“A great, friendly B&B in a brilliant location.”
Review of Amherst Brighton

Amherst Brighton
Ranked #40 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed at The Amherst over the May bank holiday with my girlfriend and it was brilliant. Lee and Marcus are fantastic hosts, nothing was too much trouble - parking permits were ready along with great advice on the area. Breakfast was really good, with a lot of choice and the room was well above the normal B&B standard. I would recommend this B&B to anyone, we loved our stay there!

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed 13 August 2012

A lovely place to stay. One road away from the sea front. Two great hosts who had a genuine warmness to them, you felt welcome from the moment you stepped inside the house. Nothing was too much trouble. We had the top room, and whilst there were loads of stairs the room was fabulous, clean roomy and extremely comfortable.

I would recommend staying here to anyone wanting to be near the sea. You must also try the cooked breakfast, the scrambled eggs were to die for so light, I wish I could make mine like that.

All in all a really good place to stay you couldn't want for more.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My fiancé and I (aged 27 and 26) booked last minute for a weekend break in March 2012, having read the reviews on here.

We received a warm welcome and then our heavy bags were carried all the way up to the top floor where a beautiful attic room and great views were waiting for us under the eaves. Very smartly (and brightly) decorated with everything we needed for our weekend stay – from memory, even cable TV, which is a real bonus in a UK B&B - we were not disappointed with our room.

Breakfast didn’t disappoint either. We had the continental on Saturday morning and paid a little extra for cooked breakfast on Sunday. I can honestly say those were two of the nicest breakfasts I’ve had outside my own home: freshly prepared, non-greasy and excellent quality. Orders are placed one day in advance by way of filling out a breakfast chitty. There is plenty of choice. We opted for one item in each category, but they were so accommodating I think we could have got away with ticking a few more boxes! We overheard another couple specially requesting unsmoked bacon (not on the chitty) and their request was happily granted.

The Amherst is in a quiet location, but still only 10 mins walk from the Pier and the Lanes.

We travelled by train, so I can’t comment on the parking situation. It was unfortunate that we couldn’t leave our bags at the Amherst following our check out on Sunday, as this meant we had to lug our heavy wheely bags around Brighton for the day, but this is small B&B and they just couldn’t guarantee anyone would be around at the time we wanted to come back and collect them.

This is a lovely pace to stay. At the time of writing it’s ranked no. 10 for B&Bs in Brighton. I find it hard to believe there is even one which is better! Thank you Amherst for affording us a fantastic weekend break. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ach85
Reviewed 6 August 2012

What an absolute gem of a hotel! Marcus and Lee could not have been more charming and helpful. This is a wonderfully cosy hotel, with a boutique feel and in a great location. Excellent service with a warm and friendly welcome. I would not hesitate in recommending this to anyone

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah E
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We booked last minute for a spontaneous couple of nights away. We picked the Amherst because it was good value and the reviews nothing but complimentary, and not without reason. We had the warmest welcome and although we had no problems at all I'm sure any thing we could have needed would have been sorted. The room was clean and comfortable, if a little warm, but you can't control the weather. I dont think the location could have been better, just a minute from the pier, but far enough away not to hear boozy hens and stags, and under a 10 minute walk into the town and shops. I loved Brighton and loved this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I've stayed in many places in Brighton but never felt as welcome as I did at Amherst. Mark and Lee were superb providing a smooth check-in, excellent local knowledge when it came to a place to eat and a wonderful full english the next day! Such a friendly environment, tasteful decor, absolutely spotless and excellent central location - 30 seconds from the beach and in the lively area of Kemp Town. My friend and I were made to feel so welcome. I will definitely be using Amherst again. We stayed in Room 10 on the top floor, amazing views and very peaceful.

Room Tip: We had room 10 which, albeit was on the top floor, had lovely views and a great shower! I would defi...