“romantic weekend in Brighton”

Sea Spray Boutique Hotel
Ranked #16 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Both myself and my partner were very impressed with the hotel. All staff were welcoming and friendly. The room, although a little small, was very nice and comfortable. I liked the fact that it didn't feel like we were staying in a hotel room! We are deffinately plnning on returning to the Sea Spray in the very near future and we would also reccomend it to any friends who will be staying in Brighton as it is in a perfect location to get to the Pier, Marina, shops, bars and restaurants. Many thanks to all the staff at the Sea Spray :-)

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2009

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable weekend with us here at the Sea Spray. We strive to ensure that all of our guests feel at home, and I am so pleased that you did. Our guests comfort is our primary goal, and I am so pleased to hear that you felt so comfortable with us. It is essential that we receive feedback from our guests to ensure that we are achieving our targets, and it is wonderful to hear that we met your expectations.

I very much hope to welcome you back to the Sea Spray in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2009

I stayed at the sea spray with my daughter for her 25th birthday and also to see my son who is currently at university in Brighton. From the moment we arrived we felt very welcome, our room was delightful and absolutely spotless. Everything we needed was available in the room and we both would have liked to have stayed longer. The location was superb and there were numerous restaurants close by to choose from. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased to read your recent review following your stay with us here at the Sea Spray. I am particularly pleased to hear that you were pleased with our levels of housekeeping. We focus heavily on ensuring that our standards are kept at the highest of levels, and it is wonderful to hear that this is indeed the case.

I very much hope to welcome you back to the Sea Spray in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2009

The customer service at this hotel is excellent. The staff are only to pleased to be of help & are extremely knowledgeable about the local area. We stayed in the Renaissance Suite which was decorated in cream & gold. The room had a good view of the sea & pier. The only downside was the bathroom, it was tiny but we were advised of this before we booked so it was no surprise. The breakfast was superb.

Reviewed 29 November 2009

As soon as we arrived the friendly receptionist helped us with parking advice, we managed to find a space on the square outside the hotel which was very reasonably priced. We were able to check in about a quarter of an hour early, our trip down going smoothly; this posed no problem to the staff. As we had not visited Brighton before we were given a map and advice on how to get about town, the hotel had lots of information on what was on in Brighton. The hotel is five minute walk form the centre and two minutes from the beach-perfect. Everything we needed right on the doorstep.We stayed in the Marakesh Room which was tastefully decorated; lots of jewelled mirrors and lights and a beautiful screen headboard. The room was very clean, the bathroom was immaculate and had plenty of lovely white fluffy towels. The bed was huge and very comfortable, we slept really well! Breakfast was fantastic, decaffinated coffee, fresh, hot toast and a great veggie breakfast, my husband enjoyed his sausage and bacon sandwich. I would definately recommend this hotel and intend to vist again.

Reviewed 24 November 2009

I loved our Moroccan themed room at Sea Spray.

From the moment we arrived I felt taken care of and comfortable. We were given a map and shown where things were, which was very useful and welcomed. The room was beautifully decorated, a good size and was very clean (fab shower!), oh and very quiet! The staff are all friendly (came across 3) and willing to help wherever they can and give you useful information without you even asking e.g. We were checking out and they told us what time the trains were back to London and which ones to avoid i.e. the slow ones!

I would not hesitate recommending this hotel and I would definitely stay again.

Karimah, London.

Reviewed 23 November 2009

Stayed at this hotel just for a Saturday night and had a lovely time. We had the Rennaisance room, which is a great sized room with doors onto a balcony and sea view, looking out onto the pier. If any criticism can be made of the room it is that the bathroom is rather tiny, but that didn't bother us and the shower was fine. Apart from that it was great, very clean and with compimentary mineral water on arrival. Breakfast in bed was great too!!

The staff were all extremely helpful and gave a great recommendation on where to eat out in the evening, booking us a table whilst we went out for the afternoon. Very helpful in terms of giving us maps and highlighting places to go. We arrived early (about midday) and left our bags behind reception so we didn't have to carry them around all day and returned briefly to the hotel about 4pm. On checking in at 4 we found that our bags had already been taken up to the room - a very nice touch.

A great experience, especially considering the amount of pretend nice hotels there are in Brighton. Most impressed!

Reviewed 22 November 2009

I was very disappointed with my one night stay in the Oriental Room, I found the hotel was very poor value for money.
The room is tiny, anyone of over 5' 10" in height would find the double bed to short. There is barely enough space to get around the bed. The shower cubicle is also small and on our visit the wastepipe was blocked also the loo seat was wobbly.
The breakfast was very disappointing. The scrambled egg on toast appeared on one slice of toast there was no self service buffet arrangement with fresh fruit etc (even though there is an amazing fruiterers close by) etc etc.
The hotel was run by one guy who was the receptionist, chef etc with the resultant slow service.
At £135 for the night I can confidently say it is the most expensive b&b I have stayed in anywhere in the world!

