there was cause for complaint following your departure and regret that certain maintenance issues had not been brought to our attention sooner. I do however believe that all other areas of service and attentiveness was carried out to the best of our abilities.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 16 November 2009

My wife and I stayed for one night on the spur of the moment thing.

PROS: Warm welcome, we had the "Renaissance" room, which had a view on to the sea and the pier. We each had a massage booked (£40 each) at the relaxation room. Although my wife wanted a facial which they don't do three doors down there is a beauty salon. Right in the heart of cafes, restaurants and pubs didn’t need to walk too far for anything and brought some nice gifts and produce from the local shops.

CONS: The room is very warm even without the radiator being on, the en-suite is small, but does the job at breakfast we where served toast with free mould (We sent it back) .The thing that really upset us is from about 17.00 onwards we could hear the guests upstairs, you could hear loud footsteps, the tv and muffled conversations. This didn’t worry me, as it’s part of being in an old converted house. We got back from dinner and about 22:30 to be greeted with the some noise; this went on until 02:00 waking both my wife and myself up sporadically.

On checking out the question “Did you enjoy your stay?” come up and on explaining what had happened, the receptionist said that the room was meant to be booked, and it had been cancelled so it was empty and she didn’t have an answer to why the room was occupied???? I would be concerned if the hotel doesn’t keep a track of who is entering its premises or maybe it was ghosts??

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

May I firstly thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Whilst I am pleased that elements of your stay were enjoyable, I am concerned at a few of the points that you have raised. Our heating is on timer controls to come on at various times of the day we feel is needed, there is a temperature control on each radiator to adjust temperature as required, and our heating is not left on through out the night as to not cause any guest discomfort.
I am very sorry about the toast, our kitchen procedures are usually impeccable. This was dealt with very promptly by our serving staff, I can only imagine that the bread had not been stored correctly overnight as fresh bread is used daily but the kitchen is hot day and night with the equipment and so bread is usually refrigerated. Our waiting staff are usually very professional with checks but sometimes when it is busy things can get missed. I hope this didn’t spoil your enjoyment of the breakfast and I will ensure you that more vigilant checks will be put in place and storage procedures reviewed. Once again I am very sorry this has happened.
I am also sorry to hear you were disturbed by other guests, who were staying in the room directly above you, as you must understand we cannot control their volume levels or indeed know they are being noisy unless we are told, we do have signs in rooms politely asking guests to be considerate to others during there stay and to keep volume levels reasonable, there is also a number in each guest room urging guests to contact our night manager if they have any problems including noise outside of reception hours, unfortunately we can’t do any more than this (nor could any other hotel).
Had this number been called this would have been dealt with promptly, resulting in you having a pleasant night sleep.
I would like to thank you again for taking the time to review the Sea Spray, and very much hope that you will return in the future in order to re-assess our service. Guest feedback is essential to the success of our business, and to ensure we are always striving towards our accreditations.
Kind Regards
General Manager.

Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed in the Manhatten suite and i must say it was lovely.

When you stay in hotels although its nice you always have the feeling your not at home but this suite makes you feel right at home.

Staff were really friendly location was great couldnt ask for more.

Will be going back no doubt about that.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed in the Moroccan room, our friends stayed in the Elvis room. Both rooms were very clean and were just as described on the website - very impressed with the hotel, staff and food were great.
A good place to stay as it is close to pubs, restaurants, pier etc.
Highly recommend it. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We arrived here for a one night special deal on a Sunday. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, and in particular Karen who kindly answered all of my questions prior to our arrival via email and phone. We arrived a little early, and although our room wasn't quite ready, our luggage was stored safely, enabling us to go about the rest of our day...

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Short stroll to the Lanes and Pier.... Spoilt for choice with bars and restaurants!!

We stayed in the Manhattan suite which was wonderful. Lovely view to the Pier. Bright, light, quiet room... Would definately recommend. The Hotel offers beauty treatments, so we booked a massage and a sauna..
We had a late check out the next morning (1pm) which was fabulous as we enjoyed a lovely long lay-in, and had a lovely full english brekkie delivered to eat in bed!!!

Would definately stay here again, and intend to very soon!!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Have just returned from staying at Seaspay. It was my first visit to Brighton and it was made even better by staying at this hotel. The Elvis room was fantastic, the bed was sooooo comfy and the whole vibe of the room was fun. It was very clean and the people that worked at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were delicious, we looked forward to them each morning. The hotel is just a stroll away from Brighton Pier and all the local shops and bars. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My partner & I stayed at the Seaspray for one night in September 2009. It was a last minute trip to Brighton, so we didn't really do any research - we just needed to book something quickly.

We loved the location. Really close to the seafront, and the shops and restaurants of Kemptown. There are some lovely little places to eat & drink nearby & the vibe of that area of Brighton is really nice. And it's not far to get right into the main central area of Brighton.

Service at the Seaspray was good - we got into our room within a few minutes despite arriving quite early, and the lobby area is modern & welcoming. The breakfast was great - cooked fresh from local ingredients & included in the rate. They also accomodated my Mum joining us for breakfast (very close to the 10am finish) for £5. Coffee, juice, toast & choice of cooked breakfast all included.

OK - the room. We stayed in 'Hove, Actually' (all the rooms have names & themes), and we were downstairs - the room still got plenty of light though. Bathroom was pretty small, but perfectly acceptable. Shower OK, but electric, so not fantastic water pressure. There was an alcove that contained a wardrobe rail to one side & a chair/dressing table to the other. This proved useful for my partner to set up his laptop (and wi-fi access is available for free).

There is a flat screen TV with built in DVD player, and a DVD library at Reception. We didn't use it, but I do like this touch. There was complimentary mineral water & a mini fridge with chargeable items.

What really let the Seaspray down for me was the bed. It was truly horrible. Both my partner & I prefer a firm mattress, but this was like trying to sleep on a board. Bed was also quite small (probably just a standard double). It was really impossible for us to get a decent nights' sleep, and this was the one thing I really wanted! Perhaps we were just unlucky, and beds in some of the other rooms are better......if they could invest in some decent mattresses, it would be a fab little place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2009

Thank you for your recent review of Sea Spray,

I am more than delighted that several elements of your stay were pleasant, however I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the firmness of the mattress in the room that you occupied.

The room in question has recently received a new mattress, which has been chosen specifically to ensure that it has the right balance of comfort for the maximum amount of guests. It is very difficult to cater for everyone’s taste, and we understand that a soft mattress can be well received my some guests, but can cause great discomfort to others, and therefore we opted for an intermediate level of firmness in this room. We do offer additional mattress comforters for those guests who prefer such an addition, and we are happy to offer this additional service when requested.

I am very pleased that you found the other facilities enjoyable, and am pleased to hear that our breakfast met your expectations. We strive to ensure that our guests are more than satisfied with the facilities that we have to offer, and are dependent on guest feedback to ensure that we are able to meet our goals.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you to Sea Spray again in the near future.

Kind regards,