“Plates of fabulous food”
Review of 64 Degrees

64 Degrees
Ranked #16 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$19 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in the Brighton Lanes, 64 Degrees is a small restaurant with an open kitchen by Great British Menu finalist Michael Bremner. Our passionate chefs concoct an evolving menu of tasty small plates using fresh, local produce. We hold a Bib Gourmand by Michelin and won Best Restaurant at the Brighton & Hove Food Awards 2014/2015. We were voted 16th in the National Restaurant top 100 list 2016 as well as being voted number 1 restaurant at the Brighton's Best restaurant awards 2016 & 2017.
Hove, United Kingdom
“Plates of fabulous food”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A recent arrival on the Brighton scene this restaurant delivers superb tapas size plates of food.
Table 12 at the bar gives you a ringside seat of the chefs at work creating visual tasty treats.
Plates of your chosen dishes of meat fish and salads are made to order and make sure to leave room for dessert.The waiting staff are friendly and deliver good service.
This is a small restaurant so be sure to book in advance to secure a table.
We will be back again very soon.!

Hove, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Inventive dishes, shame about the ambience”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Having read all the reviews here, I agree with all the positives about the food... excellent combinations of fine ingredients (the beef was to die for and the vegetables amazing) although the scallops were tiny (no corals) and not worth the money (especially being so near the sea!) I also like small plates and sharing, so no complaints there, and the whelk croquettes amuse bouche was a tasty nice touch.
However, I agree with a lot of the negatives. it's not a place to bring your Mum / date due to the communal, uncomfortable seating and the loud Daft Punk / Faithless soundtrack (presumably the chefs' taste). We also didn't appreciate the tumbler wine glasses but I guess they're less likely to get knocked over! I'd go back, sadly my husband or my Mum won't be... Recommend sitting in the window if you can choose, or if you're a couple sit at the bar to get the bird's eye experience of the chef.

• Visited May 2014
“Wow... see you again soon!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

What a great evening. The food was amazing the staff were friendly and the atmosphere was great. We will definitley come back again. The thing that stood out to me the most was the fact that the chef bought over the food when the waitresses were busy and he even explained how the food was cooked and what was in it. Great touch :) The food is outstanding, so many flavours and a great twist with English Tapas! See you again soon!

Norwich, UK
“An excellent experience!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I came out without my phone so feeling slightly more attached to the SurfacePro than usual!
10 people on tables, 12 on bar watching the chefs and 4 on back bar (that’s me!) I didn’t book. Advisable to book… I tried to get a table last night by phoning and they were full until 10pm, so it is worth booking in advance.

The menu was 4 choices under each of the headings of Meat, Fish & Veg and 4 desserts – the menu changes every day – so I could come back tomorrow as well!

Young, lively clients, current music not quiet – its vibrant… the noise of the cooking, the chatter of diners, the music all add to a proper Lanes atmosphere.

Merlot – served in a ½ pint goblet – all I need is a comely wench serving it! Goes well on the wooden bench and tables. Interesting to note that the Fizz choices on the menu were English Ridgeviews… very nice… who needs Champagne these days!?

The service was good, waitresses were friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and friendly on the eye too.

Tempura Sea kale stems with soft peanut butter served on onyx slab, while waiting, surprise from the chef.
Cauliflower, bhaji, caper – also with pomegranate, pureed cauliflower with a coronation feel, sultanas. Lovely. Slightly oily but a good 8.5/10. Now my taste buds want more. 2nd course came quickly…

Bream, oyster sauce, samphire & vitelotte (purple potatoes) – will the samphire be cooked Norfolk style or not?? No, it was restaurant style. Another great dish, fish cooked to perfection, samphire slightly al dente and the purple potatoes were a great visual addition… taste like potato but looked like a bruised beetroot – so slightly apprehensive and then pleasantly surprised. I am wondering if the vitelotte is a modern invention or a heritage vegetable like purple carrots (the waitress and I thought probably the latter). A slightly longer wait for the third dish… actually quite pleased I haven’t been rushed as eating solo sometimes means you feel it has been a fast food experience. Next!....

Pork, Beetroot, sage & walnut.. sounds like a good medieval special! I am hoping for a crispy belly pork but who knows what the chefs are cooking up!? Maybe golden beetroot to surprise me more? What will it be?
Well it wasn’t crispy belly or golden beetroot it was abso-bloody-lutely delicious… pork fillet so tender, marinated in soy, honey, the beetroot cubed with walnuts was complimented perfectly, I could eat this dish again and again and again – has to be the best dish I have tasted this year! Thank you 64Degrees I guess I had better stuff my diet and buy a dessert now so I can get the full experience. The Textures of Chocolate sounded awesome but as a sop to my waistline I have opted for a Rum Bear Jelly which is like a giant Haribo bear with lemon sherbert!

This is restaurant that is making its mark, has a unique character and style. If it always serves food as good as this its going to be one of THE places to eat in Brighton. Price-wise, given the experience, it is very reasonable, my meal this evening was only £32 including my glass of wine.

If I get to extend the assignment with my client here on the South Coast I will definitely be back.

Ashford, United Kingdom
“British style tapas elevated to a different level!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We loved this place and for a good number of reasons!
Seated at the pass (like a few others), we were able to see absolutely everything that was going on in the kitchen!
The menu has an interesting, if not fascinating, selection of small portioned dishes (but not too many)! This gives one the opportunity to taste an array of different flavours!
The staff are very helpful and equally attentive.
It’s small and cosy but has a great atmosphere!
When we booked it (some months in advance) were asked to be prepared to vacate the table after an hour and half; that was more than enough time to sample everything we needed and we were glad (for them) that this venue is so popular that others still wanted our places at 9.30pm!
Good luck to 64 Degrees! You have a great concept and a lovely restaurant!
Highly recommended!