1  Thank geofones
NBoyce, General Manager at Sea Spray Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2009

Firstly as General Manager of Sea Spray Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the hotel and I am very sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Our hotel policy and culture is based on listening to our customers and taking appropriate measures to constantly improve the service and facilities we can provide within the limits of our Regency Building. All of our staff are employed due to their impeccable customer service skills and we will always try to accommodate reasonable requests.

I was concerned to hear of the disappointment that you experienced during your stay with us, and somewhat surprised as we had not been alerted to some of the maintenance issues you were experiencing – and if we had I assure you they would have been deal with as a matter of urgency – which is hotel policy. I have asked all members of staff - Duty Managers and Housekeepers working during your stay if they had received any requests for assistance but they have all told me that they had not been alerted to any problems in your room.

We perform weekly maintenance checks on various things such as tightening up screws on seats, unblocking shower heads and shower tray drainaways – however if one room has had a lot of usage (which Oriental had that week) then a problem can occur between our weekly checks. It is a simple 10 minute job we can do during a customer’s stay if need be - but regrettably we were not made aware that additional attention was needed. On inspection the next day we did realize that the water was draining away, but slower than usual, and I am of course very sorry that this affected your enjoyment of the room.

With regard to the size of the room, we are restricted to the dimensions of these 250 year old Regency Buildings. The City Double Rooms (the smallest in our room categories) are a standard double size room but are not spacious like our Luxury or Superior Sea View rooms - and this difference is reflected in our quality banding and pricing. However the English Tourist Board that rates our hotel has approved them as standard double room sizes and they all have a UK Double bed which is 6 ft 2” long.

We do have King Size beds in our larger rooms which are 6 ft 4” long and most beds do not have a footboard so that people taller than 6 ft 2” can sleep comfortably. A larger bed was not requested at time of booking and we assume that guests booking a regular double sized bed are not taller than 6 ft 2”.

The room size is sufficient for guests to walk round the bed and adheres to the Hotel regulations on ease of movement for a double room. We do not advertise that they are spacious rooms but do put all the other additional facilities enjoyed by higher graded rooms into these rooms such as a flat screen tv with freeview, dvd player, dressing area, minibar, CD player and wardrobe area.

The Sea Spray breakfast is always very highly praised and was served to you by our chef because you had requested an early breakfast one hour before usual breakfast service starts on a Sunday morning.

From an economical sense, it would not make sense to bring in the whole team (two waitresses and a Duty Manager in addition to the chef) one hour early for cooking and serving just two early breakfasts. The chef is also a Duty Manager and is trained to check guests out professionally, assist with luggage, ordering a taxi and settling bills. I have been informed that he did this with great care and professionalism and the customers had his uninterrupted attention throughout this additional hour of service offered to them.

I was in fact very pleased to hear that the hotel staff had acted professionally and correctly to agree to your early request for breakfast as we always want to accommodate customer requests and I am informed by the chef that breakfast was served efficiently and within fifteen minutes from drinks order to food plates served to the table - which is a reasonable time for a hotel that cooks every part of the breakfast fresh and to order.

Indeed we pride ourselves that we do cook fresh to order, using the best quality ingredients and as a conscientious establishment we do not agree with dried up food on a hotel buffet cart. Scrambled eggs are served on two pieces of toast and additional toast was requested by yourself and served in a separate rack. Ramekins of marmalade, jam and fresh butter are also present on the table for toast served separately to breakfast dishes.

The same is applied to the fruit and cereal courses as part of our breakfast menu. We believe in serving these to the customer so that they do not do any work!

There are four choices of cereal, fruit yoghurts and fresh fruit platter dishes on the menu – and an additional sign on the table prompting guests to try our wonderful fruit platters (which have a good choice of fresh fruit from a local farm and professionally presented).

The tariff of £135 is generally in line with other hotels of a similar quality grading and enjoying the great central location such as we do in Brighton – and within a few minutes of the sea. The price also reflects our room facilities (freeview flat tvs, dvd players, minibars, ensuite facilities and free internet wifi. Our general hotel facilities also included an in-house massage and infra-red sauna room which is unusual for a hotel of our size.

The tariff paid was slightly higher however than our usual tariff for a Saturday night booking as it also included a third party booking commission which is not received by the hotel. Had the customer booked directly with the hotel, the room rate would not have included this commission (which is quite substantial in some cases).

We do urge people to book directly with us on our website home page for this reason - and also guarantee that we will improve or match all third party internet rates dependent upon the day of the week required.

Once again I am sorry that there was cause for complaint following your departure and regret that certain maintenance issues had not been brought to our attention sooner. I do however believe that all other areas of service and attentiveness was carried out to the best of our abilities.

Yours sincerely