“Poor Vegetarian food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$19 - US$50
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Tucked away in the Brighton Lanes, 64 Degrees is a small restaurant with an open kitchen where our passionate chefs concoct an evolving menu of tasty small plates using fresh, local produce. In 2014 we were awarded a Bib Gourmand by Michelin and won Best Restaurant at the Brighton & Hove Food Awards, while this year we climbed 12 places to 24th in the National Restaurant Awards top 100 list.
London, United Kingdom
“Poor Vegetarian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at many restaurants and the mark of a good restaurant has always been whether it can cater for my vegetarian wife. The reviews and the style of 64 Degrees sounded awesome and I had no concerns over taking my wife there. Happily ordered all 4 Veg dishes and the scallops and pork belly....scallops were lovely and pork belly was nice but the veg dishes....mmmmm
Well the beet root dish was the best and presented well and tasted good but the rest were bizarre
The potato fried served with cabbage and smoked butter....cabbage was nice...potato could have been frozen and reheated and with the butter was poor vegetarian dish
The carrot dish wasn't nice at all and the flavour of the carrots not great
The seaweed dish again poor....concept of the dish was dire
So clearly the chefs are not vegetarian and nor am I but I tasted all their veg food and frankly have seen enough of this restaurant as would never return. From the hype, the concept it has been an utter disappointment and I'm so glad that I booked a table last minute rather than look forward to coming to this restaurant for months.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Blasterchris

Hastings, United Kingdom
“Exciting and Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

It's a brilliant little intimate restaurant, with a very warm atmosphere. The food is cleaver and delicious. I love trying new flavours and this was perfect for that. Every dish look beautifully presented, we really weren't dissapointed. The only thing I'd say is make sure you book ahead, the only time we could go for the date we wanted was 9:45 and by that time we were starving.

Brighton
“Not very impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was looking forward to going here, having heard so much about the place, however I thought the whole experience needed a lot more thought.

I wasn't bothered about the lack of space (intimacy) or ambiance, my gripe is about the food and service.

The food was quite tasty in places but generally over salted (I like well seasoned food - I'm french), lacking pizzaz and tiny portion sizes sloppily/lazily put together with premium pricing.

The girl who served us seemed to posses the skills of a regular coffee shop assistant, inexperienced at looking after the guests, and felt like a bit of an effort.

Generally frequenting up and coming restaurants in London, I have a good idea what is decent and what's not and It seemed to me that 64 degrees is punching way above it's weight.

Unfortunately, as pleasant as the staff were, I couldn't help feeling that there was an air of arrogance about the place which left a nasty taste in my mouth (not food related).

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jamesclarke40
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Exciting Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Intimate, tight little restaurant with a lively feel to it. Sat up at the pass, watching our food being prepared calmly and expertly. Service is efficient but without any frills or fuss. The food was genuinely exciting - interesting flavour combinations, beautifully presented and great flavours. The small dishes concept gives the meal that 'tasting menu' flow, meaning you're always excited about what's next. Don't ignore the vegetarian dishes - these were our favourite and considerably cheaper to boot. Great restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
“Great food with a seasonal menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

One of those restaurants that has the formula down pat - limited but incredible menu, great win list, limited space, trendy location. Have eaten here twice now - you definitely need to book ahead for dinner and I would recommend the last 'shift' - last time I got a last minute booking it was the first shift of the evening starting at 6pm meaning we had to be done by 7.30pm - all well and good except when we'd had all our plates served the dessert menu was limited because we only had 15 minutes left! Luckily I felt like crepes and ice cream around the corner....
Definitely worth a visit though and the seasonal changes (every month I believe) will keep the regulars coming back for more.

1 Thank TalesFromLoz