“Well worth a visit”

Price range: US$20 - US$53
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in the Brighton Lanes, 64 Degrees is a small restaurant with an open kitchen by Great British Menu finalist Michael Bremner. Our passionate chefs concoct an evolving menu of tasty small plates using fresh, local produce. We hold a Bib Gourmand by Michelin and won Best Restaurant at the Brighton & Hove Food Awards 2014/2015. We were voted 16th in the National Restaurant top 100 list 2016 as well as being voted number 1 restaurant at the Brighton's Best restaurant awards 2016 & 2017.
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

64 degrees is a chic restaurant in the Laines. Quite small, but with a hustle and bustle reminiscent of a popular Sushi train in the centre of Sydney. We ate at the bar, which was great to be right in front of the chef and the kitchen, although it did make it difficult to chat to everyone (perfect if you go as a couple of with a friend). Being so close to the kitchen does get rather warm, so I suggest dressing scantily. Not much of a drawback though with friendly and fun staff to chat to and find out all about the food as it is prepared. Dishes come out as they are ready and a few plates is enough for most appetites. The dishes are all beautifully presented and most are zinging with impressive and exciting flavour combinations. Particular favourites were the pan fried cabbage with potato knoedel (amazingly smooth potato in a crispy case and the best cabbage I have ever eaten!), chicken wings with kimchi (delightfully spicy and fingerlickin wings) and although I didn't try them, the sardines looked absolutely amazing! Some of the portions are quite small, but all of the above are very reasonable. We certainly didn't leave hungry and, at roughly £25 a head for some exquisite food, I can't recommend this restaurant enough. Make sure you book ahead if you want to dine on a popular night, but rest assured, it is well worth the effort!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We loved the cosy atmosphere and excellent food - tapas style which was great to share. Attention to detail and great service.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I took my partner here for her birthday but left it very late to book (typical bloke). This left us with a 6.30pm slot on a Saturday, with a proviso that we had to leave by 8pm. We arrived 15 minutes early but a table was available right by the door, but it was warm and the breeze was welcome. We were to start with cocktails which were ither gin base, which i dont like, or something with lavendar in, which i also dont like, so i had a glass of sparkling english wine which was very good. We ordered the food as recommended, which are light sharing bites, with a recommnded three each. The food was great, if a tad pricey for what you got. The atmosphere was buzzing despite only having 22 seats i think. The wine we had was also a bit pricey, but for somewhere different to go for a treat i think its great. Be warned though, you could end up sharing a table. We felt a bit conscious of the clock as we had to leave by 8pm but the timings worked out fine. Overall a great meal but not somehwere i would go regularly.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

64 Degrees is an absolute gem. I visited on a Saturday lunch with my 1yr old son and wife and they couldn't have been more accommodating. The simplified menu is the only thing simple about this place. The food was a continuous fusion of tastes you would not anticipate working, the chefs here are very gifted. Salmon, watermelon & wasubi = a culinary surprise and dream. The best dish in my opinion. Brighton folk are very lucky to have 64 degrees on your doorstep. I hear there's a 2nd opening in London soon, I can't wait.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you're looking for a 3 course meal this isn't it. The dishes are small, the staff recommended 3 each which is probably right. The place is trying a bit too hard to be cool, so the menu lists only ingredients ( which when you think about it is just like a chippy so maybe not so cool). The food however, cooked in front of you if you are perched at the bar ( made a reservation, which I thought would be for a table, silly me) is excellent. Of our 9 dishes 8 worked and one was bland, which is a pretty good ratio. Mix of flavours was adventurous. Would go again if in the area. Only reservation was that on the stools it felt a bit rushed.