“DANGEROUS, HEALTH AND SAFETY NIGHTMARE!!!”

New Cosmopolitan Brighton
Ranked #84 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Deal, Kent
“DANGEROUS, HEALTH AND SAFETY NIGHTMARE!!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

i went with my partner for a nice relaxing weekend away as we have had recent health issues.
The couple in the room above us(my parents) were asked to leave their room at 4am in the morning as there was a big water leak, ensuring us this was fixed properly the following morning.
On the sunday morning our whole ceiling in our room collapsed in one hit, damaging all our property.
Although we were not hurt the thought of what might have been was absolutley terrifying.
The hotel agrreed in writing to compensate us for this in but are now going back on this.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and found that the lies and deciet of it all disgusting.
We have now had to report all of this as it wasnt even reported to health and saftey board.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lulucolo
BrightonCosmo1, owner at New Cosmopolitan Brighton, responded to this review, 27 August 2009
We sincerely regret the incident that happened just before a guest left. Complete refund for both nights of their staying was made.The incident has been reported to health & safety board and the case is under their consideration.

P.s. Cosmopolitan One Ltd has recently changed to Bed & Breakfast and is no longer represented as 3-star hotel.

Cosmopolitan One management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This hotel is not up to the standard you would expect for a 3-star hotel. In our room, the shower had black mould on the ceiling above which looked disgusting. The curtains in the room were falling down and thus wouldn't close properly.
On one day we returned to our room in the afternoon and found that the chambermaid had left the door open so anyone could walk in.
The security is also lacking in reception. We came back to the hotel to collect our luggage on our last day, and the door of the hotel was open but nobody was on reception.
We didn't have breakfast during our stay, although we had paid for it, as it is only served from 8-9 am which is quite early for a weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EDLADY

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

north west
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Avoid this place like swine flu !. I stayed here not by choice but as there were no other rooms available due to seminars going on i had to take what i could.
The rooms are disgusting, the carpet hadnt been hoovered for weeks (flip flops at all times)and the towels in the room were not changed all week. Every door in the hotel is meant to close on a damper but when guests let go of the doors BANG was all you got and this went on until the early mornings.
The shared shower room was only cleaned when i did it my self(should have given them a bill for my services)and the toilet was disgusting , no paper ,door would not lock and the smell !!.
The staff on reception were not very helpful and one girl in perticular(she knows who she is)needed lessons in manners!.
The only plus point if there was one was the breakfast, not too bad but if you wanted to eat before 8 am then tough!
Oh another plus pont was when i let the door slam shut when i checked out.
You have been warned.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank beemermtec
Birmingham England
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Booked earlier this year. Read revews 2 weeks before going and they were bad but thought we'd check with the hotel that our rooms would be clean. Emailed hotel with our concerns and they said our rooms would be spotlessly clean.
Clean - they don't know the meaning of the word. This hotel is a death trap. It was so bad, we just couldn't even stay one night and we're not the most houseproud of people.
Room was extremely tiny and tatty. When I took bed cover off, the quilt cover had not been changed. Top and bottom sheets were clean but torn. Took them off and felt physically sick - there were bodily fluid stains, yes, that is plural and more than one of each type, on the mattress cover - unwashed. Lifted that up and matress was disgusting, lifted that up and base matched the rest.
Had taken bleach wipes with me so thought I had better clean toilet. Started at back, behind seat - yes, I'm going to say it - excretia abounded as well as hair etc.
I was moved to a ground floor room - furniture falling apart, door lock didn't work, no wired in fire alarms in evidence, fire doors didn't close properly, carpets threadbare etc.
This is a real dump.
Fortunately, a couple we met told us about the Amsterdam - for just £10 a night more than the Cosmopolitan it was luxury - spotless, amazing service and staff. Large airy rooms with everything you coud wish for. Entertainment in the bar was great. Will write a separate review.
They said they had parking but don't - parking is out on the street and costs £9.00 a day - if you can manage to find a space.
Sea views - only from side windows because this hotel is down a side street, not on the sea front.
Just don't go to the Cosmopolitan unless you want to catch something very nasty!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Sugal
coventry
Reviewed 3 June 2009

very dissapointed in this hotel, arrived sat 30/05/2009 about 2pm, room was ready. was told by the receptionist it was the best room in the hotel, we were excited about that, 49 stairs later we arrived at our room,impressed with the view but not the state of the room, dirty table cloth floor not hoovered,we reported this to reception,they apologised and sent someone up straight away, for two nights it cost us £170 breakfast included i dont think this guest house is worth that.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wiseowlCoventry
surrey
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I would have expected more from a hostel. The rooms were dirty, the bedside tables were covered in crumbs and stains and the carpet (full of holes) looked like it had not been hoovered. The furniture was shabby, stained, and looked like it hadn't been changed in about 15 years. Bacause the room was so cold, an electric heater had been provided. I was relunctant to touch this as it was covered with purple/brown sticky stains. Even with this switched on I woke up shivering throughout the night. The bathroom was horrible. Four bits of used toilet rolls were provided, some with about 2 sheets left. There was no shower, only a dirty bath which came with a little gift of a black curly hair and soap scum down the side.. Needless to say, we did not use the bath! Also the little bottle of shower gel that had been provided had already been used. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to be hygienic and warm.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jc3112
Croydon
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Upon arriving at the hotel, at first glance from the outside, a little skeptical. But upon entering, I was surprised to see the receptionist very nice and helpful. She showed me to my room after paying, even carried my hold all for me, which was a little heavy, but she insisted.

The night was cool for me as I'm the type of person who gets warm very easily. yes, even in winter nights. It was quiet, and was easily able to drift off into a nice relaxing sleep.

The room I stayed in was small and cosy, the bathroom was just right for me.
Another good thing about this hotel, it was open 24hrs. I even came to the hotel at 5am, (after clubbing with my friends) and the receptionist greeted me and made me a coffee.

The price for my room was worth it, due to being nice and cosy.

I stayed there last weekend, and still miss it. :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo